Can anyone recommend a half decent tv

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ours has just gone bang after 14 years faithful service, although the picture has slowly been degrading over the couple of months.

I'm looking for an LCD, unless of course you tell me different, about 32-36", maybe slightly bigger and hopefully around £1k (D200 back down the waiting list - again:bang: ). We've always liked Sony products but are willing to look at other brands. I know bugger about this so all help will be gratefully received.

i have a Sony 42" LCD Grand Wega II ,

can beat it imho

MyPix

You could buy my 9 month old spare one, 26" Toshiba LCD, in imaculate condition for £350 plus postage.

8602b485.jpg

5c4be3b5.jpg

Library Picture
1475cbaa.jpg

May I suggest, if the above doesn't float your boat, the Sony Bravia 32", bought mine for 1100 with a free Sony DVD Recorder.

Sony used to make the best TV tubes, the trinitron range, I wouldn't pay their prices these days though unless what you see is spectacularly better than you can get elsewhere.

If you are going to buy a LCD tv go and see it in action, either a Sony centre or a Panasonic centre, or somewhere where they know what they are talking about. As far as build quality goes nothing is much good these days, even the better known names cannot afford to build too well since the retail price of tvs is so low.

Things to look for, refresh rate - as low as possible, angle of view - vertical and horizontal, a good contrast ratio, and how many inputs are there for extra bits like digi boxes, dvd players etc, you want at least 3 scart or similar sockets.

Go have a read at avforums and get even more confused :)

There are always favourite among the current models....just a matter of keep poking round forum sites until you work out which are the good ones and what to avoid. Least thats what I'd do.

Can't help with the actual choice of TV, but i'd say have a look for one which had a dvi socket.

Surfing the net and photoshop on a 42" screen must be fun :D

digitalfailure said:

sure is.......

MyPix

another thing you must look out for is how black is the black on screen, lesser makes are more of a dark grey , if you know what i mean

digitalfailure said:
Can't help with the actual choice of TV, but i'd say have a look for one which had a dvi socket.

Never thought to try that DF ... yet ... :D ... must give it a go ... :p

Colin ... Pioneer are supposed to be one of the best to buy right now ... I have had one since earlier in the year ... and it is absolutely superb ... cannot fault it m8 ... (y)

Personal choice at the end of the day ... go to a smaller independent for viewing/comparison ... much better than the big multis 'cos they generally do know what they are talking about ... ours (Saffron Walden) was great on price and fitted up for free ... :LOL:

HTH ... :p

Theres a bloke gets down my local who looks alright in high heels and fishnets...

oopps, my mistake, I will get me coat :D

(drat, the secret is out)

We've recently got a Samsung 40" LCD. When in the shop I did notice that ALLthe lcd screens are not as clear picture quality as you would be used to in your ordinary CRT screen. If you dont get far enough away you can see small artefacts around the edges, especially of moving things. LCD screens are known for this, but at far enough distance its fine (ie, 10/12 feet)

Also, 2 scart sockets are fine if you are getting Sky HD, as this connects through a new type of lead called hmdi.

HTH

Yes some large TV's over power the room and start to pixelate too much when you sit too close to them.

However, I bought Plasma almost 2 years ago, I wish I had waited and bought one of the new generation LCD's.

The Samsung one is excellent value for money and is bar far the leading brand at the moment with what you get. 5000:1 Contrast Ratio being one of the leaders in the market where other LCD's are only 1000:1.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we've decided to go for 32", at the moment Tesco are doing a Sony Bravia 32" for £799 so we'll probably go for that.

sure you don't want to buy a second 32" widescreen crt one instead of a nice new lovely LCD?

No?

:exit::coat:

;)

Back