Campervan - The new "must have" piece of equipment ?

Oh Les

tell me more why a few vans at an RSPB reserve upsets ya please. Not grinding axes mate I am very curious I've been locked into one by the warden on one rare early exploit into camperland it was wonderful, We had chatted a while I felt like I was the custodian of the place for that night it was lovely. I am an RSPB member by the way but I best not say where that was .

We have a local reserve that spent a fortune building the most stunning bird hide it has been trashed by morons more than once having the odd member about at night camping on site is something i've always thought might be a good thing.

Hope the arm is less of a pain now kiddo should I call ya Frank now mate?:runaway:

seeya:)

I couldnt park my truck in the car park is why Stu - As a memeber of the RSPB I feel I should at least be able to park on an RSPB car park - especially when they park right under a sign clearly saying no overnight parking- I was there at 4.30am mate so they had been there all night empty cans of Fosters around 2 of them- not in a bin, just on the car park- I telephoned the Warden who arrived around 6am an moved them all on and told them to remove the rubbish they left too

Theyt were not bird watcher or photographers just camper looking to avoid paying for one of the many camp sites aroumd the levels mate

My arm has stopped hurting now, but Im finding if difficult to hold my camera with a 200-600mm lens on it :(- Tripod and gimbal I'm thinking??

Les :)

I couldnt park my truck in the car park is why Stu - As a memeber of the RSPB I feel I should at least be able to park on an RSPB car park - especially when they park right under a sign clearly saying no overnight parking- I was there at 4.30am mate so they had been there all night empty cans of Fosters around 2 of them- not in a bin, just on the car park- I telephoned the Warden who arrived around 6am an moved them all on and told them to remove the rubbish they left too

Theyt were not bird watcher or photographers just camper looking to avoid paying for one of the many camp sites aroumd the levels mate

My arm has stopped hurting now, but Im finding if difficult to hold my camera with a 200-600mm lens on it :(- Tripod and gimbal I'm thinking??

I've got one of these
Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 07-52-43 Manfrotto XPRO Video 5 Section Aluminium Monopod Wex Photo V...png

I can't really see that changing.

The Governments response. (Full response at the link above)

The conditions of the offence apply to those residing on land in or with a vehicle who cause significant damage, disruption, or distress and who do not leave when asked to do so. Those residing on land in a vehicle who do not cause significant harm will not be caught by the new offence. The high threshold to be caught by the offence helps ensure any enforcement action is proportionate.

While there is a lot of hysteria on the internet over the bill, here is a more level headed view

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeM4MVZQ93U

Thanks for posting that link. It seems like a fair reflection of what might happen. I'm sure these aspects of the Bill are designed to make Extinction Rebellion protests easier to police and remove, but it is possible there may be "Unintended Consequences"

Thanks for the reply Les can't be easy one hand typing.................... OMG mate why can't folks pic up their bloody rubbish, sorry Les the littering has me spitting fire. if I was in front of you I'd be swearing like a good un, , frankly it's hard to rein it in now :banghead:

I don't understand why the RSPB don't allow overnight parking for members as a universal policy Les, after all we actually FUND their activities, . It's not like a single RSPB member who gives up his or her hard earned is going to damage what they pay monthly to support, it's utterly illogical Plus as I mentioned above folks on the ground in the small hours means vandalism is far less likey. I know my views are swayed being a campervan owner mate, but there is a simple logic behind the above:)

Once that cast is on a while the pain relief is wonderful..............i broke mine twice bro both times sent home for a week of misery with a sprain diagnosis, had to go back second time be knocked out have it to reset it's a long time back but clearly remember the misery of that week before cast first I was a tot can't remember nowt. We are very lucky to have our NHS:love:

Glad you mending kiddo if I had a big tripod that's where I'd go for sure. !! Fair play for keeping on going out Les, god I'm starting to go nuts trying to be discplined and build this bus not go picky making I am on holiday right now am determined to down tools and go see some hares soon just waiting for a sniff of some nice light ;)

I was at a local RSPB reserve only last week and despite a sign stating "No overnight camping" I was greeted with 6 camper vans and one caravan in the car park, this has to stop surely???

Ps Im am not anti camper van, I had a split screen VW van a few years back -

In my experience some RSPB wardens actually encourage people to camp overnight in their car parks because it deters thieves and vandals. Others hate it. I don't know if there's an official policy they have to follow.

The only place I have EVER (in about 30 years) been asked to move on late in the evening has been on National Trust carparks. It has happened twice. But I'm pretty careful.

This is the relevant law about parking in laybys and grass verges -SECTION 34(3) ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 1988.

"It is not an offence under Section 34 (1) if a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on any land within 15 yards of a road being a road on which a motor vehicle may be lawfully driven, for the purpose of parking the vehicle on that land."

So this wouldn't apply on (eg) land alongside private roads, or in car parks. I'm sure some very grey areas but currently and it looks like under the new law how many police officers are going to take action? there are few enough of them as it is.

The explosion in camper vans is part of the issue as it not the odd camper van now. Don’t get me wrong Im not anti camper vans as I’d love a camper (mainly for the extra space during the day and being able to stay in my own accommodation close to photography locations). Many camper van owners aren’t following the arrive late, leave early , leave no trace rules that were followed previously.

I’m away in the peaks at the moment. I went to a national trust car park last night where there is currently no payment meter (it’s been removed for some reason) and now no signs or notices saying no overnight parking. When we arrived at 1830 for sunset there were a few campervans in the car park. I went back this morning for sunrise and the same campers were still there (a few more had joined them). When I drove past again on the way back to our accommodation at 0900 6 of the 8 campers were still in the car park, one of which was already there when we visited at 1830 the previous night.

I don’t have an issue with camper vans myself. If they‘re following the arrive late leave early, leave no trace most people except probably photographers (who are still out after sunset and out before sunrise) won’t notice they have been there.

I don't understand why the RSPB don't allow overnight parking for members as a universal policy Les, after all we actually FUND their activities, . It's not like a single RSPB member who gives up his or her hard earned is going to damage what they pay monthly to support, it's utterly illogical Plus as I mentioned above folks on the ground in the small hours means vandalism is far less likey. I know my views are swayed being a campervan owner mate, but there is a simple logic behind the above:)
I’ve been wondering this myself. places like national trust car parks would be ideal for an approved camper van scheme as it would bring in extra funds and provide some security overnight too (Im noticing quite a few remote parking payment machines aren’t in operation and I’ve seen multiple machines broken in to). I do think it should be an extra cost on top of normal membership. It’s not fair on other members just giving a benefit that can only be used by the lucky few owners of camper vans, and it could be move cost effective than paying for camp sites etc.

The issue would be that it potentially takes trade away from local camp site/pubs who could lose trade from such a move. You could argue it’s aimed towards capturing those who don’t pay for campsite/pub stopovers at the moment do shouldn’t reduce their trade but I can see some who dont ‘wild camp’ at the moment starting to if it’s authorised.

Camper vans are a difficult subject to discuss as most are on one side or the other. The sad fact is the worse it gets the more car parks that will end up being locked overnight and that will affect photographers visiting for sunrise/sunset. Like everything it will be thd minority that ruins it for the majority.

In my experience some RSPB wardens actually encourage people to camp overnight in their car parks because it deters thieves and vandals. Others hate it. I don't know if there's an official policy they have to follow.
I’ve heard it’s unofficially allowed in certain RSPB reserves (Bempton Cliffs? Don’t quote me on that!). I doubt you will ever find anything official and in writing saying it’s allowed or not as it would be abused by some unconnected persons (ie people who have absolutely not intention to visit the reserve and pay entry during the day). It’s better to have the ‘no overnight parking’ notices up and turn a blind eye when it suits. Imagine if RSPB reserves were put on the wild camping camper van parking Internet websites (which are also a big reason why camper vans are a problem now).

On a visit to Snowdonia last week there were new signs at most laybys saying that it is illegal to park overnight without the landowners permission. It didn't say who owned the layby ( who does?) but there was just the suggestion of illegality which would put some people off. On the other hand quite a few people were ignoring them completely.

I tend to arrive late at night at these places and "don't see" the signs........ ;)

I’m away in the peaks at the moment. I went to a national trust car park last night where there is currently no payment meter (it’s been removed for some reason) and now no signs or notices saying no overnight parking. When we arrived at 1830 for sunset there were a few campervans in the car park. I went back this morning for sunrise and the same campers were still there (a few more had joined them). When I drove past again on the way back to our accommodation at 0900 6 of the 8 campers were still in the car park, one of which was already there when we visited at 1830 the previous night.

I don’t have an issue with camper vans myself. If they‘re following the arrive late leave early, leave no trace most people except probably photographers (who are still out after sunset and out before sunrise) won’t notice they have been there.
Curbar Edge?

Known in the motorhoming fraternity as FLT's......... Free Loading To$$ers :D, tolerated when they are respectful of the environment but a number obviously aren't.

I'm on my third self built campervan. But I don't specially put the camper and photography together.
My previous one I build to live inside and was huge.
My current one I use daily for commuting so it have to be small(lish). I have a movano SWB but high roof to be able to stand up. Because it's 4.8m long I pay the same price as a car on my local ferries. It was mostly built to go spend the day on the beach with a nice cup of tea but we took it recently to hoy for 3 days, to sanday for 3 days, and then a little trip to aviemore (highland wildlife park) and dunkeld coming back by the black isles (chanorny point trying to see dolphins but no luck). Great times spent with my girlfriend and my boy.

Some photos from the first trip. I managed to do a bit more inside since. It has all you need to cook and sleep the three of us. There is a small single bunk for my boy and the sofa opens up into a real double size bed.

20210719-movano-DSC02730.jpg
20210715-movano-DSC02378b.jpg
20210719-movano-DSC02484.jpg20210719-hoy camping-DSC02582.jpg20210718-hoy camping-DSC02482.jpg20210719-hoy camping-DSC02744-Pano.jpg20210719-hoy camping-DSC02810.jpg20210719-hoy camping-DSC02837.jpg
These picture describe very well the lovely orkney summer we've had this year while every else has been suffering from heat waves...

I'd be the one put off by the signs Jerry that is almost a given :( , I really try hard to abide by our laws as best a simple guy like me can I try live by a code mine ;) to try and treat others well I almost bend over backwards not to tread on other folks toes thanks for Section 34/3 ahh mate what I said about the sheer brightness of you guys somewhere above ...thank you

and Rob that's why I'm finding this all so hard . I really feel like this innocent little dream of mine to be able to go away and make images of the birds and animals I adore is under threat,I've still got my head down grafting like hell on the bus and yet all the time there seems to be one step backwards after another ,, all of which is out of my control ie the sudden rise in staycation and camper owners.

ok clever folks:p let's see what ya got:D I'm sorry OMG that sounds so bad but hey :LOL: .......I've always loved that sheer intelligence some of you have in areas I struggle with..can anyone help me with this stuff

Talk to me on off grid leccy LiFe PO4 batteries.

I want to put one 100AH lithium battery under each single seat, of my VW transporter I have a 150watt solar panel on roof and a victron energy 75/15 MPPT solar charge contoller, sorting that out I'm about to add a "Vic " 12 12 30 Orion Tr smart B2B to replace my split charge relay I want to know if it is possible. to configure the LiFePO4 batteires in this way I'll be parting the batteries with a rough estimate of a 1.5M cable run.can anyone here spec that cable? I'd also like to have the abiliy of redundancy Ie if one battery was to fail the other still works,. So rather than the conventional plus to plus neg to neg IE parallel I'd like to run equal (ie same length )cable runs to a +ve bus bar and same with neg. The neg will join at a Victron smart shunt and be monitored by a BMV 712 and both will be covered by breakers rather than a fuse

Is this doable?

Oh, and how cool is my life:banghead: today is the first day of my 2 week holiday First non lockdown shielding what ever break for 2 years and tomorrow I'm back at work,

Being very serious I'd love some help, I've no real plans on an invertor as yet bar a small one to charge camera batteries I will be running the wallas XC due a weaco dometic CRX 65 hopefully a TV lights and a few 12V ancilliaries.

huge thanks to anyone that can help me here

take care

stu

I'd be the one put off by the signs Jerry that is almost a given :( , I really try hard to abide by our laws as best a simple guy like me can I try live by a code mine ;) to try and treat others well I almost bend over backwards not to tread on other folks toes thanks for Section 34/3 ahh mate what I said about the sheer brightness of you guys somewhere above ...thank you

and Rob that's why I'm finding this all so hard . I really feel like this innocent little dream of mine to be able to go away and make images of the birds and animals I adore is under threat,I've still got my head down grafting like hell on the bus and yet all the time there seems to be one step backwards after another ,, all of which is out of my control ie the sudden rise in staycation and camper owners.

ok clever folks:p let's see what ya got:D I'm sorry OMG that sounds so bad but hey :LOL: .......I've always loved that sheer intelligence some of you have in areas I struggle with..can anyone help me with this stuff

Talk to me on off grid leccy LiFe PO4 batteries.

I want to put one 100AH lithium battery under each single seat, of my VW transporter I have a 150watt solar panel on roof and a victron energy 75/15 MPPT solar charge contoller, sorting that out I'm about to add a "Vic " 12 12 30 Orion Tr smart B2B to replace my split charge relay I want to know if it is possible. to configure the LiFePO4 batteires in this way I'll be parting the batteries with a rough estimate of a 1.5M cable run.can anyone here spec that cable? I'd also like to have the abiliy of redundancy Ie if one battery was to fail the other still works,. So rather than the conventional plus to plus neg to neg IE parallel I'd like to run equal (ie same length )cable runs to a +ve bus bar and same with neg. The neg will join at a Victron smart shunt and be monitored by a BMV 712 and both will be covered by breakers rather than a fuse

Is this doable?

Oh, and how cool is my life:banghead: today is the first day of my 2 week holiday First non lockdown shielding what ever break for 2 years and tomorrow I'm back at work,

Being very serious I'd love some help, I've no real plans on an invertor as yet bar a small one to charge camera batteries I will be running the wallas XC due a weaco dometic CRX 65 hopefully a TV lights and a few 12V ancilliaries.

huge thanks to anyone that can help me here

take care

stu

It looks like your electricity need is not that huge I would question the need for 200ah of LiFePO4 batteries.
I run a domestic 36l compressor coolbox, led light, diesel heater (which also need 12v). And I only have one 100ah of normal leisure battery.

The 150w of solar for 200ah Lifepo4 + starter battery is a bit on the weak side so probably for nearly 300ah of battery is maybe not enough?

I'm in a forum called SBMCC where there is a few people good with this kind of stuff. It is £15 per year to register. Sorry, it might not be allowed to refer to another forum on here but in this case, I believe your question is well out of the "talk photography" spectrum. Some guy will help you with your cable issues, the normal way to not create an unbalance is this way:

the-correct-way-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel.jpg
But you seem to know a lot more that I do about all the fancy stuff!

Last edited:
Thomas thank you so so much for the reply. I'm a bit belt and braces really buddy .I see the batteries as the beating heart of those little luxuries that change a tin box into something nicer to spend time in. I can't be doing with design that don't function mate ..................it's gotta work........... fit and forget

I concur 200 AH is probably overkill and on the 150 W of solar being a bit small. Ideally I'd buy one batt and try it, but that leaves me with a possible dilemma later if it's not enough as it seems best practice is too buy all the batteries in a batt bank at the same time. They all match up

Regarding solar also utter agreement long term plan is a foldy typ panel, as well The idea being park van in a shadey spot and have foldy panel on lead in full sun grabbing some juice. and adding to what the roof top panel gives. The roof top pop top mind is just an all the hours of daylight grabber, but it's not sufficient

Thom there is a huge significance ( FOR ME ) in the combo of Li FePO4 and how it takes a charge, and that B2B,

B2B going to litterally ram 30A into the batts one is turning the engiine into a genny and the batt chemisty is able the really utilize that grunt ,if ya like, where lead acid simply can't

Buddy I have some form of background in music I made a recording studio not blowing my own trumpet at all I was as amazed as anyone it works. what i'm trying to get out a view of leccy and how it works That is the base of studio i'm a really simple lad and make simple analogies think of leccy like water. it's that flow of electrons that is similar but because we can't see it ,it's hard to conceptualize. If one thinks ahh it's like water it becomes less fancy .

IE two sources charging a batt...do they interfere with each other? Nah.......... think two pipes filling a bucket, the bucket fills faster the pipes don't mess with each other, same with solar and B2B and mains charging use 'em all together batt charges faster

Yes your circuit diagram is a basic parallel batt to batt link so one doubles amps but volts stay at 12 and yes I'm digging a bit deeper it's not that fancy though bro, it's trying to make something that works and musing how to put that into practice.

Cheers for the reply mate I loved seeing your images if I didn't acknowledge forgive me I'm stretched all ways. ha" too little butter over too much bread"

There is always a way mate it's just finding the lad or lass that can tie all the strings together. I'm not an electrian haven't got the in's and outs quiet yet but I will

cheers muchy

Thomas thank you so so much for the reply. I'm a bit belt and braces really buddy .I see the batteries as the beating heart of those little luxuries that change a tin box into something nicer to spend time in. I can't be doing with design that don't function mate ..................it's gotta work........... fit and forget

I concur 200 AH is probably overkill and on the 150 W of solar being a bit small. Ideally I'd buy one batt and try it, but that leaves me with a possible dilemma later if it's not enough as it seems best practice is too buy all the batteries in a batt bank at the same time. They all match up

Regarding solar also utter agreement long term plan is a foldy typ panel, as well The idea being park van in a shadey spot and have foldy panel on lead in full sun grabbing some juice. and adding to what the roof top panel gives. The roof top pop top mind is just an all the hours of daylight grabber, but it's not sufficient

Thom there is a huge significance ( FOR ME ) in the combo of Li FePO4 and how it takes a charge, and that B2B,

B2B going to litterally ram 30A into the batts one is turning the engiine into a genny and the batt chemisty is able the really utilize that grunt ,if ya like, where lead acid simply can't

Buddy I have some form of background in music I made a recording studio not blowing my own trumpet at all I was as amazed as anyone it works. what i'm trying to get out a view of leccy and how it works That is the base of studio i'm a really simple lad and make simple analogies think of leccy like water. it's that flow of electrons that is similar but because we can't see it ,it's hard to conceptualize. If one thinks ahh it's like water it becomes less fancy .

IE two sources charging a batt...do they interfere with each other? Nah.......... think two pipes filling a bucket, the bucket fills faster the pipes don't mess with each other, same with solar and B2B and mains charging use 'em all together batt charges faster

Yes your circuit diagram is a basic parallel batt to batt link so one doubles amps but volts stay at 12 and yes I'm digging a bit deeper it's not that fancy though bro, it's trying to make something that works and musing how to put that into practice.

Cheers for the reply mate I loved seeing your images if I didn't acknowledge forgive me I'm stretched all ways. ha" too little butter over too much bread"

There is always a way mate it's just finding the lad or lass that can tie all the strings together. I'm not an electrian haven't got the in's and outs quiet yet but I will

cheers muchy
Hard to find good info (wouldn't trust any of the Facebook group) or even the right professional to do the job has all this sort of kit is super new. Honestly have a look at sbmcc website, there are a fair few people on there which are using this technology and all the wizardry that goes with it. Some good knowledge on there.

Ha I don't use FB.

Thom the guy that makes/ designed/ sells the batteries I want to use is in striking distance. I'm here digging as always......... here to learn and have a crack. But simply I'm heading straight for the horses mouth as it were :) Forgive me being vague at this time I'm being selfish as battery stock levels are coming and going

Mate don't quote me on this but I am fairly sure the Li Fe PO4 tech has been about for quite a while now, the trouble is it has been prohibitively expensive . So it's only just starting to really find it's way into the van scene as the prices start to drop. It's still a significant investment though.

It's just ( for me) lead acid doesn't really suit our needs in campers too slow to charge and too damn heavy it really doesn't "like" being drained out each night and really one doesn't want to drop it below a 50% state of charge so basically we pay for 100AH have all the weight and size to go with that and then can only really utilize 50AH

Cheers again on the link Thom it's not being ignored, I just don't really want to invest in another forum at this time, especially with the batt maker close enough for me to hopefully visit with the bus ha and me being up to me eyeballs

take care buddy

stu

Back