Can anyone help mend my business web site?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I have a website for my business which is essentially a portal / interface for clients to be able to upload files to our FTP site. Each client is given a username & password with which they can log in to their own area and upload files for us to work from.

The site was created a couple of years ago for us and has run seamlessly without a glitch. However, I have now discovered that, for some reason, we can no longer create new clients via the portal. As you can imagine, this is a complete nightmare and very embarrassing when a new client can’t be given their own FTP access via the portal. I have repeatedly tried to get in touch with the company who created the site for us but it appears that they are no longer in business. From a couple of people I have spoken to it has been suggested that the database file may have become corrupted or even deleted.

Is there anyone here who would be prepared to have a look at this for me and see how the problem might be resolved? Obvioulsy I realise you will need far more info and access to the site. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m pulling my hair out!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Pm me some more details and I'll take a look, see if there's anything I can do... today must be web rescue day :LOL:

Could it just be that there is a cap on how many ftp accounts you can make with your hosting package? - I am no expert, but that is the first thing that sprang to mind. Are the other accounts working ok?

Pm me some more details and I'll take a look, see if there's anything I can do... today must be web rescue day :LOL:

Many thanks, I'll get some info together and pm you in a while. Appreciate it :)

Could it just be that there is a cap on how many ftp accounts you can make with your hosting package? - I am no expert, but that is the first thing that sprang to mind. Are the other accounts working ok?

No it's not that Tom, the site is hosted on a dedicated server. All the existing accounts are working perfectly (thank goodness!) it's just that we are no longer able to create new ones :bang:. Out of interest, I can still create a client folder on the ftp server itself, but of course, it has to be created by the interface to create & enable password access etc

Thatss likley - even on a dedicated server - there is probrably a silly setting for it. Often it is set to something as a default. If you delete a few redudnant accounts can you suddenly create one?

Hi Richard,

Just tried that to be sure. No difference I'm afraid. I deleted 3 redundant accounts and still can't create a new one :(. Thanks anyway :)

Scripts dont break.. they dont run down or get worn out... for a script to stop working there has to be an outside problem ie no point changing anything in the script...and I will guess its as simple as file permissions being changed and a bit of chmod will fix :)

or the company who set it up thought they would ball it up for you??(not implying or saying they have)

no idea, but good luck in getting it fixed

Scripts dont break.. they dont run down or get worn out... for a script to stop working there has to be an outside problem ie no point changing anything in the script...and I will guess its as simple as file permissions being changed and a bit of chmod will fix :)

They can date though. Software updates, deprecated functionality etc all have the potential to break a previously working script.

Scripts dont break! be told :) .. sorry hehe.. but seriously you cant.. you just explained exactly what i explained... it has to be an outside influence thats changed...that can make the script defunct but it doesnt change the fact that the script is still a workign script

leaving your lenscap on your camera and try to get pics you will get nothing (ok ok you will get a black picture) .. its still a perfectly working camera :)

All scripts need maintenance. You can't deny that. Especially when vulnerabilities are found.

Hi Richard,

Just tried that to be sure. No difference I'm afraid. I deleted 3 redundant accounts and still can't create a new one :(. Thanks anyway :)
Call my office in the morning
0115 845 8953

No, no flash used

Just to sort of update this thread. I had a look earlier and it's actually a very basic bit of php code and is failing when trying to create a new folder via ftp. Using the same user I can log on manually and have all the rights needed to make and delete folders. The code is good but something is preventing the new folders from being created. Hopefully in the morning I'll get access to the server logs and get some more details of the errors.

Thanks Andy, I was about to add an update but you've done a far more coherent version than I was attempting :)

I've emailed the server host to request access to the log file so should hopefully have that in the morning.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. It's greatly appreciated :)

I'm just downloading the apache error log, it might show something but it's 116mb and coming in at 70k :(

:gulp: could take a while :(

Ok, error log pointed me in the right direction.. it's all working again matey (y)

I'll send the details in a pm...

I've responded to your pm Andy but I'd just like to say publicly how grateful I am that you were prepared to take the time to look into this and ultimately solve it for me. You are a top man (y)

Just for info, what pxl8 found by logging into the admin panel was that the server name was missing a . and the user/pw were also blank. I need to look into how this can have happened as I can't believe these have changed of their own accord.

Anyway, for now I'm a relieved and happy chappie :)

well done pxl8

Back