canon 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 IS L lens HELP

Name
James (Retired)
Edit My Images
No
Having just got this lens i need some help please,maybe its all down to the settings i used,not sure.
Really just looking for a tutorial on how to use this lens,like what metering mode & setting to infinity or not for distance shots.
I went out yesterday & tried a few shots but the results really disappointed me,not sure where i am going wrong yet.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/jockwav/mini-IMG_0029.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/jockwav/mini-IMG_0005.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

I seem to have lost some of the exif info.but here is some info.
First picture,
F18
1/80th sec
iso 100
focal length 100mm
metering mode average
IS on

Second shot
f11
1/125th sec
iso 100
100mm
metering mode average

No it was handheld with IS on.

I know this will sound daft but were you assuming autofocus when you had the lens set on MF?

I don't know if this is your first biggish lens, going by your camera bag it is, quite a few people have trouble with it to start with and blame the lens, when it really is just a case of getting use to handling it, once you get the hang of it it's a nice lens.

What is it that is disappointing you about these shots? Sharpness?

Is this your first heavy lens? If you used it hand held, the balance can take a bit of getting used to and getting it level. Metering/settings - I don't tend to treat it any differently to any other lens, I set for the situation rather than the lens.

Just remember to turn the IS off if you are using a tripod and to Mode 2 if you are using a monopod/panning

My camera was set for MF & the lens was left on autofocus,i appreciate all your imput as this is my first big lens.

Yes & the sharpness left a lot to be desired,probably down to me though.

Jock, if you have a filter fitted, take it off and take a few test shots with out the filter.

Don't forget the shutter speed rule

1/focal length

So focal length of 100mm, shutter speed 1/100 at least. Faster would be better to eliminate shake.

Try another test this time using a tripod. IS is great but it's not a cure all, and the 100-400 is not a light lens. Also keep your aperture to around F11. You can get diffraction problems if you go too small and this will affect the image.

Using a Tripod will convince you the lens is OK. Then you need to practice hand holding it. Every one has their own technique. I try and hold the camera with my right hand and then support the lens with my left, making a V at the elbow keeping my elbow tucked hard into my body. It's better than a workout at the gym.

Also look at where the AF is focusing. It could be locking onto an area that is in the wrong location. If so use the selective AF function to select one more appropriate.

F18 I'd say is going to start introducing diffraction problems - and at those focallenghts and that range you don't really need to go above F8.
For the first time out with the lens 1/80th is too slow as well, this is a heavy old lens and takes some getting used to.

Also, what were you expecting?

Thanks for all your imput guys i have taken note of all the suggestions you have mentioned & i will start again from scratch trying everything mentioned here.
I guess i am trying to run before i can walk here,but thats me,:D i will slow down a bit & try again,thanks again guys.:)(y)

Back