Canon 1000D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just read about the new Canon 1000D. Review.

7846-EOS1000D3quart500.jpg

7846-EOS1000DBCK500.jpg

I'm confused now.

Is it just a 400D with live view? A 450D with a couple of less MP?

the EOS 1000D will be available from the end of July priced at £499.99 body-only, or as a kit with an 18-55mm image-stabilised lens for £579.99

OK, a little bit cheaper, but.............

From AP magazine..

Canon hopes its EOS 1000D will trigger a digital SLR revolution among mass market consumers, tempting them into taking their first steps into DSLR photography.

Pitched below the 12.2MP EOS 450D, the 1000D features a 10.1-million-pixel CMOS sensor and will vie for position in the cut-throat consumer DSLR battleground where it will go head to head against models such as Nikon's D60.

The 1000D inherits key features from higher-end EOS models, including Live View and Digic III image processor.

It is due to land in UK stores at the end of July or beginning of August priced £499.99. It will also be out as a kit that includes an 18-55mm IS lens, priced £579.99.

Canon Europe has confirmed that the entry-level 400D will soon cease production. However, it tells us that the 1000D is not a replacement for the 400D, a model announced in August 2006, priced around £650.

Squarely aimed at the entry-level user, Canon claims its new baby will serve as the 'gateway to full EOS power'.

Mike Owen, photo products team leader at Canon Europe's Planning Division, told AP: 'We think this will be incredibly popular. We have seen a huge expansion in the market since the EOS 300D and we hope that the 1000D will continue to drive that conversion.'

So in effect the days of the 400d are numbered (not surprising given the 450d in the range), and the 1000d is aentry level camera with slower spec than the 450d.

Model numbering system leaves a lot to be desired, but i suppose they are getting back to higher numbers mean lower spec ie 1d, 5d, 40d, 450d,1000d

Canon 1000D??? Why? i reckon they should have put their efforts into updating the long awaited 5D... Canon will now have the 400D - 450D and 1000D beginner DSLR'S....

Not sure where they are going with this, the 450D kit can be bought for £485 in the UK, unless the street price of this new model is going to be significantly less, it's going to fail miserably.

It just seems like a strange idea to introduce another beginner model with similar features to the 450D

Not sure where they are going with this, the 450D kit can be bought for £485 in the UK, unless the street price of this new model is going to be significantly less, it's going to fail miserably.

This is cheaper. Canon say the 1000D will be £500, but they also see the 450D as being about £650. The street price of the 450D is a little under £500, expect the street price of the 1000D, in a few months time, to be closer to £300.

There is a bit of a battle to have the cheapest DSLR in the market. They know (and we've all seen the posts here) that there are lots of people looking to buy a DSLR as cheaply as they can. The manufacturers also know that when someone buys a camera, more than likely they will stick to that brand from then on. Therefore having a really cheap entry level model will tie more people into their brand, and they can take money off them later when they upgrade.

If Canon released a D40 priced model, they would dominate the bottom end of the market, while currently people looking to buy a cheap SLR tend to swing towards Nikon.
Just from my experience working in Jessops.

I, however, think that rather than great customer service, this is just a money making scheme (obviously all businesses are money makers at heart, but this is literally JUST to get more money, not to accommodate the needs of the market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back