camerabox.co.uk question

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
has anyone had any dealings with the company camerabox if so what was the out come

Very unsatisfactory. To cut a long story short they messed me about until I cancelled the order. They charged my cc and then refused to send out the good until I met their security requirements. I told them to poke it.

Ordered a 55-250mm off them and a 430ex II and they have been brilliant. Even phoned me to make sure delivery address was ok (I mucked up the postcode). I'd use them again and again.

i've used them a few times, first two times every thing went fine, the 3rd time was a totaly joke, ordered a lens that i was told was in stock, couple of weeks later i hadn't heard any thing from them, so range them up to be told the lens was out of stock and it would be with me sometime the next week. waited 2 weeks and still no lens, rang them again and was told the same thing, waited 2 weeks again and still no lens. phoned them again, and you guessed it was told the same thing. it went on for about 2 and a half months befor i cancelled the order.
they had also taken the money for the lens when i first ordered it.

to be fair to them thought, they did refund me straight away and they said that their supplier kept letting them down with lens delivery, whether is was b/s i dont know.

Last edited:
I ordered my lens from the expecting next day delivery.

They sent it out on time but it was the courier company that messed up.

Other than that they were fine.

I ordered my lens from the expecting next day delivery as well

They sent it out on time but it was the courier company that messed up. 8 days to deliver

Other than that they were fine.

7:47 #8
hillbilly ben
New here

hillbilly ben's Gallery

I ordered my lens from the expecting next day delivery as well

They sent it out on time but it was the courier company that messed up. 8 days to deliver

Other than that they were fineOld Today, 17:31 #6
mark.abersoch
Quite Chatty

Camera: Nikon D60
mark.abersoch's Gallery This user allows their images to be edited and reposted (on these forums only)

I ordered my lens from the expecting next day delivery.

They sent it out on time but it was the courier company that messed up.

Other than that they were fine. what's going off here then

I posted a thread about them recently. My order was incomplete when it arrived, and despite contacting the company twice (because it was late being sent out due to problems with the warehouse), nobody told me that the filter I had also ordered was not in stock. All I got was a handwritten note stuffed in with my invoice saying "Filter to follow". Their customer service is difficult to get hold of on the phone, but at least you can speak to them in person and they are based in the UK.

I bought from them on the back of good feedback about them in the TP forums, and I can't deny that their prices are competitive. I was left with mixed feelings - my lens (Nikon 80 - 200 f/2.8 AF-D) was packaged well and is a superb item - enough that I overlooked the late delivery (only by one day, so hardly the end of the world). However, when my order was then also incomplete, I asked if the company would consider a refund of the delivery charge because I had paid for next-day delivery and then received a delayed, incomplete order. The rep refused to budge on the delivery charge, saying that it was a "mandatory service" over and over again.

I would say you pays your money and takes your choice. I had a slightly eggy-smelling experience with them, but it wasn't so crap that I would avoid them in the future if they had something I *really* wanted. However, for stuff I could get elsewhere for the same price, I wouldn't make them my first choice based on my own experience.

Many people here at TP have had excellent service from them, though.

I posted my experience in the other camerabox thread. Essentially, after asking if their D700 stock was UK or not because the price was very cheap, they confirmed it was UK/EU sourced, bought the camera to find out it was a Japanese version with no missing power lead, a printed / photocopied / stapled manual which was an inch thick (no joke!). In the end, I returned it as I wasn't happy with a grey import and because they had lied (maybe by accident).

If not worried so much about UK or not, I guess it doesn't matter.

edit: there was an interesting post-return event though: I completely forgot that I had registered the body with Nikon. A few months later, I received an email from Trading Standards asking if I was the owner of a D700 with serial number blah. I asked why and they said someone else had purchased the camera and tried to register it only to be refused by Nikon because it was still registered to me. So obviously, the camera had been resold to someone else. Not sure if they were told it was a new model or a returned one...

Last edited:
Ordered a Lumix for my better half which turned up reasonably quickly, but developed a fault within a fortnight. Sent it back to Camerabox after some procrastination on their part.
I told them I wanted a replacement, they told me it would be repaired. I protested and said that was not acceptable after such a short space of time but they went ahead anyway. The camera was with them for nearly 2 months.
The guy at camerabox told me it was because off a back log at the manufacturer, now what does that tell you about their products?!
When the camera came back to me after about 7 weeks it was exactly the same, not repaired at all.
I then sent it back again, and told them it was unacceptable and that I had lost faith in the brand and the supplier and wanted my money back. they refused.
They had the camera in their possession for repair longer than the total time I had it in mine and they took forever to refund my money after the repair farce.

They offered to send me a replacement camera (not a better one either) in a different colour, I refused again and eventually got back my money.

I was disgusted that a present I bought for my girlfriend spent so much time out of her possession and back at the repairers, so much so that she had a trip away minus a camera, which is never a good thing.

I will never use that retailer again, I'd rather get stitched up at jessops

Hi,
I've only bought filters from Camerabox - primarily because they claimed to have them available for next day delivery. This was true on the first instance, but not so true on the second. I got the filters a few days later and they were well packaged. I guess the true test is when things go wrong. There's enough evidence above to make your own mind up but I guess you only ever really hear the bad stories - although some of these are pretty awful.

For excellent service, I can sincerely recommend Grays of Westminster. I bought a second hand lens and to cut a long story short they were absolutely superb. Yes, it was a little more expensive than other sources, but when it didn't turn out right, Grays stepped up to the mark and went well beyond. I'll be buying from them again. And no, I don't work there. Or have family there. Nor am I looking to be sponsored by them.

I bought a D80 from them, that was about 2 years ago though. They were hekpful on the phone with advice and it all arrived fine.

They really do seem to have a mixed reputation. So I doubt that they're absolute rogues and are actively trying to rip people off, but maybe get caught out by difficulties in getting stock in time and things like that. But on balance I think I'd look elsewhere.

I ordered a lens and was annoyed to find it was not in stock. All this despite the fact that they had this great facility where it told you how many they had in stock at the time of ordering. They also had the nerve to slag other companies who dont tell you that you will have to wait until they order it from their suppliers. Would suggest cameraworld. They were really quick and had a great tracking facitlity. It told me my order would arrive at 3pm on a certain date and it was 30 minutes early. I did place another order with them and it was out of stock but they were very quick to let me cancel if i wished.

bought something from these guys on a credit card last autumn. took a while to get the camera, a week or more instead of days because, not their fault, some toe rag drove into their warehouse wall, and nicked lots of stock.
they were pretty good on the phone and offered to cancel the order. all worked out well with the order in the end, apart from it was for a friends trip abroad. however, not their fault for that one.

I ordered a lens and was annoyed to find it was not in stock. All this despite the fact that they had this great facility where it told you how many they had in stock at the time of ordering. They also had the nerve to slag other companies who dont tell you that you will have to wait until they order it from their suppliers. Would suggest cameraworld. They were really quick and had a great tracking facitlity. It told me my order would arrive at 3pm on a certain date and it was 30 minutes early. I did place another order with them and it was out of stock but they were very quick to let me cancel if i wished.

I would also highly recommend Camera World. Not only is their service excellent, they also have two shops where you can very easily approach them and speak to them. They're probably my favourite retailer.

I bought an SB600 from them just before christmas last year, arrived next day.No problems.

Last month I bought a Canon 55-250 (bundle) off them (no probs)

Last week I ordered a camera for my wife (Sony T900), again no problems at all

On both occasions I was advised my goods had been shipped and they turned up on time. Keen bundle prices too

Back