Beginner Can you help me with a photo please?

Name
Aura
Edit My Images
Yes
I hope this is the right forum?

Hi I am in a bit of a delemma at the moment. One of my photo's which I titled heaven has been chosen by the London photo gallery to exhibit. They want me to send the image at 300 dpi high res JPEG (2-3 MB).

The thing is I don't know how to make it 300 dpi as I did it in a programme called Picture monkey which compressed it a bit. Please can you tell me how I can get the resolution to 300 dpi?

I am thrilled it has been chosen, but I am now worried I am going to miss out as per usuel because of my stupid lack of knowledge.
confused.png

I have to get it to them by the 18th of October.

Can you advise me please?

What photo/image software do you have?

Upon publishing (export) features like resolution, colour space etc will be offered as options!

I'm not familiar with that software, when cropping is there any options for setting the ppi?

Do you still have the original, if its already compressed I'm not sure you can revert that.

In Picture monkey it gives you the option to upload and save at different rates. With humorous names such as Jack, Bubbles & KingKong for upload and Roger, Pierce and Sean for saving. You should be able to work something out.

Do they need it to be exactly 300dpi?

Why do these kinds of organisations even ask for specific dpi? Minimum digital resolution, sure. DPI us meaningless unless you know the resolution.

Why do these kinds of organisations even ask for specific dpi? Minimum digital resolution, sure. DPI us meaningless unless you know the resolution.

Strictly DPI is resolution. But DPI is meaningless in this context. They can take a JPEG and print it any size they like. The size they print will alter the effective DPI.

I hope this is the right forum?
Hi I am in a bit of a delemma at the moment. One of my photo's which I titled heaven has been chosen by the London photo gallery to exhibit. They want me to send the image at 300 dpi high res JPEG (2-3 MB).

I think the key thing here is not the "resolution", but rather the desire to have the image 2-3Mb in size. Just resize the image (height/width) in your application to get a JPEG file that is the required size in bytes.

It looks like "Jack" is the right setting from the flickr forum mentioned earlier.

Strictly DPI is resolution. But DPI is meaningless in this context. They can take a JPEG and print it any size they like. The size they print will alter the effective DPI.

I think the key thing here is not the "resolution", but rather the desire to have the image 2-3Mb in size. Just resize the image (height/width) in your application to get a JPEG file that is the required size in bytes.

It looks like "Jack" is the right setting from the flickr forum mentioned earlier.

Strictly, DPI is a physical property of whatever printer it is printed on. But for some reason, people (including publications) have started referring to PPI as DPI

Strictly, DPI is a physical property of whatever printer it is printed on. But for some reason, people (including publications) have started referring to PPI as DPI
Whether you call it PPI or DPI, it's still not relevant to a digital file.

Every digital image is potentially 300 PPI/DPI, until it's printed at a size when it's not.

You'd think a "gallery" would have the sense to specify a minimum dimension in pixels.

Whether you call it PPI or DPI, it's still not relevant to a digital file.

Every digital image is potentially 300 PPI/DPI, until it's printed at a size when it's not.

You'd think a "gallery" would have the sense to specify a minimum dimension in pixels.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

The PPI is set at the moment you print. But the DPI is just how the printer works, so may well be different to the PPI.

So you can print a 3000 pixel wide image at 10" on a 600DPI printer, but the image is 300PPI.

Why?

90% of people in the publishing industry are clueless in this respect. I wouldn't expect galleries to be any different.

The PPI is set at the moment you print. But the DPI is just how the printer works, so may well be different to the PPI.
Indeed. But this definition of DPI isn't a lot of use unless you also know how many ink dots are required to create each pixel, and that information isn't always easy to come by. The capability of a printer is much more meaningful and useful if it's expressed as PPI instead of DPI, but that doesn't produce such large impressive-sounding numbers, so you can see why the printer manufacturers prefer DPI.

Back