Beginner Cameras for high quality videos?

Edit My Images
No
I know nothing about taking pictures or recording video other than the odd photo on my phone.

However I've just got a new puppy, marine fish/coral tank and have a few hobbies where I would like to take good photos but also high quality videos which would surpass that of an iPhone for example, as I love the style of slow pace, still videos documentary

Does a camera do both do I need to buy a 'videocamera'?

I'd like an all rounder really around £500-1000 (including lens)

I would like to have good resolution close up/macro shots whilst being a decent distance away, and the videos would mostly be still shots rather than rapid movement

Any help/ guidance is appreciated!

I would say to start with your iphone and have a go and If it’s your cup of tea then invest in a camera.

I would say to start with your iphone and have a go and If it’s your cup of tea then invest in a camera.
I agree.
My youngest son is currently working on a video project using nothing but his iPhone (plus a few lesser phones) and the image quality is outstanding, so my advice is to try that first and then move onwards and upwards later, if you feel that you need more.

The various "effects" including slowmo and speedup are easily achieved at the editing stage.

If you want more then a decent second-hand DSLR with video quality is likely to be much better (and much more versatile) than a dedicated videocamera. I have a friend who uses an old Canon 6D, which is more than good enough for most people and which won't cost a lot second-hand.

For video the absolute crucial thing is stabilising one way or another.
In your puppy example handholding would be almost essential, for that type of subject where you can be quite close, an action camera like (recent model) Gopro or Osmo Action might be a good choice - they have great inbuilt stabilisation now, and they are useful to have around anyway even if you later picked up a more serious larger camera

For video the absolute crucial thing is stabilising one way or another.
In your puppy example handholding would be almost essential, for that type of subject where you can be quite close, an action camera like (recent model) Gopro or Osmo Action might be a good choice - they have great inbuilt stabilisation now, and they are useful to have around anyway even if you later picked up a more serious larger camera
Agreed, a gimbal (if not built in) is essential for everything hand-held. Not the cheapest, but very good https://www.lencarta.com/shop-products/gimbals-stabilisers
Or win a free one here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...etition-prize-worth-£159.736710/#post-9131720

Good technique is the best way to master hand-held video without the shakes. It is easier than you think and just involves the angle of your hand... have your palm facing you. Why not search for a second hand Canon 5D3. You can easily find one for under 500 quid. The video is top notch.

Just a personal thought but composition, lighting and pose etc. will all make a better image than more megapixels... Phones can take great images and the 'fake' depth of field can look really good :)

An iPhone and the DJI mobile gimbal produce some really nice results. The DJI Pocket 2 is also a great little camera. I used to shoot video on my DSLR but moved to these solutions for simplicity.

Back