Can someone advise me if this is a good editing laptop?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I've traded this laptop in brand new condition for some camera gear and would like to know whether it's a good option for editing on photoshop. I don't know much about them. I could sell it and buy another if it isn't.

Regards

Scott

?

Hi folks,

I've traded this laptop in brand new condition for some camera gear and would like to know whether it's a good option for editing on photoshop. I don't know much about them. I could sell it and buy another if it isn't.

Regards

Scott

Try as I might my ESP is too weak to read your mind, please sit closer to the laptop and stare at the TP homepage 'focusing' your thoughts on asking for help!

Better yet just tell us exactly what you have bought and what software you have or wish to run on it ;)

I think it's a Schrödinger laptop, it was there in the post until we read it and then it vanished. If we stop reading the post it may reappear.

Haha sorry guys. I thought I'd pasted the bloody specs. Serves me right for rushing. Here they are.

K550IU 15.6 INCH FHD AMD FX-9830P 8GB 1TB + 128GB Radeon RX 460 DVD Win 10
AMD Quad Core amd quad core fx-9830p processor dual core processor.
3GHz processor speed. 8GB RAM. 128GB storage. Microsoft Windows 10.
15.6 inch screen. High definition display. Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
AMD Radeon HDamd radeon rx 460 graphics card. Dedicated graphics card.
Up to 6 hours battery life.Built-in audio sound system.

Haha sorry guys. I thought I'd pasted the bloody specs. Serves me right for rushing. Here they are.

K550IU 15.6 INCH FHD AMD FX-9830P 8GB 1TB + 128GB Radeon RX 460 DVD Win 10
AMD Quad Core amd quad core fx-9830p processor dual core processor.
3GHz processor speed. 8GB RAM. 128GB storage. Microsoft Windows 10.
15.6 inch screen. High definition display. Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
AMD Radeon HDamd radeon rx 460 graphics card. Dedicated graphics card.
Up to 6 hours battery life.Built-in audio sound system.

[emoji23][emoji23], no worries. Just got us a bit confused. You should have no problem running things like ps and lr on that. I have a laptop with a dual core i3 and 4 gb ram. It runs ps fine. But quite a bit slower than my desktop.
You should be fine with that.

On the face of it decent spec to run quite demanding software but......

The screen resolution IMO is too low and personally I would like to know (were I buying it) whether it can be calibrated???

Edit - just spotted this "AMD Quad Core amd quad core fx-9830p processor dual core processor" how can it be both Quad and Dual core???

Oh, also is the W10 the 64 bit version?

Last edited:
The other thing I have tried to find this on Asus site but looks like it it might be a discontinued one and possibly from a non European market area???

I know the basics about computers like storage, ram etc but some of this stuff like hybrid drives have me lost. I know ssd drives speed things up but I've never heard of hybrid drives.

I found one or two videos on youtube showing it and describing it as a gaming laptop but they were foreign reviewers.

I know the basics about computers like storage, ram etc but some of this stuff like hybrid drives have me lost. I know ssd drives speed things up but I've never heard of hybrid drives.

A hybrid drive is a mix between a hdd and an ssd. Its mostly hdd, but has a small section of ssd on it. Its essentially making youe Ram bigger. Storing commonly used data and files.

Hmmmmm! though a .co.uk site the registrant is a Spainish national and the site talks of being an Amazon Merchant. There are no obvious contact details of any sort ~ which as a buyer would put me off 100% especially as my experience buying from Amazon merchants of the few minor items to date has never gone 100% well.

Having said that and based on your question............................did you find out why the original owner was selling it? Again a question I would have asked ;)

I found one or two videos on youtube showing it and describing it as a gaming laptop but they were foreign reviewers.

My first thought when I saw the spec was that it was aimed at the gaming market.......................putting the model in Google gave me mostly (as far as I could tell) what seemed to be Indian language websites but with a few UK links to webshops. So a tad curious hence my comments above about its original market of sales?

My first thought when I saw the spec was that it was aimed at the gaming market.......................putting the model in Google gave me mostly (as far as I could tell) what seemed to be Indian language websites but with a few UK links to webshops. So a tad curious hence my comments above about its original market of sales?

Like you said earlier. Maybe its not meant for a European market?
Strange this fella has got it then [emoji848][emoji28]

Like you said earlier. Maybe its not meant for a European market?
Strange this fella has got it then [emoji848][emoji28]

I surmise there is a global market in such electronic goods as the webshops do list in sterling and indeed apparently Amazon used to list it (presumably via merchants).

Like buying any goods caveat emptor.

On the face of it decent spec to run quite demanding software but......

The screen resolution IMO is too low and personally I would like to know (were I buying it) whether it can be calibrated???

Edit - just spotted this "AMD Quad Core amd quad core fx-9830p processor dual core processor" how can it be both Quad and Dual core???

Oh, also is the W10 the 64 bit version?

AMD cores are different than intel. Its complicated but an intel dual core will often beat what AMD call quad core except for some instances.

AMD cpu`s suit some tasks very well apparently but may be of little use to average joe, like running virtual machines and nonsense that most people never heard of.

It is a good enough spec as laptops go, it has a good built in graphics card but the screen will be mediocre for editing work and you should budget for a decent monitor, keboard and mouse and then you can use the laptop as a base unit.

very few laptops have decent enough screens for editing and colour matching.

Cheers guys. I've since found out it has another name over here. Someone at av forums told me. It's for sale over there as I've turned my spare room into an office so I've got space for a desktop.

Back