Beginner Can you recommend a host website from which to sell prints?

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been taking some pics at events (I won't bore you with the details) and people have been asking me if they can get prints and/or digital copies.
Is there such a thing as a site that I can put my pics on for anyone to see, and they can just go and order prints or download pics, and some £ goes to me?
Then, if anyone asks me, I can direct them to the site and user name?
If this is a thing, can anyone recommend a good one? As an incompetent amateur, easy to use for me and the punters is important.

(sorry if this is bloody obvious)

500px.com allows you to sell prints the way you have described. Although I've never done it so can't recommend it.

Last edited:
Hi, that site seems to be US based (all in dollars) and not sure what would stop people being able to just copy the pics if they wanted just digital copies?
They ship worldwide, I believe. You also can't "right click/save" from 500px, so there's basic protection against people just downloading the pics.

can't you get round right click with a screen grab?

That's exactly what I thought. People might not be able to get the highest quality image but it'd still be reasonable.

They ship worldwide, I believe. You also can't "right click/save" from 500px, so there's basic protection against people just downloading the pics.

I would have thought a UK based place would have lower shipping costs?

I haven't checked out Photobox for ages but they used to do that and their prints were good and competitively priced.

Ah you've selected my free service. I should warn you that it's rather rudimentary. I looked at the P'box site and there's a 'pro album' I think it was called service that does what you want but a couple of internet reviews said that there were problems, one of which was navigating the P'box website!

Try condensing the essence of what you're after into a terse sentence, and type that into google, and press return to get the list of results - then choose the google sub-menu 'search tools', scroll left and select 'uk' instead of the default 'any country'.

We're running wild, here ...

Last edited:
Have a look at redbubble, you can sell your images on various items such as postcards, greetings cards, iPad cases etc. You set your own Mark up and they do the rest for you.

Also check out popular labs like DSCL ...

There seems to be some link-up with 'the image file' but it seems like a pro service that you have to pay for and you have to set up a website - overkill for me

Have a look at redbubble, you can sell your images on various items such as postcards, greetings cards, iPad cases etc. You set your own Mark up and they do the rest for you.

I don't think that this is quite right for my needs - doesn't look like you can just bung a load of images there and let people chose the one they want.
It also seems to have some pretty bad site reviews.

Have a look at Zenfolio, you can have a free trial and see how you get on, choose which products you want to offer, and for how much, and fulfilled by a choice of providers. I've been with them for the past few years, zero issues, good service.

If you like it give me a shout, I've got a referral code you can use, we both earn a few quid.

If you like it give me a shout, I've got a referral code you can use, we both earn a few quid.[/quote]

I've had a look and it's at least £25 per year - that's going to be more than I'd want to pay until I know if there's any demand (I'd need more than the 2 week trial)?
Photobox seems to offer what i need (apart from having on screen water marks *not sure of the correct terminology*).

I like your photos BTW!

I used photobox a while ago when I was asked to do an event - worked OK and had no complaints about the prints.

Was a pro account but cost nothing to set up at the time, they just set prices and you adjust yours accordingly.

I used photobox a while ago when I was asked to do an event - worked OK and had no complaints about the prints.

Was a pro account but cost nothing to set up at the time, they just set prices and you adjust yours accordingly.
Thanks, good to know. I'm having problems setting-up but waiting for them to get back to me, and hopefully will be sorted.
Can I ask you if, with a pro account, whether the images are 'screen watermarked' so people can't just print the screen?

I've just been through this process.

Photobox Gallery allows you to sell prints, set prices and choose which products to offer but the UI for setting it up is broken to the point of being nearly unusable - I've had some discussion with their tech support and there's no time frame for fixing it.
Zenfolio and SmugMug will do everything you want but you will need a pro account to sell prints which may prove expensive, unless you only need it for as long as the free trial lasts. These two allow you to specify a pro lab rather than consumer lab if print quality is important. At least one of them also offers prints via Photobox.
Pixieset has an option to charge commission rather than periodically.
EverybodySmile is another UK option.
I haven't been able to work out whether RedBubble orders are fulfilled by a UK lab or not.

There are others, too, but SmugMug and Zenfolio are the leaders. I found SmugMug much easier to use.

More info here: http://goo.gl/DBvHU2

I've just been through this process.

Photobox Gallery allows you to sell prints, set prices and choose which products to offer but the UI for setting it up is broken to the point of being nearly unusable - I've had some discussion with their tech support and there's no time frame for fixing it.
Zenfolio and SmugMug will do everything you want but you will need a pro account to sell prints which may prove expensive, unless you only need it for as long as the free trial lasts. These two allow you to specify a pro lab rather than consumer lab if print quality is important. At least one of them also offers prints via Photobox.
Pixieset has an option to charge commission rather than periodically.
EverybodySmile is another UK option.
I haven't been able to work out whether RedBubble orders are fulfilled by a UK lab or not.

There are others, too, but SmugMug and Zenfolio are the leaders. I found SmugMug much easier to use.

More info here: http://goo.gl/DBvHU2

Thanks - I looked at smugmug but it seemed that the prints came from abroad so I dismissed it. Have i missed something?
I'm pushing forward with Photobox - it seems ok but support is poor. it's a shame that customers can order your prints but not mugs/t-shirts/canvas etc, nor digital images.

Back