Campervan - The new "must have" piece of equipment ?

Lol. I never said it was adult and reasonable but no blood was spilt lol.

Jerry are you concerned because you suspect the value of your T5 might be in more than 40K,I feel I might have missed something here? But if your t5 is worth 40K then possibly I haven't. :)

thank you

stu

Sorry stuart, only just seen this post. It was the emissions figures I think I was worried about. My T5 is definitely not worth over £40k!

Air bed on the floor and a spade to dig a latrine!

Jerry call me stu everyone does:) thanks for the reply it doesn't matter it took a while,..... life is a train ride....... thank you:)............frankly when not grafting, I've had my head immersed in all things T5 since asking.. We have honed in on a particular van part converted bed and pop top, in place. I'm hoping she'll be ours in weeks,we'll see. I suspect I'm going to learn alot about a VWT5's with a 5pot engine............. we'll be buying basically at the bottom of the pile. The body is sound and essential works done conversion wise by a pro rib crash tested bed, westdubs top. I think after you popped the seed into my head maybe 3 years back,it might finally happen

Jerry aren't these T5's complicated,there is even confusion in the trade, it seems, on which oil should go in the early one's,get the wrong one premature cam ware might be on it's way:confused: Yee gads I just want a dam good night's sleep where me beasties are

Van is not camper( motor caravan, bless ) until those few criteria are met, on the UK gov site. I still haven't got to the bottom of everything but it's bloody exciting,and really taxing,mentally .

VW have this cult following ,which is cool, but folks add bits that are not necessarily legal.......... wheel and tyres spring to mind....... lights next. For anyone else thinking along the lines, I am, one buggy: not too thirsty, good strong rust resistant body, and those thought turn to vee dub.

Be damn careful if you are having to buy low end!! Scams all ways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple stuff
If your wheels circumference isn't what VW intended,then your speedo is out (if not corrected..... can it be done?? )

Wheels have to be a certain load rating for a van it depends on what your van can carry weight wise. Get this wrong insurance is invalid your driving illegally ,be real careful here guys

For me the t5, fairly small, good strong body, is a long term simple and basic solution as a VERY basic camper,not silly expensive to run,many others feel the same,

Things like wheels and tyres simply being legal is something one might not ponder when buying a camper.......... bloody important though !! ;)

,sorry to go off on one....................... Jerry re emissions god knows what might happen, I've learnt ,the very early T5's ( until somewhere in 2006) didn't have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) if that helps:LOL::LOL:

stu

I've had a campervan (t5.1) for around 2+ years now.

Summary:

CamperVan -> Tent

But only just, the key to sleeping well is having a customised mattress (topper) that perfectly fits into the shape of the van at the back otherwise you will end up with many a night waking up with a bad back if there are two of you sleeping on the mattress.

We have been thinking about buying a campervan for a while.
The idea of touring around the coasts of the UK and the added bonus for some photography is highly appealing.

I've had a campervan (t5.1) for around 2+ years now.

Summary:

CamperVan -> Tent

But only just, the key to sleeping well is having a customised mattress (topper) that perfectly fits into the shape of the van at the back otherwise you will end up with many a night waking up with a bad back if there are two of you sleeping on the mattress.

Mark what does the phrase below the word " summary" mean. please??

We have wanted for yonks and finally got the old T5 part converted, I mentioned above. I'm slowly getting things how we want. First up addressed the mechanicals got the wheels off ASAP seems they were not the right load rating and then spent a few quid on the mechanic side. Slowly wading through what we really need conversion wise.

For me two things are paramount sleeping comfort and warmth at night . It's all been very slow but wonderful to wake up where I want to make some images at dawn and not have to drive there first. With us togs always questing for magical light the dawn and dusk shooting should be somewhat easier now.

Oh Mark although I don't totally understand your post even our RIB bed ( they are very expensive around 2/2 1/2 K) needed a topper it's a damn comfy and SAFE seat but by god that bed is uncomfortable.:(

stu

Mark what does the phrase below the word " summary" mean. please??

We have wanted for yonks and finally got the old T5 part converted, I mentioned above. I'm slowly getting things how we want. First up addressed the mechanicals got the wheels off ASAP seems they were not the right load rating and then spent a few quid on the mechanic side. Slowly wading through what we really need conversion wise.

For me two things are paramount sleeping comfort and warmth at night . It's all been very slow but wonderful to wake up where I want to make some images at dawn and not have to drive there first. With us togs always questing for magical light the dawn and dusk shooting should be somewhat easier now.

Oh Mark although I don't totally understand your post even our RIB bed ( they are very expensive around 2/2 1/2 K) needed a topper it's a damn comfy and SAFE seat but by god that bed is uncomfortable.:(

stu

The campervan is great if like you say you are doing some early morning togging and you are the only one sleeping there. However, we found that unless you get a top end "mattress topper" that has been created to exactly match the seat profile (when in "bed mode") it can be a very uncomfortable night if there are two of you (i.e. you and your partner).

We spent a small fortune on a Smart EVO which by far is the best one out there but we made the mistake of getting (expensive) a mattress topper which was slightly bigger than the seat and what we found is that it curled up at the edges slightly. This just made the entire process uncomfortable and quite often we would wake up either with a sore neck/back/what have you and also looking something like out of the walking dead. This issue was resolved once we shelled out around 500 for a top of the range custom built mattress topper.

The other issue being with two people, it is quite the task to get up when there is limited space and shuffle down to the edge of the seat (unless you prefer to open the door behind door and just fall out the back of the van) if you need to make a night time toilet trip etc.

We also have the pop top roof but to be honest we just use that for storing stuff when we've unpacked.

So top tip if not sleeping alone: no matter "how good" the mattress topper is - do not get one unless it exactly matches the seating area profile when lain out in the bed configuration. This may mean you may need to get one custom fitted if you do not have the an official VW campervan (e.g. a T5.1 conversion like me).

So back to my summary:

Campervan > (is greater than) Tent in terms of comfort. But only just.

Obviously I'm being a little bit mischievous - with the fridge, oven, hob and water it's brill for everything else. You just can't beat the sound of a kettle whistling away while making a hot pot noodle/coffee early in the morning. Or if you don't' mind the smell on the fabric - a bacon sandwich!

One final thing with VW Campervans (and conversions) - the residual retention is just silly. If you get a good deal on the campervan you can quite easily sell it for same or even slightly more 2 years later.

Last edited:
It appears to me that one of the main problems is keeping warm. There are varying ways of heating the van up but condensation causes all manner of problems. Just about everythng else one can get around if one takes a sensible approach.

Small to medium basic camper = happiness and fun.

Big and luxurious = aggravation and disappointment.

:cool:

This!

Looked at a couple of T6 VWs this week and hoping to buy next week, my wallet will weep but you can’t take it with you :)

The campervan is great if like you say you are doing some early morning togging and you are the only one sleeping there. However, we found that unless you get a top end "mattress topper" that has been created to exactly match the seat profile (when in "bed mode") it can be a very uncomfortable night if there are two of you (i.e. you and your partner).

We spent a small fortune on a Smart EVO which by far is the best one out there but we made the mistake of getting (expensive) a mattress topper which was slightly bigger than the seat and what we found is that it curled up at the edges slightly. This just made the entire process uncomfortable and quite often we would wake up either with a sore neck/back/what have you and also looking something like out of the walking dead. This issue was resolved once we shelled out around 500 for a top of the range custom built mattress topper.

The other issue being with two people, it is quite the task to get up when there is limited space and shuffle down to the edge of the seat (unless you prefer to open the door behind door and just fall out the back of the van) if you need to make a night time toilet trip etc.

We also have the pop top roof but to be honest we just use that for storing stuff when we've unpacked.

So top tip if not sleeping alone: no matter "how good" the mattress topper is - do not get one unless it exactly matches the seating area profile when lain out in the bed configuration. This may mean you may need to get one custom fitted if you do not have the an official VW campervan (e.g. a T5.1 conversion like me).

So back to my summary:

Campervan > (is greater than) Tent in terms of comfort. But only just.

Obviously I'm being a little bit mischievous - with the fridge, oven, hob and water it's brill for everything else. You just can't beat the sound of a kettle whistling away while making a hot pot noodle/coffee early in the morning. Or if you don't' mind the smell on the fabric - a bacon sandwich!

One final thing with VW Campervans (and conversions) - the residual retention is just silly. If you get a good deal on the campervan you can quite easily sell it for same or even slightly more 2 years later.

Much thanks for the indepth reply Mark, very much appreciated. Yes the "greater than" sign had me foxed last night. The words on the topper have been headed almost by accident I guess I took the van to someone local whom made the topper to our bed design,I need to get used to it now before passing further judgement,but it is a definite improvement on where we started.........out of interest who made your 500note topper. Tis a lot of money for some foam but the good night of sleep is utterly so important: despite reservations I can see your logic. what types of foam ,I presume a mix of memory and maybe the blue(unsure of correct nomenclature) foam,how thick ??

The way the dubs hold value was almost incidental i'm hoping the van will do us for my foreseeable active future,no real intention of upgrading or selling .The scene tax is somewhat astounding though .

cheers again

It appears to me that one of the main problems is keeping warm. There are varying ways of heating the van up but condensation causes all manner of problems. Just about everythng else one can get around if one takes a sensible approach.

Comfy bed and warmth are two huge priorities for us. We'll go either the Wallas route of an eber/planar diesel heater,def not gas. as the main off grid heater. My take on the condensation aspect at this time was to use a dehumidifier on returning home. It won't help when camping sure but overal might help.

Does any one have any reservations about running a dehumidifier in a T5 after camping??

Comfy bed and warmth are two huge priorities for us. We'll go either the Wallas route of an eber/planar diesel heater,def not gas. as the main off grid heater. My take on the condensation aspect at this time was to use a dehumidifier on returning home. It won't help when camping sure but overal might help.

Does any one have any reservations about running a dehumidifier in a T5 after camping??

Interesting how differing opinions are! We're going gas for the heating, definitely not diesel, as it's half the price and we can use it for cooking too!

Don't think you'd have any problems using a dehumidifier, but a couple of tips for dealing with condensation, maintain airflow by leaving the window open a bit and use a Karcher window vac if you get any! The best small purchase we made for our van is wind deflectors on the front doors (stick on ones, NOT push in ones) as this lets us leave both front windows open all the time about an inch with no worries about rain getting in like you would with a roof vent etc.

Completely covering the front windscreen and side windows is a more expensive way of helping reduce condensation as it lowers the temperature of the glass, downsides are cost, idiots can nick them and it doesn't help when you retrying to 'stealth camp'.

IMG_1459.jpg

Much thanks for the indepth reply Mark, very much appreciated. Yes the "greater than" sign had me foxed last night. The words on the topper have been headed almost by accident I guess I took the van to someone local whom made the topper to our bed design,I need to get used to it now before passing further judgement,but it is a definite improvement on where we started.........out of interest who made your 500note topper. Tis a lot of money for some foam but the good night of sleep is utterly so important: despite reservations I can see your logic. what types of foam ,I presume a mix of memory and maybe the blue(unsure of correct nomenclature) foam,how thick ??

The way the dubs hold value was almost incidental i'm hoping the van will do us for my foreseeable active future,no real intention of upgrading or selling .The scene tax is somewhat astounding though .

cheers again

Hi Stuart,

apologies - just noted your reply; the company we used is

https://www.duvalay.co.uk/

We were recommended this company by a friend and they do not disappoint. They do custom jobbies too.

Hi Mark thanks again mate ,funny I was recommended the same company yesterday by a guy whom pulled up beside me in a biggish motor home. A lovely chap,bless, he even stayed put while I tried to grab some images of mum and baby pied wagtails. Mark no worries on reply we were away for a night in the van . At this time i'm finding the sleeping combo we have damn uncomfortable Mark,I might get used to it everything is early days for us. So the link is very much appreciated. It's so utterly debilitating not having a good nights sleep!!

Mark I was rushing last reply, differing opinions I wouldn't have any other way:).

On the gas/ desiel debate the wallas is a cooker too,( XC Duo) webasto also make one (X100) and yup also silly stupidly expensive. My thoughts center on no naked flame no combustion in van,as the fumes should exhaust outside . The biggy though not having to find gas when I run out. We met a couple who spent a whole day trying to find gas somewhere in EU. There is no doubt in my mind that the diesel is no where near as flexible as gas and as you say the appliances them selves cost so much it's eye watering. I can see why most use gas Mark I really can . As above a few days/nights in a van is little experience so little is written in stone .i've also mused the pure sine convertor and maybe a little induction hob option . Alot of choices to make on how to make the best use of that tiny space Cooking isn't the biggest deal in the world I have other options we carry a little colemans petrol stove everywhere a sportster 533 a fantastic little tool

cheers again for the come back. I'm very undecided about the bed. also cheers for the tips I'm all ears :cool:. We got a silver screen from paragon which is brilliant it wraps the front cab and by luck the bus came with the little window wind deflectors you have mentioned so we seem to be on the right track there. I'm just not sure on the bed yet I may well have got that wrong:( .

Many thanks.

stu

I’ve got a transporter, it’s my daily driver and is also used as a base to get changed, have lunch etc after a walk/bicycle ride with the wife.

It is NOT a campervan - the thought of sleeping in a tin box, one of us taking a dump in a bucket right next to the bed where the other one was laying and trudging across to a communal shower block fills me with dread.

Hotels are the only places we stay when not tucked up in our own bed at home

The van started as a panel van, I’ve done all the bits myself such as fitting the windows, table, rear seats and swivel on the front passenger. It’s known as a Kombi, will seat 5, still loads of room behind for two bicycles or the weekly shopping etc.

59BB27F0-D0CA-44DC-BC5F-2C57AC4B7C30 by the BLOATER, on Flickr

D666C3F8-378D-4A40-AF5E-4874AFB06328 by the BLOATER, on Flickr

C2CAACDD-F711-4C12-AAD1-A7388474C6C6 by the BLOATER, on Flickr

Last edited:
One option people may not have considered is to have a layout which includes two single beds, rather a "rock n' roll" double bed. The company that I bought mine from - Leisuredrive - has this option and there may be others.

Each front seat slides forward and the back reclines. There is a different layout on each side but the result is the same - two single beds. It is also possible to slide out a metal framework and add an extra mattress to make an (almost) full length double bed. The funny thing is, it is actually more comfortable than a flat mattress! It must be something about the slight angles created by the reclining front seat that fits me perfectly. I can get back pain on a flat mattress at home , even a thick one with a mattress topper, but I've hardly ever experienced it in the camper.

This layout is particularly useful if you're likely to be using the van mainly on your own. You can leave the passenger seat down and one single bed set up while you drive and there's no need to rearrage anything when its time to crash out. the kitchen area is at the back on the passenger side so none of the cupboards and units are obstructed when the double bed is down, as would be the case in the normal layout.

Just a thought......!

My new addition after much deliberation!

IMG_0485-1-1024x768.jpg

and less than a year later Im selling the old girl :-(

Paul a very simply Q...why???

stu

Don't get me wrong, I love having it and have done loads including fitting spotlights and refitting the interior to the original large bed setup etc etc and got it through the MOT after buying and fitting a new brake load sensor etc. BUT, in october I did my back in and also the wife likes to come along too, but her mobility is limited so Im going to be looking at something bigger so that when we are both away we can take her mobility scooter and widen what we can do when we are away. Otherwise I would happily keep it :-(

Thanks Paul sorry didn't really mean to pry:oops: :$ ,I was just curious, I'm an open book to learning anything at the mo...................I think that's what's so lovely with these vans there is something out there for everyone that wants a camper from the little caddy type vans up to the monster motorhomes . All the luck with your new quest and my thoughts for your lady and you back me old mate!!. It's not easy trying to work out what one actually needs if one has little experience of van life . I sort of expect (please forgive if I'm wrong) your choices are sort of similar to mine in that budget is a big deal,and therefore choices are somewhat limited. I spent ages making my choice mate, I don't know yet whether it was right !! I haven't really started doing much to it bar make it as legal safe and sound as possible, oh and handle a bit better. Can't be doing with driving a boat,ugg.:LOL:

Oh........ Any T5/6 owners out there ............. buy a set of H and R anti roll bars, just trust me . and it will probably be the best money you spend. The difference in handling on my LWB was WOW

I'm spending hours and hours trying to figure that small space before I do anything,but I have the most base set up to allow a night away. I don't think I'm as sophisticated as the other lads here. :)

One option people may not have considered is to have a layout which includes two single beds, rather a "rock n' roll" double bed. The company that I bought mine from - Leisuredrive - has this option and there may be others.

Each front seat slides forward and the back reclines. There is a different layout on each side but the result is the same - two single beds. It is also possible to slide out a metal framework and add an extra mattress to make an (almost) full length double bed. The funny thing is, it is actually more comfortable than a flat mattress! It must be something about the slight angles created by the reclining front seat that fits me perfectly. I can get back pain on a flat mattress at home , even a thick one with a mattress topper, but I've hardly ever experienced it in the camper.

This layout is particularly useful if you're likely to be using the van mainly on your own. You can leave the passenger seat down and one single bed set up while you drive and there's no need to rearrage anything when its time to crash out. the kitchen area is at the back on the passenger side so none of the cupboards and units are obstructed when the double bed is down, as would be the case in the normal layout.

Just a thought......!

Jerry we looked hard at that design,:cool: simply too much dosh for us sadly . but yes It's a VERY very clever use of the space. I've spent a lot of time pondering. I think our beds might well be made by the same company RIB,I wish I could get the night's sleep you do !!!!! There are other convertors doing similar:)

It's madness time in my game (ha work ) . It's weather the storm stuff......... hang in there..... don't let a site agent kill ya....... I jest not!! So I'm not getting much time to do anything bar work and sleep, My priority now is simply getting a means to sleep well on that bed,if I survive this june I might have a bob to spend which will be nice.!!

cheers both

stu

Oh........ Any T5/6 owners out there ............. buy a set of H and R anti roll bars, just trust me . and it will probably be the best money you spend. The difference in handling on my LWB was WOW

They are on my list sir, but underneath some other goodies :rolleyes:

The improvement really really surprised me... I guess the other goodies might be B14 or air?? Both I've sort of lusted after. but I don't really want to loose ride height and air is so expensive.. I'd have bought 4 motion if funds allowed, as I'd really like as much off road capacity as possible. We shoot wildlife that's the reason. I posted about the ARB's because it's a relatively;) cheep upgrade(I also added some mele(sp?) heavy duty drop links). After actually experiencing the difference ,it seems a great bang for your buck and also not too off the wall .Simply a good place for another to start improving the ride. VW actually fit some upgraded shock I'm damned if I can remember the name in some other countries ,where the roads shall we say aren't so good. They might be me next move

It's quite funny Alan your post above had me smiling:cool: the bit about the tin box and the loo especially. I'm all most your direct opposite mate ... the thought of hotels is dread to me.

I'm confused by the fact it is common place now to go to the loo right in your bedroom,these new fangled modern houses I stick together have 'em,ensuite is it:LOL: Me being primitive:) I have to run nearly outside,the joys of an old farmer workers cottage and the placement of the outside privvy.

But mate I wouldn't want to go to the loo in the place I live in......... who would do that????? :p

Ahh Alan please forgive, there is no malace here your post just made me laugh . We our modern society, are so hung up about these silly things like his which have to happen!!

A porta potti in my van OMG...my completely honest thought at the start of all this !!! A little pop up tent is pretty useful.:) For a wildlife photographer that might also mean a portable hide,he she already has. We just tend to use public loos for a dump, but the bucket is cool for a lady who'ld like a wee in the middle of nowhere. Al, my sight isn't the best my ears neither ,I have a big nose it works I get knocked sideways by smell............the modern potable loos don't smell to my complete amazement.

Campers the new must have...have to work for each of us, they are a compromise We are all different bro (y)

stu

Re toilets in camper vans......most places I go to there's usually a large one just outside the back door.......:LOL: and I've got to know the public toilets of Wales quite well over the last twenty years. (Just don't....OK!) Seriously I just can't imagine having a dump in the van. Eugggghhhhh.....

I'm mentioning this as a tangent -

Has anyone bought the Britstops book, which lists all the places you can park up legally for free, eg pub car parks, ???

Yep I have this years Britstops book, pretty good it is too. Not actually used it though it's a back up for wildcamping for me. There's a facebook group setup specifically for britstoppers which gives reviews anonymously which is handy too.

Back