Can someone explain video speeds to me

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
For a complete novice,

What is the difference in recording at 60, 30, 24p?
I can see you get longer recording times but for a short minute or two clip is one better than another?
In what situation would you use these speeds?

It's on a Panasonic LX15

Thanks for the link :)

Why would you use, in 4k mode for example, 24p instead of 30p or visa versa

Thanks for the link :)

Why would you use, in 4k mode for example, 24p instead of 30p or visa versa
Tv refresh rates match the frequency of the mains electricity to avoid the refresh looking ‘odd’.

So in the UK the frequency rate is 60hz so 30fps looks better.

Tv refresh rates match the frequency of the mains electricity to avoid the refresh looking ‘odd’.

The mains frequency rate in the UK is 50hz.

The UK mains frequency is 50Hz.

The reason for using a related frame rate is (currently) a) to prevent flicker caused by mains lighting and b) to match the main frame rate used in a region's TV system. If you shot under UK mains lighting at 60fps you'd get a lovely 15Hz visible change in lighting level.

25fps gives you more motion artefacts than 50fps - blurring and juddering - some like them - 25 is used for drama, 50 for sport and news.

It's traditional to use something near half the frame rate as the shutter speed. (so 1/50 for 25fps, 1/100 for 50fps)

24fps is the frame rate of motion film cameras - some people think it's a magical number crafted by motion picture experts - it's not, it just meant that if you shot on academy format 35mm at 24fps, the film lasted the same length of time as the recorded audio and stayed in synch (if the first talkie wasn't The Jazz Singer by Vitaphone, we'd have had a different number).

Back