Can I have a hand getting my website up an running again please?

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
I did have a site up and running, but unfortunately due to hosting issues, it went down. Ive now sorted out the hosting problem, but i still can't get my site working properly. I say properly.. i actually mean i can't get it working at all. :/ Ive uploaded the site as it was before, with the index.html and all the contents etc. Yet whenever i go to the web adress, it just comes up with a 404 error. Ive looked at the log files which is accessed through the ftp, and they show that I have tried to access the site. So the domain seems to be talking to the hosting server, yet it can't find the index.html. Any suggestions?

any chance there's a typo in the file name?

Check you have uploaded into correct folder, usually public_html, but can vary on different hosting packages. The check the issues with your hosts have definately been sorted.

Oh, do you normally have control panel access, and if so, can you still access that?

unfortunately not. Its the same index.html that I used before when it worked. The only difference this time is that I have chosen a windows server, not a Linux one.

just a wild shot but try renaming index.html to index.htm
I once had this problem with a server

Hang on, you have moved servers? How recently, and were the DNS servers updated at the time?

Maybe not? Look at this.... lots of fails on name server...which may be your problem, the internet is looking in the wrong place for your website.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=afowler.co.uk

Try using htm instead of html, that might work better on a windwos server, I am not sure, never been brave enough to use one.:shrug:

Check you have uploaded into correct folder, usually public_html, but can vary on different hosting packages. The check the issues with your hosts have definately been sorted.

Oh, do you normally have control panel access, and if so, can you still access that?

I have a suspicious feeling you might have a point here. I stupidly deleted the default folder structure they give you (Easyspace) as last time the website worked perfectly fine without it (just placed the site in the root folder) I wonder if its because its a windows server its being more fussy. Any diea what the dafault folders would be?:(

just a wild shot but try renaming index.html to index.htm
I once had this problem with a server
Tried it, doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hang on, you have moved servers? How recently, and were the DNS servers updated at the time?

They should have been. It was all changed about a week ago now.

Maybe not? Look at this.... lots of fails on name server...which may be your problem, the internet is looking in the wrong place for your website.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=afowler.co.uk

Try using htm instead of html, that might work better on a windwos server, I am not sure, never been brave enough to use one.:shrug:

hmm, tricky one... no idea what default folder system windows use... someone else round here might. Your hosts should be able to look at it and tell you what the problem is though.

Yes, a week is long enough for dns servers to update, IF they were done....silly question, have you stayed with same hosts and just moved server, or moved to entirely new hosts?

Same hosts. I had let my hosting lapse, so I signed up to them again with the same domain name.

:thinking: and you bought the domain name from them originally too I am guessing?

I would get onto their support ask them to run some checks, its either the name servers, or not having the default directory I think.

Thank for the help peeps. Ive fired off an Email to their support. As you say, it probably is the folders causing the problems. Its just strange that it used to work wihtout the default folders, but now it doesn't. Must have been Linux knowing what I wanted.

windows works in strange ways..or doesn;t work at all ;)

The default folder usually for websites is public_html

If you've deleted all the folders, then you've probably deleted the setup and config files in there needed to make the website work. Without them, then your site wont work.

Well ive just been on to their support, and they're restoring the default folders for me. Lets see if that works.:thinking: Im good with computers, and all things technical, but when it comes to networks/internet/any of that malarky.. my brain just turns to jelly.:LOL:

So you can restore them in future :LOL: the default folders for easyspace are......

logfiles - dunno what else goes in here I think its for the stats etc :shrug:

web\content\ - all web stuff goes here
web\data\ - again :shrug:

[Harry Enfield]
You don't want to go with a Windows platform you wanna go with BSD or Linux. Them website colours is all wrong too - you want to go with a misty buff.
[/Harry Enfield]

So you can restore them in future :LOL: the default folders for easyspace are......

logfiles - dunno what else goes in here I think its for the stats etc :shrug:

web\content\ - all web stuff goes here
web\data\ - again :shrug:

Hehe, cheers. the log files one is if you enable erm.. logfiles in the control panel. :)

[Harry Enfield]
You don't want to go with a Windows platform you wanna go with BSD or Linux. Them website colours is all wrong too - you want to go with a misty buff.
[/Harry Enfield]

Huh, a misty buff?

(y) Looks like its working again....

I take it you won't be deleting folders again in a hurry will you :LOL:;)

Yeah, its getting there thanks. Just sorting it out again now. Im having problem uploading 3 pics though. They have quite long names, do windows server have an 8.3 character filename limit or something? Should have gone with a Linux server, would have been much easier, lol.

Right, its back! Took a little while, but its pretty much how it was before the nuke;

www.Afowler.co.uk

Its nice and simple, and im quite pleased with how it looks. However, i'd like to change it a bit, and since I have no programming skills, I was wondering if anyone with some html/css skills would be kind enough to help me out. Ideally I would like the current flash gallery embedded into a html page (I know how to do this) with some sort of header bar at the top of the page (an image, with my name on etc), then directly under this, another bar with navigation buttons leading to other html pages (Contact details, CV etc). Any kind soul willing to help me out here, or lead me in the right direction?:)

My html skills are at best, limited, but if you use a web design program [dreamweaver, web expression, etc] you should be able to insert banners and navigation into the html part of the page using either the included 'buttons' or by inserting your own - using tables for a very simple nav bar is one way, adding cells with text for each link. Every button or piece of text can have a hyperlink attached in its properties. Graphic Banners are normally image files you insert into the page, made up yourself in photoshop or similar. Flash banners more tricky, need someone else to explain that one. :puke:

Rene Asmussen used to have exactly what you're after on his webpage. He used simpleviewer and had menus and a header above. The simpleview generated page was based in an <iframe> in his page. I'll give you a hand if you like cos I was writing something similar a few months back but never used it..

Rene's changed it recently to something a lot worse.. Oh well. Stunning pictures, pants site

Back