Beginner Canon 100D Autofocus

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I’m wondering if there are any Canon 100D users that an help with an autofocus query?

We’ve just purchased a used Canon 100D camera for our daughter who is doing GCSE photography.

When the camera is in live view and the picture is out of focus, we press the shutter button halfway and the screen/picture comes into focus.

When looking though the viewfinder the picture seems to always be in focus. When pressing the shutter button nothing seems to happen apart from the focus points light up red.

Is this normal or should it be out of focus when looking through the view finder, until you press the shutter button which then brings it into focus?

I hope that makes enough sense for someone to offer some advice.

Thanks

Before the explanation, I’ll confirm there’s nothing wrong with the camera.

There really is no difference between the views other than the fact that it’s easier to see the larger screen.

The proof of this is if you focus on a really close object and then lift the camera to look at a really far object. It’ll definitely look out of focus even through the viewfinder.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Phil.

As far as I’m aware there’s nothing wrong with the camera, at least I haven’t noticed anything.

I did think that it should look blurred through the viewfinder and then come into focus once the shutter button was pressed.

I’ll put the battery on charge and have a look tomorrow.

Thanks again for your input.

The image in the viewfinder will only look out of focus if it is out of focus.

To test this, turn the manual focus ring on the lens until the image is blurry and then half press the shutter button. It should focus on whatever your focus point is aimed at.

Back