Campervan - The new "must have" piece of equipment ?

An old thread I know................... but it gave me lots of inspiration, in fact my own journey into owning a campervan to go off making wildlife images in was started on this forum some good time back by Jerry one of our members. I have no idea whatsoever now how long ago it was that base seed was sown, I just knew back then I needed a way to grab more sleep if I was going to travel to see species I can't access locally

Would anyone here be interested in a tale of making an interior that has gone on since before last christmas. ? It's shocking how long it's taken me Basically a shed load of woodwork...one guy trying to work through a T5 interior design. . Being a photography forum it's not terribly relevant so I i'm unsure as to whether you lot might be interested. and whether to share what i've been up to

I guess that will be an over to you then folks ;)

take care

stu

An old thread I know................... but it gave me lots of inspiration, in fact my own journey into owning a campervan to go off making wildlife images in was started on this forum some good time back by Jerry one of our members. I have no idea whatsoever now how long ago it was that base seed was sown, I just knew back then I needed a way to grab more sleep if I was going to travel to see species I can't access locally

Would anyone here be interested in a tale of making an interior that has gone on since before last christmas. ? It's shocking how long it's taken me Basically a shed load of woodwork...one guy trying to work through a T5 interior design. . Being a photography forum it's not terribly relevant so I i'm unsure as to whether you lot might be interested. and whether to share what i've been up to

I guess that will be an over to you then folks ;)

take care

stu

Definitely Stu, I've seen a few of your interior detail shots on Flickr and wondered if it was a personal or work project(s). Be interesting to hear about the journey you've been through in the build.. Something I've been thinking about for some time myself but I've never got further than that...

That said, it's probably just going to reignite the campervan lust! :facepalm:

We are pretty much newbies to camper van lifestyle, last September we hired out a Fiat Ducato for a week to get the feel of it and to see if we'd enjoy it?.....which we did!

Within the past three weeks we went ahead and bought a 2015 model Iveco Daly (high roof & LWB) van that's been converted into a camper, 56k miles with two owners, static bed/twin gas hob/running water/chemical toilet/lights/internal heater/awning/boot space...

We've been away twice in it so far wild camping along with our collie dogs, we're all really enjoying the experience, towards the end of August we're heading off for a weeks holiday to Gairloch, West coast of Scotland for four nights then onwards to Oban for three nights......we love the freedom.
We leave NO trace once we leave our stay and take all rubbish with us......unlike others that we see.

Here's a few recent images from our recent trips away;

Outdoor life by APM Photography, on Flickr

Van life by APM Photography, on Flickr

Wild camping by APM Photography, on Flickr

We still have a lot to learn as we're pretty new to this game......looking forward to our adventures/travels and meeting like minded folk along the way.

mac

Its a shame the government now plan to make it ILLEGAL to park and camp overnight in beauty spots and the like - I often come across Camoer Vans parked up on Nature reserves

Owners of motorhomes risk having their vehicles seized by police if they park anywhere without the landowner's permission under a new law going through Parliament.

Campaigners are warning that it could affect campervans, caravans and motorhomes.

Anyone who parks up without the landowner’s permission – in laybys, car parks or farmland – will run the risk of prosecution if the police receive a complaint, they say.

Overnight parking without consent is already illegal in Britain. However it is rarely enforced, providing motorists don’t cause a disturbance and clear up after themselves,

Unless they refuse to move on when asked, the worst they are guilty of is trespass, a civil offence which cannot result in arrest.

The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, which this week completed its Parliamentary committee stage, suggests new punishments for trespass.

These include powers to seize vehicles, fines of up to £2,500, and potential prison sentences for those who refuse to move on when asked by police.

One activist claimed the new legislation, if passed, will pose a serious threat to the UK’s 1.15m owners of leisure accommodation vehicles – and would curb the summer staycation boom.

Author Nick Rosen says the Bill will have the unintended consequence of compelling police officers to act if they receive a complaint – even if the caravan or campervan owner is not causing a nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overnight parking without consent is already illegal in Britain. However it is rarely enforced, providing motorists don’t cause a disturbance and clear up after themselves,

I can't really see that changing.

The Governments response. (Full response at the link above)

The conditions of the offence apply to those residing on land in or with a vehicle who cause significant damage, disruption, or distress and who do not leave when asked to do so. Those residing on land in a vehicle who do not cause significant harm will not be caught by the new offence. The high threshold to be caught by the offence helps ensure any enforcement action is proportionate.

While there is a lot of hysteria on the internet over the bill, here is a more level headed view

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeM4MVZQ93U

Last edited:
I imagine it's a natural progression, after the explosion in camper van use in the last two years. One camper van is usually fine. 10 of them squashed into a parking area that used to be used by walkers and climbers, not so much.

Guys I'm so so shattered please forgive me not talking yet on the above or me own stuff I've hard a hard HARD few days and it sort of ended ok ( wow that's new WTF?:LOL:). So this post isn't really about me it's about the kindness and genuine loveliness of others:cool:

My lady had a hos appointment today that might have been really horrible and scary ,all is well lads and I'm so relieved not much sleep last night. but all good (y)

Anyway, that hos visit put me in the general location of a company I've wanted to visit for a goodly while now. I'm a huge fan of Victron Energy products and want to incorperate them into our van build, i'll detail more later, But already have one of their solar charge MPPT controllers governing the 150 W solar panel on top of the van. it has this blue tooth stuff and just simply works.

So I turn up unannounced at a little canal marina the company is called " Onboard Energy" It's down this mad almost off grid track and one sort of ends in this lovely quiet place overlooking the marina it's gorgeous.. LMAO I'm preddy sure Shaz glimpsed a stoat, naturally the tog was AWOL............. we won't dwell huh?:runaway::exit:

so we turned up unannounced and a fella with another van got his booked in turn, I'd have fallen asleep bar bloody work ringing about another mess up. Then finally we got to meet a guy called Kev soz "Kevin"

He answered every Q looked around me bus said this might work ,nah don't do that bro it won't work because of XYZ, he spent maybe an hour and a half talking us through stuff and then said there ya go mate go have a think, he didn't even angle the sale, the purest form of customer service I've seen in years

I'm not a guy to waste another's time and really appreciate someone going out of their way to help another. I had gone their for specific products so then splashed out a bit with him, what really got me was he had another job to do after me and he repeatedly made his day later longer to help me. I can't really give higher praise guys bar one thing:

I expect to pay a bit more for stella customer service and quite frankly am happy to do so, I don't earn my dosh the easy way it's bloody hard won, but I'm cool wiith paying a bit more and knowing I've got a form of back up

As Kev toted up my bill it became very very clear I was getting serious genuine honest customer care and going to spend less than i thought I would, HUH?????

I really don't know how to praise anyone higher lads he spent around an hour and a half talking me through this that what ever and his prices were brilliant

It's not very oft in these days of scammers that one comes across folks like these........................ Ha one of the ladies walked up this steep hill to explain things to me as I'd sort of parked up miles from where I should have .
as always 5 cans short of a six pack
Forgive me not really replying to anything above on a thread I bumped It's shameful I know :( give me time I will try but for the mo

If you are interested in using Victron energy's products give "Onboard." a shout............................ I have spoken to them once before today I'm in no way affiliated ,I just love them for being genuine honest grafters whom simply couldn't do more to try and help a total stranger

God I love that in today's world it is so so cool

night all

stu

I'm concerned by the new bill have signed petition. I feel wanting to go somewhere and stop over cause I want to make an image of a species I can't find close to home seems such an innocent pastime, I don't feel morally I need more laws, but suspect I'll get them anyway:(

Si, I work in new build mass house building I am called a "mastic man" which frankly I loath as a job title I basically work with a silicone gun all day, nowt else. Let us say i'm not terribly enamoured with it all. I aspire to craftmanship, I was brought up in that sort of old skool way if a job is worth doing it's worth doing well, and one always tries one's best. You'll be aware I'm incredibly critical of my own work. image wise I'm like it with everything........... simply it's a life ethos try and learn sommit today and be better at it tomorrow even a silly simple thing like using a mastic gun or making a bit of wood smaller. That's how I see woodwork bro making bits of wood smaller:D

The art of it all is in making it smaller by just the right amount same as furpectly framing a subject I guess, or choosing just the right POV questing for just the right light There's a simplicity a disciplin behind all that stuff it's not about being the best............. just I gave something my all .

My base influence for our build furniture wise is a company called 3 bridge, and another convertor called cambee I wanted curves in the build, so have had to learn everything as I go. sure I have a set of hand skills and have played about with wood for ever but there is alot of new stuff here for me i've never been taught any woodwork really bar a bit in primary school

my base design started here that bit of ply on the floor the bit of card represents a combined night heater and hob. it's called a wallas XC duo

_S2I8211 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

this first cupboard also holds a fridge most of the cupboards are made of baltic birch 15mm ply and help together with strip joints and tightbond iii woodglue. It a means to an end really a way to pop stuff together and then take back apart.

We used somethiing called bendable ply for the curvy bits basically made a jig and clamped strapped two bits of ply together over the jig with a hell of alot of glue in the middle loads of glue:D like this

_S2I8197 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_S2I8195 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

which ends up here incredibly strong light and also no spring back, lmao I thought this was miraculous when we first did it it's stilla thing of wonder to me.

_S2I8199 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Our T5 has a 120cm RIB bed which means I have proper secure seat belts for rear passengers, that was and is the biggest facet surround our furniture design choices in such a tiny specs.

I have used those curvey bits to make one door that sort of opens on 3 hinges and allows the drivers seat to swivle around said door,bit of a mare to make a couple of bits went into that. Shaz found these little jars like kilner so we house 16 of those in here, so she can sit in drivers seat and have easy access to 'erm cooking stuff:LOL: also have the fridge right there a weaco CRX 65

Back in a mo

Last edited:
here's that first door in bits and complete with a jar

_S2I8222 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_S2I8216 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

The other door became a door drawer;) more cooking stuff in reach but for bigger things

_S2I8207 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

We decided on oak largely for the worktop and edging ,

_S2I8281 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

And here's that wallas gizno

_S2I8290 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_S2I8294 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

when the lid is up it acts as a hob...when down a little fan engages and it's now a night heater and it runs off the diesel fuel tank. pros..no naked flame lid down prying tiny hands don't get burnt cons not so quick to boil a kettle silly silly expensive.

Hmm anyone out there in camper land having probs actually getting gas right now?? We talked to a couple whom were touring EU years back they spent a whole day just trying to find gas, The wallas I tried to work around but couldn't find a way, so eventually just got me head down and grafted out the hours until it was ours

That's enough for tonight

take care

stu

@Stuart Philpott

Mate that's craftmanship right there. I wish I add an ounce of your talent Stu.

Superb work.

We have a Vauxhall Movano on a 2003 plate we bought from our local market doggie treat chap. Only cost a grand and my old dog Rosie loved it when we brought it home as it still smelled of all the yummy doggie treats :). She didn't want to come out of it.

Converted it over 3 months from January to March 2018. Worked on it every day in temps down to -10 with an electric heater in the van via an extension lead form the house.

I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done. It's her MOT next month and I'm hoping it'll pass without too much money needed as to say goodbye to her would kill me inside.

So much blood, sweat & tears in that van.

Here's a couple of images of her.

Nearside 1.jpg

Interior 3.jpg

Interior 1.jpg

Table.jpg

Attachments

• Nearside 1.jpg
    Nearside 1.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 1
@Stuart Philpott

Mate that's craftmanship right there. I wish I add an ounce of your talent Stu.

Superb work.

We have a Vauxhall Movano on a 2003 plate we bought from our local market doggie treat chap. Only cost a grand and my old dog Rosie loved it when we brought it home as it still smelled of all the yummy doggie treats :). She didn't want to come out of it.

Converted it over 3 months from January to March 2018. Worked on it every day in temps down to -10 with an electric heater in the van via an extension lead form the house.

I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done. It's her MOT next month and I'm hoping it'll pass without too much money needed as to say goodbye to her would kill me inside.

So much blood, sweat & tears in that van.

Here's a couple of images of her.

View attachment 326939

View attachment 326940

View attachment 326941

View attachment 326942
Looks great.....

Cheers Bob, those were the images I had to send to the DVLA for re-classification to a motor caravan.

Apparently the DVLA have tightened up their criteria and it's virtually impossible to re-classify them now.

Got lucky there.

Still runs great and has taken us to Cornwall 3 times, Lake District & Wales 4 times.

Love that van.

A whole lot of me in it.

240v hookup, 12v LED lights, Eberspacher diesel heater and a comfy bed.

What more do you need?

Terry ahh mate I love your build nowt wrong with that bro all credit. (y) I wish I could register ours as a camper sadly since the DVLA changed the spec i'm dead in the water which is a shame really, it passed my mind as I wrote about the incomming bill/ legislation etc. In some ways I wish I had a bigger van like yours for an interior design like yours but I wanted small and not too expensive to run I hope my bus will be my daily driver one day, she's amaziing on fuel for a 2.5L and pulls like a train. even though our hos day was a mare damn she's good to drive

Ha ha the dog treat story is wonderful I love that.

Hmm tell me about the frozen wastes and grafting out a van,damn I wish I was quicker, I mentioned above I started this cabinet malarky around chrimbo,thenn had to shield until march to protect my lady and that cold was ruddy brutal, I have no workshop it's all done on an old workmate in the garden. Shaz has a phone snap of me somewhere mask and goggles on routering and all around me is frozen stiff. I have some good clothes to keep warm, but it was a tough old gig. I remember her coming out to look at something she turned blue in mins and was ordered back in the warm. immediately. I went back to battering the bus and me almost every hour of daylight. Frankly I think we are bloody mad mate.:LOL: mind if ya want something you get you head down, hopefully one day I'll be able to look back on all this like you do. At the mo I'm just exhausted , i'm getting there though:)

I don't think of all this as talent really more pure unbridled stubbornness ;) Thanks for the kind words,I have done a bit of chippying over the years done the oak frame ya know " Tudor black and white" malarky man that is really really hard on the hands working with green oak and of course made loads of chuck and duck houses. Also laboured for a master chippy that I was told no one could get on with, we sat down for our first break and very quietly he told me i'd just done more in 2 hours than the previous guy in a day and said you want to learn don't you I said yes please he taught me how to knock up a trad roof bless him . But i've never done anything remotely like this camper building lark before. i'm incredibly driven it's for me lass as much as me, but damn i'm so slow. painstakingly slow. Even so the build won't be perfect I know that as you say a whole lot of me in it a bit wibbly wobbly a bit left field, I'm green with envy of you and Peter above right now the first evening of a 2 week brake and I'll be varnishing in a mo, no peace for the wicked

I actually renewed alot of power tools this year so I had a second option work wise, as I was worried on C19 and it#s effects on my job, which have come in really handy in this build, a little dewalt 18V trim router is all over this build it's a fabulous tool.

I'm just delving into leccy I want to go with Li Fe PO4 and it to really function off grid. So much to get one's head around solar is in place and functioning ha I want a bit of luxury Terry again my lass figures there

must dash thanks for the kind words buddy but again I repat yours is wonderful love the colours the pull out table especially , I have done something similar but my space being so much smaller made life slightly more complicated :banghead:

take care

Terry ahh mate I love your build nowt wrong with that bro all credit. (y) I wish I could register ours as a camper sadly since the DVLA changed the spec i'm dead in the water which is a shame really, it passed my mind as I wrote about the incomming bill/ legislation etc. In some ways I wish I had a bigger van like yours for an interior design like yours but I wanted small and not too expensive to run I hope my bus will be my daily driver one day, she's amaziing on fuel for a 2.5L and pulls like a train. even though our hos day was a mare damn she's good to drive

Ha ha the dog treat story is wonderful I love that.

Hmm tell me about the frozen wastes and grafting out a van,damn I wish I was quicker, I mentioned above I started this cabinet malarky around chrimbo,thenn had to shield until march to protect my lady and that cold was ruddy brutal, I have no workshop it's all done on an old workmate in the garden. Shaz has a phone snap of me somewhere mask and goggles on routering and all around me is frozen stiff. I have some good clothes to keep warm, but it was a tough old gig. I remember her coming out to look at something she turned blue in mins and was ordered back in the warm. immediately. I went back to battering the bus and me almost every hour of daylight. Frankly I think we are bloody mad mate.:LOL: mind if ya want something you get you head down, hopefully one day I'll be able to look back on all this like you do. At the mo I'm just exhausted , i'm getting there though:)

I don't think of all this as talent really more pure unbridled stubbornness ;) Thanks for the kind words,I have done a bit of chippying over the years done the oak frame ya know " Tudor black and white" malarky man that is really really hard on the hands working with green oak and of course made loads of chuck and duck houses. Also laboured for a master chippy that I was told no one could get on with, we sat down for our first break and very quietly he told me i'd just done more in 2 hours than the previous guy in a day and said you want to learn don't you I said yes please he taught me how to knock up a trad roof bless him . But i've never done anything remotely like this camper building lark before. i'm incredibly driven it's for me lass as much as me, but damn i'm so slow. painstakingly slow. Even so the build won't be perfect I know that as you say a whole lot of me in it a bit wibbly wobbly a bit left field, I'm green with envy of you and Peter above right now the first evening of a 2 week brake and I'll be varnishing in a mo, no peace for the wicked

I actually renewed alot of power tools this year so I had a second option work wise, as I was worried on C19 and it#s effects on my job, which have come in really handy in this build, a little dewalt 18V trim router is all over this build it's a fabulous tool.

I'm just delving into leccy I want to go with Li Fe PO4 and it to really function off grid. So much to get one's head around solar is in place and functioning ha I want a bit of luxury Terry again my lass figures there

must dash thanks for the kind words buddy but again I repat yours is wonderful love the colours the pull out table especially , I have done something similar but my space being so much smaller made life slightly more complicated :banghead:

take care
It seems that your talents extend well beyond photography!

Buddy i'm ashamed and embarassed is your name Rob , I know I know it I saw your reply last night thought by now my brain would engage but it hasn't :banghead: my humbles!! .

I do make things mate honestly I guess i've often had too because the money wasn't there to buy it my kitchen cupboards are made from rubbish wood thrown in a skip
Ha that ethos of someone else's rubbish being someone's treasure has just crept into my bus . I got a head's up on a bonfire after a furniture maker had a clear out got me grubby mits on bits of oak black walnut (OMG it's lovely to work with) and a bit of what I assume is Zebrano and other stuff..................

ahh mate I was like a kid in a sweet shop picking through that wood must of looked like right idiot if anyone was watching:LOL: Came home with the van stuffed massive smile Sure it's water damaged in places bit warped, so i've had to learn about making a router sled to turn it back to straight lumber.

It's not really talent bro although I do appreciate your kind words ( thank you) it's more being prepared to take the long road to get where I want and being stubborn enough to keep pushing and pushing until I get there. however tough it get's I keep pushing That's what get's me beside a hare 300yards out in a field with no cover mate what got me the stunning tools I use in my photography earnt on my knees paid at 50p a meter:)

I'll show you my first bit of walnut in the build soon hopefully it might make the above make more sense It might appear to look cool and be made by someone with" skills and talent" It's not that. It measures around 20cm by 30

I ground it out over 40plus hours a whole week of solid ,don't mess up stu don't mess this up. It's utter madness I made a mistake early in the build and this was my workaround:)

Sorry long winded AGAIN many thanks

The other door became a door drawer;) more cooking stuff in reach but for bigger things

when the lid is up it acts as a hob...when down a little fan engages and it's now a night heater and it runs off the diesel fuel tank. pros..no naked flame lid down prying tiny hands don't get burnt cons not so quick to boil a kettle silly silly expensive.

Hmm anyone out there in camper land having probs actually getting gas right now?? We talked to a couple whom were touring EU years back they spent a whole day just trying to find gas, The wallas I tried to work around but couldn't find a way, so eventually just got me head down and grafted out the hours until it was ours

take care

stu

Fantastic craftsmanship Stu, far far above anything I could even attempt let alone achieve. I think it's fair to say (and a massive understatement) that you're wasted in the day job :D

cheers Si ya good bro :) Ha the day job, :banghead: It's horrible really buddy but It keeps me very fit and I try to apply that same do it the best I can ethos,after all there is a moral obligation for me it's the most expensive thing any of us buy. it's somebody's house bro.................. So my attitude means folks want me to graft for them and that means I now use a lovely camera beyond my wildest dreams and also have this little old van again silly dream stuff to me . I can't really knock it mate . well i can but i wont :LOL:

take care

stu
Stu you should put all the photos in a group on Flickr or even as a thread on here. There’s a photographic element to this documenting a project. it’s no different to other photographic projects put up on TP. There is a real craft to what you’re doing. It’s hand built cabinets rather than sticking in a few IKEA cupboards and a worktop.

Cheers Stu.

Got the old girl 2 miles away at the moment in a friend's field.

It's her son's wedding day and it's just the ticket for an overnighter.

Must dash, dog to walk and back to the wedding gig so I can have a beer or 3.

Laters dude.

I'm concerned by the new bill have signed petition. I feel wanting to go somewhere and stop over cause I want to make an image of a species I can't find close to home seems such an innocent pastime, I don't feel morally I need more laws, but suspect I'll get them anyway:(
You're worrying about nothing

It's pretty clear who they're aiming the new law at and it's not someone wild camping alone in a forest

In the past it's taken days to get a court to allow the police to move on itinerant groups who descend on a town , break into private land and camp illegally , when this law is passed all it'll take is one complaint from the landowner and the police will be able to act.

It's something that needs to happen , I've got a motorhome, I won't be signing it.

Might as well put this in here where it'll get the most views

In May 2023 they're proposing to make the whole of Greater Manchester ( excluding motorways and major trunk roads) into a low emission zone for commercial vehicles

UK_Greater_Manchester_clean_air_zone_map.jpg

£10 a day for vans that aren't euro 6 compliant

Only when you delve in deeper it's not just vans

Screenshot 2021-08-14 at 18-52-43 Clean air plans Clean Air Greater Manchester.png

So if you drive a non compliant 4.2 L diesel range rover towing a caravan you pay nothing , if however you drive a motorhome and stay for one night you'll pay £10 to drive in and £10 to drive out the next day.

You're worrying about nothing

It's pretty clear who they're aiming the new law at and it's not someone wild camping alone in a forest

In the past it's taken days to get a court to allow the police to move on itinerant groups who descend on a town , break into private land and camp illegally , when this law is passed all it'll take is one complaint from the landowner and the police will be able to act.

It's something that needs to happen , I've got a motorhome, I won't be signing it.

I agree, with possibly one priviso.

For years the odd car/campervan stopping overnight in a layby or otherwise pulled off the road has been accepted and IMO quite rightly so.

Then most, if not all, of people doing this had some personal interest in the area they were visiting - walking, climbing, kayaking etc and pretty much they didn't cause any problems.

Now with the restrictions around COVID19 many, many more people are staying in the UK for their holiday and using campervans/motohomes. In a number of areas - NW Scotland, Lake District, the South West there have been problems. These are caused by the sheer volume of people and unfortunately some don't give a sh*t for the area they are visiting. I have seen photos of rubbish left by the road side, discarded barbeques and toilet waste left on beaches.

I hope it doesn't happen but I can see the possibility some land owners, both private individuals, businesses and local authorities, might try to use the measures in the bill, if they become law, to prevent overnight stops.

I hope it doesn't happen and I think the chances are small but the appalling behaviour of some could easily change opinions.

This is not helped by some Scottish motorhome hire companies telling renters because of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code they can 'wild camp' anywhere in Scotland. The SOAC rights do extend to wild camping but the access rights do not apply to motorised vehicles. Whatever someone is doing when they pull up by roadside in their car/campervan etc and stay overnight, it is not wild camping.

Dave

I agree, with possibly one priviso.

For years the odd car/campervan stopping overnight in a layby or otherwise pulled off the road has been accepted and IMO quite rightly so.

Then most, if not all, of people doing this had some personal interest in the area they were visiting - walking, climbing, kayaking etc and pretty much they didn't cause any problems.

Now with the restrictions around COVID19 many, many more people are staying in the UK for their holiday and using campervans/motohomes. In a number of areas - NW Scotland, Lake District, the South West there have been problems. These are caused by the sheer volume of people and unfortunately some don't give a sh*t for the area they are visiting. I have seen photos of rubbish left by the road side, discarded barbeques and toilet waste left on beaches.

I hope it doesn't happen but I can see the possibility some land owners, both private individuals, businesses and local authorities, might try to use the measures in the bill, if they become law, to prevent overnight stops.

I hope it doesn't happen and I think the chances are small but the appalling behaviour of some could easily change opinions.

This is not helped by some Scottish motorhome hire companies telling renters because of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code they can 'wild camp' anywhere in Scotland. The SOAC rights do extend to wild camping but the access rights do not apply to motorised vehicles. Whatever someone is doing when they pull up by roadside in their car/campervan etc and stay overnight, it is not wild camping.

Dave
It's still unlikely to affect the single van because the police don't attend for theft of a 40k motorhome so there's absolutely no chance of a response to someone camping in a field

You're more likely to find yourself picked up by a massive forklift if you're blocking an entrance that having a copper at your door at 3am

This is solely to deal with the itinerant community who just do whatever they like and get away with it , hopefully they'll move on to the Schengen zone if things become difficult here.

Stu you should put all the photos in a group on Flickr or even as a thread on here. There’s a photographic element to this documenting a project. it’s no different to other photographic projects put up on TP. There is a real craft to what you’re doing. It’s hand built cabinets rather than sticking in a few IKEA cupboards and a worktop.

Rob I don't really understand how to post to a group on flickr,I'm so brain dead with PC's post the whole shebang really as you know............so much fly's over my head in this digital domain. I opened this thread back almost asking if it was ok to post here. Sure I wanted to share what I was doing and but also possibly tap in to the sheer intelligence of you guys. Lol I'm awake at some stupid hour in the night because my brain is rattling away trying to figure off grid electricity lithium batteries cable sizing which I will need to address fairly soon.

It's funny coming back to the photography "element" yes I suppose it is there, as always maybe I don't see the wood for the trees. :) In many ways it's been lovely for me almost refreshing just posting SOOC jpegs of my efforts, no fighting with post just as honest a representation of all this wood work as I can Not trying to create sommit ie the iimage it's'self. It feels so far removed....the image making aspect ..............from the process I go through to try and present my wildlife frames . Mate I love how much folks here have taught me about post processing the sheer kindness and time ,it bewilders me, I understand the power of post in the genre of photography I want to be good at and the need for it but damn it's a fight:banghead:

I've been so time pressed trying to make this happen I barely post my wildlife images now ( barley go out TBH ) and barely venture from the nature sections anyway So being frank I'd be unsure where to start a thread elsewhere here. and as above don't really see it as a photography "project" more a means to an end,

Cheers on the craft Rob:)

Darren it's closing on 4 am I have no idea if I quoted your post i've done something weird that's for sure:D Simply I hope you are right and i'm worrying on nowt.:) Your second post about Manchester doesn't really inspire me with confidence as so often legislation doesn't seem to hit the mark for me. IE all too often decent folks get to jump through more hoops while the said "itinerants" simply carry on. I don't disagree with your post mate folks trashing littering our countryside is utterly wrong and there is a need to address this matter from a civil offence, So landowners farmers are not left picking up the tab,, but as you say if the old bill are so stretched they can't attend a 40K theft then what 's the point. No a petition ain't going to help I singed it sure but it won#t help

Slightly left field but very relevant to laws campers and my personal worrying:D I can no longer register my campervan with the DVLA as a Motor Caravan my build won't cut the mustard as it were

A VW transporter in the guise of a T2 is pretty much where all this started and yet now we have a new fangled set of rules for that too....... WHY??.......I just don't get all this mate

We legislate for morons they keep doing their thing and the decent get clobbered it is how it is.

But yes good sir I hope your are right and I'm wrong (y)

night both ha ha sleep well:banghead:

stu

I imagine it's a natural progression, after the explosion in camper van use in the last two years. One camper van is usually fine. 10 of them squashed into a parking area that used to be used by walkers and climbers, not so much.
I was at a local RSPB reserve only last week and despite a sign stating "No overnight camping" I was greeted with 6 camper vans and one caravan in the car park, this has to stop surely???

Les :)

Ps Im am not anti camper van, I had a split screen VW van a few years back -

Rob I don't really understand how to post to a group on flickr,I'm so brain dead with PC's post the whole shebang really as you know............so much fly's over my head in this digital domain. I opened this thread back almost asking if it was ok to post here. Sure I wanted to share what I was doing and but also possibly tap in to the sheer intelligence of you guys. Lol I'm awake at some stupid hour in the night because my brain is rattling away trying to figure off grid electricity lithium batteries cable sizing which I will need to address fairly soon.

It's funny coming back to the photography "element" yes I suppose it is there, as always maybe I don't see the wood for the trees. :) In many ways it's been lovely for me almost refreshing just posting SOOC jpegs of my efforts, no fighting with post just as honest a representation of all this wood work as I can Not trying to create sommit ie the iimage it's'self. It feels so far removed....the image making aspect ..............from the process I go through to try and present my wildlife frames . Mate I love how much folks here have taught me about post processing the sheer kindness and time ,it bewilders me, I understand the power of post in the genre of photography I want to be good at and the need for it but damn it's a fight:banghead:

I've been so time pressed trying to make this happen I barely post my wildlife images now ( barley go out TBH ) and barely venture from the nature sections anyway So being frank I'd be unsure where to start a thread elsewhere here. and as above don't really see it as a photography "project" more a means to an end,

Cheers on the craft Rob:)

Darren it's closing on 4 am I have no idea if I quoted your post i've done something weird that's for sure:D Simply I hope you are right and i'm worrying on nowt.:) Your second post about Manchester doesn't really inspire me with confidence as so often legislation doesn't seem to hit the mark for me. IE all too often decent folks get to jump through more hoops while the said "itinerants" simply carry on. I don't disagree with your post mate folks trashing littering our countryside is utterly wrong and there is a need to address this matter from a civil offence, So landowners farmers are not left picking up the tab,, but as you say if the old bill are so stretched they can't attend a 40K theft then what 's the point. No a petition ain't going to help I singed it sure but it won#t help

Slightly left field but very relevant to laws campers and my personal worrying:D I can no longer register my campervan with the DVLA as a Motor Caravan my build won't cut the mustard as it were

A VW transporter in the guise of a T2 is pretty much where all this started and yet now we have a new fangled set of rules for that too....... WHY??.......I just don't get all this mate

We legislate for morons they keep doing their thing and the decent get clobbered it is how it is.

But yes good sir I hope your are right and I'm wrong (y)

night both ha ha sleep well:banghead:

stu
Sorry wrong terminology, I should have said your own album/collection so all of the build photos are kept in one location. It would be great to see the progression of the build over time.

It's still unlikely to affect the single van because the police don't attend for theft of a 40k motorhome so there's absolutely no chance of a response to someone camping in a field

You're more likely to find yourself picked up by a massive forklift if you're blocking an entrance that having a copper at your door at 3am

This is solely to deal with the itinerant community who just do whatever they like and get away with it , hopefully they'll move on to the Schengen zone if things become difficult here.

In general I agree the groups the measures are intent to affect and having seen the mess left behind sometimes by the travelling community, its about time.

No problem with someone camping in a field, as long as they have the owners permission. Just opening a gate and driving in to camp is not on.

Dave

stu
From what I can see all this 'get so many signatures and we'll debate it in parliament' is just to appease people, ,like they're saying, Ok we'll debate it but we're still doing it.

I only camp on official sites because the thought of upsetting the locals is enough to put me off , motorhomes are unwelcome as it is, on a recent trip to the cotswolds , two days I couldn't find anywhere to park to have a look round, went to Stratford On Avon, nowhere, saw a park & ride so drove in, max weight 3.5T perfect, next sign, No motorhomes

It's like they don't want your money , compare that to France where they actually encourage overnight parking with very cheap or free Aire's where you buy a coin for the meter which gives you access to fresh water and grey waste disposal, they know you're likely to spend money in the town which is why they encourage you

I was at a local RSPB reserve only last week and despite a sign stating "No overnight camping" I was greeted with 6 camper vans and one caravan in the car park, this has to stop surely???

Why?

Darren essentially similar thoughts about petitions here i've no great faith in any of this really . As a wanna be wildlife image maker I want to be close to species at dawn and dusk, that's my fundamental reason for my bus I run myself ragged as it is the camper seemed a really good fit for my need to grab enough sleep especially in the summer months. My issue is using a campsite is also tricky as I can't be leaving at 3am and disturbing the other folks on said site it would feel wrong to me. I sort of feel between a rock and a hard place right now in blighty, C19 and the consequences of folks not going abroad means we in the midst of a camper crazy boom and as David ( tringa) so eloquently pointed out they don't necessarily treat the countryside with the care and love it deserves

I don't want to upset anyone either buddy it's not my way Ruddy eck you don't spend 10years of your life struggling to pay our bills as a careworker if you don't give a damn about others I left the trade when my cared for mate passed hard stuff bro really hard. I'm finding all this very hard right now mate i'm trying to make this little dream for me and my lass especially her yet I don't want to hurt anyone or upset anyone but my options seem to becoming more and more limited Frankly I probably signed said petition in a FFS moment more than with a degree of rationality

Hmm your time in the wolds you are talking about my home ok I don't live in the wolds ,I'm down in the Vale but this is my stopping ground has been for 30years ........ most of my images are made in the wolds. I'm a bit of a hermit really Darren avoid places like Stratford like the plague is there !! Apart from you orrible lot my only real contact with society is a bunch of builders and even then I graft on my own as my trade is so specialized there is rairly more than one of me on a site. Shame mate could possibly have given you a bit of local knowledge which might of made your time in these parts more fun. Priavtely of course mind you won't get no beasties site info from me,lmao I'm desparrately secretive on that stuff

Folks taking a holiday in a van are oft touted as "not contibuting" to the local economy they are holidaying in, I've always thought we do though, mind one can't if all your options are being blocked. shame your stay around here wasn't more fun mate bit gutted for you there. It's a fabulous part of the world mind I do stay clear of all the tourists as best I can

right bacon butty stuffed world righted back to hammering away at camper building :D

Les :)

Ps Im am not anti camper van, I had a split screen VW van a few years back -

Oh Les

tell me more why a few vans at an RSPB reserve upsets ya please. Not grinding axes mate I am very curious I've been locked into one by the warden on one rare early exploit into camperland it was wonderful, We had chatted a while I felt like I was the custodian of the place for that night it was lovely. I am an RSPB member by the way but I best not say where that was .

We have a local reserve that spent a fortune building the most stunning bird hide it has been trashed by morons more than once having the odd member about at night camping on site is something i've always thought might be a good thing.

Hope the arm is less of a pain now kiddo should I call ya Frank now mate?:runaway:

seeya:)

Last edited:
I think the 'bill' is aimed more at the people commonly known as travellers/gypsies from what I gather, people without a 'home address' But then I've not really read into it as I'm not a van owner - although I have been seriously considering it.

Anyway, we've just spent a week in Bridport and obviously the local area. Aside from any no Campervan issues, I also found many beach car parks that were only 9am - 8pm opening times with no overnight parking or camping/sleeping. One threatened clamping (£150 fee) for overnight parking, had a gate, but had no times on display..... We wanted to do night sky stuff one night as there was a rare clear break in the skies so parking from say 10pm - 1am..... Would you risk it? Technically I'd say that wasn't overnight parking. But who would you be arguing against? And, I didn't take my battery angle grinder with me ;) :p We ended up at a NT car park which operates from 8am - 9:30pm but was open with a few other cars /vans in there.

I would say it's fairly difficult to find a good place in that area which isn't just a standard layby on a main road.

Darren essentially similar thoughts about petitions here i've no great faith in any of this really . As a wanna be wildlife image maker I want to be close to species at dawn and dusk, that's my fundamental reason for my bus I run myself ragged as it is the camper seemed a really good fit for my need to grab enough sleep especially in the summer months. My issue is using a campsite is also tricky as I can't be leaving at 3am and disturbing the other folks on said site it would feel wrong to me. I sort of feel between a rock and a hard place right now in blighty, C19 and the consequences of folks not going abroad means we in the midst of a camper crazy boom and as David ( tringa) so eloquently pointed out they don't necessarily treat the countryside with the care and love it deserves

I don't want to upset anyone either buddy it's not my way Ruddy eck you don't spend 10years of your life struggling to pay our bills as a careworker if you don't give a damn about others I left the trade when my cared for mate passed hard stuff bro really hard. I'm finding all this very hard right now mate i'm trying to make this little dream for me and my lass especially her yet I don't want to hurt anyone or upset anyone but my options seem to becoming more and more limited Frankly I probably signed said petition in a FFS moment more than with a degree of rationality

Hmm your time in the wolds you are talking about my home ok I don't live in the wolds ,I'm down in the Vale but this is my stopping ground has been for 30years ........ most of my images are made in the wolds. I'm a bit of a hermit really Darren avoid places like Stratford like the plague is there !! Apart from you orrible lot my only real contact with society is a bunch of builders and even then I graft on my own as my trade is so specialized there is rairly more than one of me on a site. Shame mate could possibly have given you a bit of local knowledge which might of made your time in these parts more fun. Priavtely of course mind you won't get no beasties site info from me,lmao I'm desparrately secretive on that stuff

Folks taking a holiday in a van are oft touted as "not contibuting" to the local economy they are holidaying in, I've always thought we do though, mind one can't if all your options are being blocked. shame your stay around here wasn't more fun mate bit gutted for you there. It's a fabulous part of the world mind I do stay clear of all the tourists as best I can

right bacon butty stuffed world righted back to hammering away at camper building :D
I enjoyed it, the campsite had a bus stop outside so we got about on that a couple of days , the other days we got up earlier

This is a very unusual 2 years , the population of Europe hasn't had their movement controlled this much since WW2 , once things go back to normal and flights resume it'll quieten down I'm sure.

25th of this month I'm getting a towbar fitted to the MH so this will be my transport for local travel , The motorhome is safer left on site anyway
Screenshot_20210815-190108_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Darren I strongly suspect you inhabit a completely different world to me :D

Ha well that's me done for the day only 830 pm and i've walked in the house for the rain to start thank god it wasn't earlier . Kitchen table back to glue mode 2nd cupboard routering finished all bits sanded had final ready for unpteen coats of varnish.
speaking of our middle cupboard...................

At the top we have a drawer which looks like this, you have no idea how hard it was to nail that front cut from one bit of ply !!

_S2I9352 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

my drawer front also does this good init :LOL: The concealed hinges are based on a soss hinge devils own job letting them in not much room for error setting those buggers in

_S2I9355 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

the reason for that is I've stashed a little pull out work top in there

_S2I9354 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

which pulls out like this

_S2I9358 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

and then does this

_S2I9361 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

I've no idea how long all that took to be honest or where the idea came from, what's important is it works. It's such a tiny tiny space so I'm been musing all this for a goodly while now. Obviously everything is still in a raw sanded state at this point. No raising of the grain no filling just no varnish.

Way back in jan a router bit dropped for the second time,I know it was tightened ,but hey my old router was maybe 30 years old. shaz watched this one happen and ordered me to buy some new tools:)

anyway here's the damage

_S2I0231 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

I've sat on this one for months there is so much work in each of these pieces you can't see all the routering on the back which hold a variety of shelves let alone all the scribing to make everything fit well. That bonfire raid and the walnut set the ideas flowing. Honestly what I really wanted to do was carve a hare between me and Shaz I think it might have been possible, but with the cock up so damn close to the edge I went a different way. This was protracted I've mentioned it earlier to Brentor first I had to flatten out the walnut I wanted to use so had to learn that trick after all is was wood to be burnt, this involved making a router sled which sits on a couple of bearers

Once flat, we marked out the VW logo popped a boarder around it and I set about it with the jigsaw always in my head don't mess up don't mess up, hmm at the time I tthough this was the hard bit:LOL:

_S2I0221 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Got that sorted..........the walnut is around 21mm thick my thinking was at the bottom of each of the W is an insane weak point to wanted to keep this pretty chunky and then I'd let this deep into the ply ,so around 11 mm was proud. Here's the walnut ready to be let in and hiding my earlier cock up

_S2I0228 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

The next bit was tough tough going it is incredibly easy to let a router kick and frankly if that happened I'd be back to square one damn this was grueling really intense concentration for hours and hours I went off to work and it sat in the greenhouse when I came back it no longer fitted .Basically it shrunk due to moisture loss was my hunch ,so I soaked it got it back right flooded the cut out in the ply with glued and stuffed a load of brick on top while the glue cured

it came out like this

_S2I0235 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

I then filled as many gaps as I could access, once the filler was dry came the painstakiing process of removing the excess, which was extremely tough as I couldn't access much of the filler with a sander or even sand paper. So I used a tiny 5mm or so flat head screwdriver to get the filler where it should be

So this is sort of the final result I've just nailed the first coat of varnish , which as you can see is still wet

_S2I0254 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

A week plus of graft for a bit of walnut 20cm by 30 cm.......... utter madness....... but it's done

Here's the whole piece first coat of varnish still wet as above

_S2I0253 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Sorted ! ! !

Darren I strongly suspect you inhabit a completely different world to me :D
I'm not so sure about that :D , the smart was the bargain of the decade, saw it advertised with the A frame fitted , 43,000 miles , MOT'd for £600

It's £1000 just to get the A frame fitted, I've had it 6 months and wish I'd bought one 10 years ago , uses very little fuel, £30 road tax and you can literally park it anywhere.

Buddy i'm ashamed and embarassed is your name Rob , I know I know it I saw your reply last night thought by now my brain would engage but it hasn't :banghead: my humbles!! .

I do make things mate honestly I guess i've often had too because the money wasn't there to buy it my kitchen cupboards are made from rubbish wood thrown in a skip
Ha that ethos of someone else's rubbish being someone's treasure has just crept into my bus . I got a head's up on a bonfire after a furniture maker had a clear out got me grubby mits on bits of oak black walnut (OMG it's lovely to work with) and a bit of what I assume is Zebrano and other stuff..................

ahh mate I was like a kid in a sweet shop picking through that wood must of looked like right idiot if anyone was watching:LOL: Came home with the van stuffed massive smile Sure it's water damaged in places bit warped, so i've had to learn about making a router sled to turn it back to straight lumber.

It's not really talent bro although I do appreciate your kind words ( thank you) it's more being prepared to take the long road to get where I want and being stubborn enough to keep pushing and pushing until I get there. however tough it get's I keep pushing That's what get's me beside a hare 300yards out in a field with no cover mate what got me the stunning tools I use in my photography earnt on my knees paid at 50p a meter:)

I'll show you my first bit of walnut in the build soon hopefully it might make the above make more sense It might appear to look cool and be made by someone with" skills and talent" It's not that. It measures around 20cm by 30

I ground it out over 40plus hours a whole week of solid ,don't mess up stu don't mess this up. It's utter madness I made a mistake early in the build and this was my workaround:)

Sorry long winded AGAIN many thanks
Thanks for the detailed response. nb I am Steve.

I wish I had your talents, please do not underestimate your considerable skills.

Cheers muchly Steve my apologies on your name mate, I'm so oft a wreck by the time I get here it bug 's me not remembering it really does :( . The above logo was really hard Steve it's that uttter focus for such a long long period of time I'm chuffed though another step closer(y)

I think the 'bill' is aimed more at the people commonly known as travellers/gypsies from what I gather, people without a 'home address' But then I've not really read into it as I'm not a van owner - although I have been seriously considering it.

Anyway, we've just spent a week in Bridport and obviously the local area. Aside from any no Campervan issues, I also found many beach car parks that were only 9am - 8pm opening times with no overnight parking or camping/sleeping. One threatened clamping (£150 fee) for overnight parking, had a gate, but had no times on display..... We wanted to do night sky stuff one night as there was a rare clear break in the skies so parking from say 10pm - 1am..... Would you risk it? Technically I'd say that wasn't overnight parking. But who would you be arguing against? And, I didn't take my battery angle grinder with me ;) :p We ended up at a NT car park which operates from 8am - 9:30pm but was open with a few other cars /vans in there.

I would say it's fairly difficult to find a good place in that area which isn't just a standard layby on a main road.

Yup.

I think, having read your post, it isn't about you and your van, it is about the other 10 or so (on average) that do not care.

They do not want to do night sky stuff, they just want to save £10 a night. Whatever the actual cost to the community they are abusing, or the people like you that are there for a reason, they want to save money whilst renting a motorhome at £xx a night...

Last edited:
Back