Can anyone explain the Irish border issue to me?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm posting this in Out Of Focus, not Hot Topics, because it's not a debate thing. There's some factual information which I think I'm missing and I hope somebody may be able to explain it to me.

Over the last year or so I've been bemused at the way the Irish border question has come to dominate the Brexit negotiations. It seems to be a rather small tail wagging a very large dog. But I'm English, not Irish, so it occurs to me that perhaps I just don't understand the issues. Maybe I need an Irish person to help me.

So, can anyone explain - factually! - why it's so utterly essential to maintain a totally open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland? Most times I hear people say blah blah blah Good Friday Agreement, but to my mind that just begs the question: why is the GFA immune to amendment? I mean, sure it's an important agreement, but nuclear weapons treaties are also important and they can be and have been amended or set aside. The GFA seems to have this untouchable status and I don't understand why that is.

I'm posting this in Out Of Focus, not Hot Topics, because it's not a debate thing. There's some factual information which I think I'm missing and I hope somebody may be able to explain it to me.

Over the last year or so I've been bemused at the way the Irish border question has come to dominate the Brexit negotiations. It seems to be a rather small tail wagging a very large dog. But I'm English, not Irish, so it occurs to me that perhaps I just don't understand the issues. Maybe I need an Irish person to help me.

So, can anyone explain - factually! - why it's so utterly essential to maintain a totally open border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland? Most times I hear people say blah blah blah Good Friday Agreement, but to my mind that just begs the question: why is the GFA immune to amendment? I mean, sure it's an important agreement, but nuclear weapons treaties are also important and they can be and have been amended or set aside. The GFA seems to have this untouchable status and I don't understand why that is.
The GFA had to recognise the wishes of the people of Northern Ireland. A majority wanting to be part of the UK, as well as significant number of people who want to be part of a united Ireland.
So part of the agreement is that Northern Ireland has to keep strong links to the Republic of Ireland

Putting a border in between would be a disaster, both for those wanting a united Ireland, as well as for those on the UK side needing to have something of value to offer their counterparts in the agreement.

The GFA is fragile and only works if there is this balance of concessions from both sides. It is easy to forget how dangerous it was it was back when it was created. It has done a good job in stabilising Northern Ireland for so many years since then. Allowing the new generations to break from perpetuating the grief of the troubles.

Last edited:
why is the GFA immune to amendment?
Because it took decades of what was essentially a small scale war before the current agreement could be reached and even now it's teetering on the brink with the Northern Ireland Assembly not having sat for nearly 2 years.

This seems to be the fundamental flaw with a lot of the thinking on Brexit in general. Rational, centrist people tend to think everyone else is rational and centrist and will negotiate for the best outcome for all in good faith. However there are a lot of parties involved who are negotiating from dogmatic political positions. Consider the DUP, they keep harping on that N.I. cannot have different rules to the rest of the UK when it comes to Brexit but take for example abortion laws, they are different in N.I. than the rest of the UK, so N.I. already has different rules in many areas.

The GFA is fragile and only works if there is this balance of concessions from both sides. It is easy to forget how dangerous it was it was back when it was created. It has done a good job in stabilising Northern Ireland for so many years since then. Allowing the new generations to break from perpetuating the grief of the troubles.
OK, that makes sense.

So are we saying that the reinstatement of a border in Ireland would restart the violence? (Or, at least, that that is a realistic fear?) That would be a rather depressing conclusion.

OK, that makes sense.

So are we saying that the reinstatement of a border in Ireland would restart the violence? (Or, at least, that that is a realistic fear?) That would be a rather depressing conclusion.
It would mean a lot of nervous or unhappy people. So a threat of instability. Whatever that means at this stage of the healing process. And all that for no good reason.

I guess the opposing question is why so many are so keen to disregard it?
I don't think anybody is keen to disregard it, and that was my puzzle. Right from the start both the UK and the EU negotiators seem to have taken it for granted that the Irish border must be open and the GFA is not amenable to amendment. I was just wondering whythat was.

Some facts to bear in mind.

1: There are those who would be happy to return to violence and would exploit any change to the border:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82edi9VJrn8

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44082633

2: The GFA (which is actually two separate agreements the M-PA and B-IA - the B-IA being an international agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland). As has already been said, the GFA is deliberately vague in certain areas (constructive ambiguity) so that both sides could accept and agree to things that they would otherwise find unpalatable. By it's very nature the GFA is fragile.

3: The GFA makes reference to Ireland and the UK as being 'Partners in Europe'

4: The only party who opposed the GFA was the DUP.

So you have a peace treaty (amongst other things - the GFA is more than that) that exists on a knife edge, which could well be negatively impacted by Brexit, there are those who would be happy to exploit any perceived violation of the GFA and the majority party in NI who are far from impartial in this matter.

It really is a matter of grave concern.

Last edited:
It is really all about keeping the North and South in balance and maintaining harmony.
Which is odd as it was essentially negotiated by terrorists who basically cant even sit in a room together now in the NI Assembly.

Is all a bit nuts realy.

I don't think anybody is keen to disregard it, and that was my puzzle. Right from the start both the UK and the EU negotiators seem to have taken it for granted that the Irish border must be open and the GFA is not amenable to amendment. I was just wondering whythat was.

Johnson et al were very keen. It was mentioned as unimportant and dismissed in the leave prospectus.

Its far from easy to amend. Its part of the UK and Irish constitution and also enshrines the right of anyone born in Northern Ireland access to, and the right to seek redress from the ECHR. As well as everything else mentioned above.

Of course if we'd not made the effort to f*** the country by leaving the single market and customs union *even vote leave said this was a stupid idea, then its a non issue.

Sorry to the moderators for bringing this up, but its impossible to talk about one part of this without bringing other things in

Last edited:
Having lived in London during the most recent troubles in NI,the 70's & 80's, suffering bombings and a terror campaign that makes today's violence from extremists look mild by comparison I can easily understand why peace must be maintained in Ireland (N & S). So it's central to the Brexit negotiations and nothing should be done to wreck that fragile peace. Some of the individuals have since died that were central to the violence (McGuiness & Paisley) but I should imagine there are people willing to step into those shoes should the need arise, sadly.

Some of the individuals have since died that were central to the violence (McGuiness & Paisley) but I should imagine there are people willing to step into those shoes should the need arise, sadly.
Over time there will be fewer and fewer people with grief and hate. The younger generations will bring fresh hope. You'll never get rid of extremists. But they are everywhere, these days, trying to wreck everything they don't understand.

Over time there will be fewer and fewer people with grief and hate.
Whilst I hope you are correct some people seem to be inherently tribal, (football hooligans, right wing extremists, religious factions) and some of those will always resort to violence as a way of projecting their indefensible views on to others. I believe it’s that combined with a failure of government to recognise and support the needs of “indigenous tribes” (i.e. white British poor) that lead to Brexit in the first place. So sadly I don’t agree that in a few generations the N.I. problem will have gone away. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

Whilst I hope you are correct some people seem to be inherently tribal, (football hooligans, right wing extremists, religious factions) and some of those will always resort to violence as a way of projecting their indefensible views on to others. I believe it’s that combined with a failure of government to recognise and support the needs of “indigenous tribes” (i.e. white British poor) that lead to Brexit in the first place. So sadly I don’t agree that in a few generations the N.I. problem will have gone away. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences
During the troubles in Northern Ireland, many people had lost a loved one or was close to someone who had. Many people had feared, and hated, or seen the hatred close up. And many were drawn along by leaders stirring up passions. Being told they have to defend themselves, even though they didn't have a violent nature. Most were just ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. And who would never want things to go back to that.

OK, that makes sense.

There was an interview (linked here) from Chief Constable of Police Service of Northern Ireland, that didn't sound very optimistic.

There are two chapters in Ireland and one I think has been put to bed and that is the IRA and its fight with the UK government, large scale surrendering of weapons etc.

The second part is the sectarian violence Catholics vs protestants which is still bubbling under and wouldn't take much to reignite, wether the wall going up would tip that I don't know.

I don't want a wall as it will simply end up being a massive problem to maintain and it will cause friction.
What worries me more is the EU immigrants could end up using Southern Ireland as an entry point within the EU borders and then sneak over to NI and attempt to get over the sea into England etc.
Are we then going to end up with a migrant camp in NI and then the locals will have a lot to say about that and violence could errupt.

Let's try and keep it factual, eh? Otherwise the Mods will shut it down.
It'll only get shut down if the personal insults start to fly, That's the reason the others got closed...

Sorry to the moderators for bringing this up, but its impossible to talk about one part of this without bringing other things in
See above :)

Over time there will be fewer and fewer people with grief and hate. The younger generations will bring fresh hope. You'll never get rid of extremists. But they are everywhere, these days, trying to wreck everything they don't understand.

You'd hope that with the peace bringing in jobs and prosperity that people won't be so supportive of those who want to take that away. The longer they can keep the peace, the more likelyhood that this will fade with the younger generation as those involved in the hatred pass on.

During the troubles in Northern Ireland, many people had lost a loved one or was close to someone who had. Many people had feared, and hated, or seen the hatred close up. And many were drawn along by leaders stirring up passions. Being told they have to defend themselves, even though they didn't have a violent nature. Most were just ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. And who would never want things to go back to that.

From my experience, it was tribal, sides were taken and support given, even if it was a nod to the process. Not giving information to the police,
either through fear or support of the cause, spitting at soldiers or the throwing of rocks, often by small children encouraged by adults knowing nothing could be done etc.

There's still arms caches being discovered...

I'm still not sure a hard border would cause financial/business issues and it's being used as an excuse but we cannot afford to let the peace process falter, to take away the hope of a new generation that finally sees a future in N Ireland.

Since the 12th century Ireland had been a colony of the Norman English.
It was not until England Partitioned Ireland into the Irish free state and ulster in late 1921,
that there was any sort of border between the two. Even then they were both under the Crown.
It was not until 1948/9 when Ireland declared itself a republic, did Ireland become truly separate with a permanent border.
However even then the two populations were free to travel between the many border checkpoints.

It was not until both the UK and Ireland Joined the EEC that the border, as far as trade was concerned became somewhat academic, and it was not until the Good Friday agreement that the check points were done away with, and free movement became the norm again.

In a lot of ways, the fact that both countries are members of the EU, has become fundamental to solving the border issue.
Now that the UK wish to leave, the whole issue has come to the forefront again.

The only trade and custom borders in the EU are at its periphery, and exist between it and non EU countries.
These Borders are essential to defining what is and what is not of EU origin. and what taxes and duties apply, and who can freely cross those borders or not.

After brexit such a defacto border will exist between northern Ireland and Ireland. The problem is that such a border is contrary to the Good Friday agreement. only between 1921 and 1973 when Ireland joined the EEC did any sort of a Controlled border exist. Which is a period of only 52 years.

No one wants to create a border that confines the various people of Ireland to their side of the border, or creates a barrier to the free movement of goods. this would be a new situation that has never happened before. Irish citizens have always been free to enter the UK

However if there is no control. anyone entering Ireland could cross the border and freely continue to any other part of the UK as there would be no border check. it would also become a major route for goods both legal and otherwise to cross into the UK.
Some border is therefor essential. unless we have both freedom of movement and freedom of trade.

Therein lays the problem for brexiteers...
a similar problem exists at the border between Gibraltar and Spain, which is now an issue again, and a lesser problem between the channel Islands and France (who have never much recognised borders)

Last edited:
The EU negotiating team are happy to create a hard border, it was Us who considered it a ‘red line’.
All the EU need is a secure border between them and the rest of the world.

Where it becomes ridiculous is when the politicians so keen to extricate us from our EU neighbours and their ‘open borders’ consider hundreds of miles of border with the EU as ‘trivial’.

Good question though, but what I’d like to know is what the people who see it as ‘no problem’ believe is the solution.

It was not until England Partitioned Ireland into the Irish free state and ulster in late 1921,

Only 6 counties in Ulster were partitioned.

The second part is the sectarian violence Catholics vs protestants which is still bubbling under and wouldn't take much to reignite, wether the wall going up would tip that I don't know.

As long as you have the Protestant "Orange marches", which take place in Northern Ireland between April and August each year, then there will be tension in Ulster.
To ordinary Catholics and others in Northern Ireland, these marches are no different to Neo Nazis demonstrating in parts of Eastern Europe.
They are a celebration of everything which caused the "troubles" in the first place.

As long as you have the Protestant "Orange marches", which take place in Northern Ireland between April and August each year, then there will be tension in Ulster.
To ordinary Catholics and others in Northern Ireland, these marches are no different to Neo Nazis demonstrating in parts of Eastern Europe.
They are a celebration of everything which caused the "troubles" in the first place.
Yes. But actually possibly worse than the Nazi demos in Germany. The grief and injustice is much more recent in Ireland. In Germany, it's history to the 'parents' of the active generation. Crucially, much more time has passed. People in Germany, and in the press, are all free and keen to speak against any neo-Nazism and even the slightly far right. The mainstream are clearly all united there.

Last edited:
Crucially, much more time has passed

I think thats important, but far from the great cure you'd hope. You only have to look at how much impact WW2 has on the British psyche still. Or go the the middle east and find Arabs still talking about 'the catastrophe', or Israelis commonly cursing Emperor Claudius. Sadly time doesn't really heal

I think thats important, but far from the great cure you'd hope. You only have to look at how much impact WW2 has on the British psyche still. Or go the the middle east and find Arabs still talking about 'the catastrophe', or Israelis commonly cursing Emperor Claudius. Sadly time doesn't really heal
There is no doubt that wars will have long lasting effects, way into the future. But if any British and German people have issues, it was with the Nazis. It was a terrible situation that has long moved to an insignificant level, that hasn't affected people in their daily life for a long time.
Sure, there will always be the odd t***. But they recognised as such, regardless of the topic.

You can also measure the difference of Ireland to the middle East. In the fact that the GFA was achieved in the first place.
The basic grievances are still ongoing, and used politically in part of the Arab world. The the timer hasn't even been started yet.

Last edited:
But if any British and German people have issues, it was with the Nazis. It was a terrible situation that has long moved to an insignificant level, that hasn't affected people in their daily life for a long time.

I don't have enough German friends to comment . But, sadly, I think you're wrong about the Brits. Witness the recent referendum where a very strong feeling of 'Europe Owes Us/We stood alone' existed. Its certainly still a large part of the British mindset. Then there's the school boy chant of 'Two world wars and one world cup'. Its there still and pretty strong.

Last edited:
I don't have enough German friends to comment . But, sadly, I think you're wrong about the Brits. Witness the recent referendum where a very strong feeling of 'Europe Owes Us/We stood alone' existed. Its certainly still a large part of the British mindset. Then there's the school bro chant of 'Two world wars and one world cup'. Its there still and pretty strong.
As I said, those dopes are already known for such stupidity regardless of the topic they pick. If anything, it's based on recent events connected the with EU. There is a big difference. They are not suffering any grief from WW2. Time has done it's job there.

Last edited:
As I said, those dopes are already known for such stupidity regardless of the topic they pick. If anything, it's based on recent events connected the with EU. There is a big difference. They are not suffering any grief from WW2. Time has done it's job there.

while I would very much like to agree with you, and I know you're right about no grief it is a big part of the national thought process. One the UK need to move on from

for example

]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/sep/22/britain-nazi-obsession-insecurity-history

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...-winning-second-world-war-it-s-distorting-our

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...orld-War-director-of-British-Museum-says.html

its easy to find may more recent articles similar

while I would very much like to agree with you, and I know you're right about no grief it is a big part of the national thought process. One the UK need to move on from

for example

]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/sep/22/britain-nazi-obsession-insecurity-history

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...-winning-second-world-war-it-s-distorting-our

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...orld-War-director-of-British-Museum-says.html

its easy to find may more recent articles similar

The Guardian link isn’t working for me, but thank you for the other two. I read them both, and both are interesting. The New Statesman one in particular.
I have seen so many times (in the real world and here) the notion that we British are somehow different and superior to people from overseas. It’s both sad and infuriating.

The Guardian link isn’t working for me, but thank you for the other two. I read them both, and both are interesting. The New Statesman one in particular.

No idea why the guardian one doesn't work. It seems fine for me.

I have seen so many times (in the real world and here) the notion that we British are somehow different and superior to people from overseas. It’s both sad and infuriating.

I couldn't agree more. Its so very sad.

Late to this as been away this week.

It is really all about keeping the North and South in balance and maintaining harmony.
Which is odd as it was essentially negotiated by terrorists who basically cant even sit in a room together now in the NI Assembly.

Is all a bit nuts realy.

It's really not, it's not about a border between North and South Ireland but a border between the EU and the UK.

That's a pretty naive position to be honest and leading right into the whole its a north vs south thing, again thats a detraction. Its a eu/uk border, that is the issue.

Wow, if you think that it was all leaders stirring up passions then you really have no comprehension of what it was like growing up there.

There are two chapters in Ireland and one I think has been put to bed and that is the IRA and its fight with the UK government, large scale surrendering of weapons etc.

I don't want a wall as it will simply end up being a massive problem to maintain and it will cause friction.
What worries me more is the EU immigrants could end up using Southern Ireland as an entry point within the EU borders and then sneak over to NI and attempt to get over the sea into England etc.
Are we then going to end up with a migrant camp in NI and then the locals will have a lot to say about that and violence could errupt.

Yep, IRA is all tucked up and now you're putting up a wall? Oh throw in a comment about EU migrants sneaking across this "wall" and there will be violence? again, wow!

Since the 12th century Ireland had been a colony of the Norman English.
that there was any sort of border between the two. Even then they were both under the Crown.
It was not until 1948/9 when Ireland declared itself a republic, did Ireland become truly separate with a permanent border.
However even then the two populations were free to travel between the many border checkpoints.

soo many issues. The partition was the free state and the six counties, not Ulster, Ulster is a province of Ireland and has 3 counties in the Republic. While they were still under the crown on paper, they were run seperately and what you call a declaration in the late 40's was simply an act of parliamant, ie a finalising of a defacto state put in black and white. The border in fact officially existed from 1922/3! As for the populations being free to travel, I'd say that depends how you define free!

It was not until both the UK and Ireland Joined the EEC that the border, as far as trade was concerned became somewhat academic, and it was not until the Good Friday agreement that the check points were done away with, and free movement became the norm again.

Eh? there was nothing academic about that border just because both the UK and Ireland were in the EEC, It was only after the GFA that the actual hard border was dismantled, what you call check points.

In a lot of ways, the fact that both countries are members of the EU, has become fundamental to solving the border issue.
Now that the UK wish to leave, the whole issue has come to the forefront again.

Only because people keep stating its a uk/ireland border, it's not, its a UK / EU border, THAT is the issue.

The only trade and custom borders in the EU are at its periphery, and exist between it and non EU countries.
These Borders are essential to defining what is and what is not of EU origin. and what taxes and duties apply, and who can freely cross those borders or not.

After brexit such a defacto border will exist between northern Ireland and Ireland. The problem is that such a border is contrary to the Good Friday agreement. only between 1921 and 1973 when Ireland joined the EEC did any sort of a Controlled border exist. Which is a period of only 52 years.

Only?

No one wants to create a border that confines the various people of Ireland to their side of the border, or creates a barrier to the free movement of goods. this would be a new situation that has never happened before. Irish citizens have always been free to enter the UK

Not free, there's always been a sort of agreement/acceptance, much of it based on the fact that even when there was a hard border you could not stop people walking across fields where roads didnt exist and get across the border easily. However, when you try to access either side of that border in a car or other vehicle when there was a hard border, free movement is not a phrase that would spring to mind.

However if there is no control. anyone entering Ireland could cross the border and freely continue to any other part of the UK as there would be no border check. it would also become a major route for goods both legal and otherwise to cross into the UK.
Some border is therefor essential. unless we have both freedom of movement and freedom of trade.

In which case leaving the EU is impossible without a hard border

Therein lays the problem for brexiteers...
a similar problem exists at the border between Gibraltar and Spain, which is now an issue again, and a lesser problem between the channel Islands and France (who have never much recognised borders)[/QUOTE]

Only 6 counties in Ulster were partitioned.

What he said.

They all just love a good ruck and letting religion get the blame just makes it nice and easy to justify [emoji3]

Back