Cannot install Photoshop

Name
Gerard Saunders
Edit My Images
Yes
I would really welcome some advice before I throw my PC through the window. I have downloaded PSElements 6 from the Adobe website, twice now, but when I run it I get that old message "Photoshop has encountered a problem and needs to shut down, send error report etc."

I tried installing PSCS2 as well and get the same message when I try to run it.

I am running Windows XP with plenty of memory and disc space so I would welcome any input before I declare that writing off four hours is enough for one day and start taking it out on my gear!!

Any help appreciated!!

(Frustrated of Sussex)

So has it installed and the error comes up when you try and run the app or is it failing during installation?

Are you running Service Pack 2? If not would suggest installing this to start.

I presume you get this when you try to run the installer and not when you try to run the program after install.

Have you rebooted, obvious I know but can cure a lot of problems, also there could be remnants of a previous PSCS or Elements install that could be conflicting with the installer

If all the above is ok only thing to do is re install XP or do a repair with the installation disc.

HTH

Thanks for the help chaps. The programme installs OK but the error comes up when I try to run it.

I'd guess that way too sounds like its a conflict between an older version or the absence of SP2.

Have you installed the eval earlier and then had it time out?

I have only installed the software this week. I already have service pack 2 installed.

try uninstall PSP and elements then start again

Click Start>Run and type eventvwr.msc

Check the application logfile. Report back with any related errors to this problem, along with the brief description and the eventid number

Assuming you have enough memory to run it, you should try clearing your temp folder before trying again, the existence of old or corrupt PS entries might still lie in the registry and prevent re-installation, you would need to identify these (not a easy task). Failing that possibly you got sold a faulty one, try asking the vendor replace it.

It's certainly possible to have CS and CS3 installed at the same time...I have them both on my system (XP)
CS doesn't need SP2 but CS3 does.
Trying to load CS3 without SP2 will give you the failure at the start of the install.
Bob

As you have downloaded the applications from the adobe web site you may have a bad download. Yes it does happen.

First I would uninstall the software using the Add/Remove programs option.

Then download a second version of the software and see if that loads OK.

Finally , uninstall, use System Restore to put the computer back to a time prior to installation, and then try again.

It's a good idea to make a restore point prior to loading software, just in case. Speaking from bitter experience here.

Back