Canon 100d - Worth it for a beginner?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I'm very new not only to this site, but to photography itself. I was about to rush in to buying a camera, then I put my sensible hat on and thought it best to join a proper photography forum and get some advice from people in the know.

A friend of mine offered to sell me his Canon 1000d with 18-55 lens. I was about to buy it, then realised my local Currys store are doing an offer on the same camera/lens for £50 more than he wanted to sell it to me for. I have decided to buy new as then I get a years warranty etc... if anything was to go wrong.

Now comes my problem, I'm not sure what to buy. My friend has lent me his 1000d with 18-55 lens and I do get on very well with it (as well as a complete novice can anyway :D ), but I'm not sure if there's other cameras that I should be considering.

My budget is around £330-£350 (Currys want £350 for the 1000d kit). Any help would be very much appreciated.

My main photographic interest is cars. I am a lover of all things BMW. That is what the main bulk of my photos will be of. I am also a lover of fine food so I would like to be able to take nice shots of food. Other than that I'll be taking everyday photos (a nice building I see, A nice bird sat in a tree, A picturesque flower. That kind of thing).

Is the 1000d right for me? If not, what alternative do you suggest?

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to hearing any opinions you may have.

Gaz

P.S. Great forum you have here by the way. I've just spend the last 2 hours reading through the 'Street photography' thread.

Hi Gaz and welcome to the forum!

Despite what some people say about the 1000D it is a pretty capable entry level DSLR that sits nicely between the 400D and 450D sharing characteristics of both.

For your price range I doubt you will get anything else from the Canon range brand new so would be your only choice if Canon is what you like.
the let down of the 1000D is no spot metering (not a big deal) and its fps/buffer isn't very big, but unless you are doing action photography that really isn't an issue.

Do think about 2nd hand though as there are plenty reputable people out there offering quality 2nd hand gear (this place especially).
If you go 2nd hand you could stretch to a 450D.

Anyway that aside the 1000D is a great entry level consumer DSLR for those on a budget, I love mine and if you look at my flickr you will get a feel for what it can do.

I started off with the 1000D and was very happy with it. I learned a lot with it.
Last week I sold it after owning it for 6 months, and bought a 550D.

The 1000D is in your budget, would you consider a good secondhand outfit? Many good deals can be found on here, and you know it will have been looked after ;)

Many others with far more experience than me will come along soon I'm sure with excellent tips and advice for you!

Welcome the addictive world that is photography!!

1000D sounds good. There are two kit lenses sold by Canon, both 18-55mm, but the IS version is considerably better.

For flowers and stuff, you will need some form of close-up attachment (cheap) and for birds you will need a much longer lens (not so cheap).

But I would get just the basic camera/lens outfit first and have a go with that for a while, then add to the system when you're confident of exactly what you want to do and what you need and can afford. Posts your wish list on here in due course, for good advice that won't cost you a fortune. If you follow a saleman's advice, with what you have listed so far he'll relieve you of at least a grand!

i might be wrong but i seem to recall that the 1000D is only sold with the non IS version of the 18-55 lens ...........

i might be wrong but i seem to recall that the 1000D is only sold with the non IS version of the 18-55 lens ...........

When it was first introduced you could get it with the IS kit lens. Then they stopped that and only sold it with the non IS kit lens.
Now they do it with the IS lens again but you have to shop around for it.

I had a similar budget and I decided to go second hand and invest more into glass. Picked myself up a Canon 20D which is still a capable camera (although it does lack some modern features such as life view) for £160. I just couldn't get used to the feel of any entry level cameras, this is bigger (which is good since I have large ape hands :p) and has a better build quality being at prosumer level (I like the settings LCD on top too). Then I bought myself a brand new 50mm f/1.8 II for £70 from Kerso and managed to find second hand a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 (sharp example!) for £120. Set me back £350 in total and then I just bought a few bits and bobs such as a small bag, rocket blower and some third party batteries.

get yourself a second hand camera,you will be able to buy a far better camera for your money,look on the for sales on here,the guranttee is nice but a used camera from a good seller on here would mean the camera has been used and tried out and in working order.

Thaks for all the advice guys. I know I'd probably be better off buying a 2nd hand camera as I'll get more for my money, but I'm a sucker for brand new :bonk: I just like the idea of being the first to use it, and also I know that if anything were to go wrong then at least I've got some comeback.

From reading some of the replies in here, I think I should get the 1000d + 18-55 IS lens, then as I've just today been told how much bonus I am getting this year from work I think I will invest in a bigger lens too. I'm sure there'll be a thread made by me in a week or two asking which to go for :LOL:

I'm going to go up to Currys this weekend and have a talk with a salesman. I'm hoping as it's just before xmas they'll be able to throw in something to sweeten the deal. Perhaps a free SD card or something :) Hey, if you don't ask you don't get!

I will keep you all informed on what I do though. I was worried that you were all going to reply saying "Don't get that camera, they're terrible etc...." so I'm glad it's seen as a good amateur camera. After all, that's all I am. An amateur.

Thank you again for taking the time to give me advice. I'm sure you'll be seeing my face a lot more around these boards. I haven't even got the camera yet and I'm already playing with ideas for photos in my head!

I recently upgraded from a 1000D to a 50D. The 1000D was great initially, but about six months into ownership I found myself hankering after something with better/more features.

I got annoyed with the (relatively) slow continuous frame rate, wanted a camera with higher ISO capabilities, wanted more focus points, etc.

I'm not saying that you'll definitely find yourself in the same boat as me, but just offering my experience.

I recently upgraded from a 1000D to a 50D. The 1000D was great initially, but about six months into ownership I found myself hankering after something with better/more features.

I got annoyed with the (relatively) slow continuous frame rate, wanted a camera with higher ISO capabilities, wanted more focus points, etc.

I'm not saying that you'll definitely find yourself in the same boat as me, but just offering my experience.

I doubt the OP would get even a used 50D for his budget of ?330-?350!
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting he would. I was just explaining that I upgraded from a 1000D, so the OP knew that I was speaking from experience rather than using guesswork. My post was just explaining the shortcomings I felt with the 1000D after I'd owned it for a while, and wasn't a suggestion that he should get a 50D. :)

I wasn't suggesting he would. I was just explaining that I upgraded from a 1000D, so the OP knew that I was speaking from experience rather than using guesswork. My post was just explaining the shortcomings I felt with the 1000D after I'd owned it for a while, and wasn't a suggestion that he should get a 50D. :)

I take your point. (y)
________
karinASS

Last edited:
i went from a 1000D to a 450D to a 40D , i should have just gone from the 1000D to the 40D , not sure if anyone has mentioned the size of the 1000D , it really is quite small to hold ..........

I was in a similar situation this time last year, but decided to get a new lower spec camera and learn to use that properly first. I bought a 450D with kit lens and Canon cash-back. I have since added the 55-250 IS, which is a perfect combination for me at the moment.
________
SHIP SALE

Last edited:
The 1000D does sound like a good starting point, but for only £10 more the 450D from the Argos Outlet linked above would be my choice.

I'd agree with what Hoppy said earlier about holding off on any extra lenses for now. The 18-55 IS is a perfectly adequate general purpose lens. Get to grips with that first and you'll be surprised at what it can do - only look at investing in more once you find what the limitations of your kit are and you've identified the gaps that you need to fill.

Two things stopped me buying this.

1) Argos service (read lack of)
2) thoughts of a S/H 40D.

:)

Two things stopped me buying this.

1) Argos service (read lack of)
2) thoughts of a S/H 40D.

:)

Warranty would be with Canon so Argos would have nothing to do with repairs.

As for the 2nd hand 40D then I agree that it is a great camera but you know that it will cost over £400 for the 40D + a lens

i went from a 1000D to a 450D to a 40D , i should have just gone from the 1000D to the 40D , not sure if anyone has mentioned the size of the 1000D , it really is quite small to hold ..........

Don't forget the OP has already borrowed a 1000D and likes it! :)

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks everyone. There's some really good points and opinions in here and you've really got me thinking.

I may be able to increase my budget a bit. I went to the works xmas meal (in November!!) on Friday and they surprised us by telling us we're getting an xmas bonus this year. Normally I just fritter it away on bills and what not so I figured I should put some of this towards my camera budget. At lesat I'll have something to show for it then.

I'm happy to spend up to £500 now, preferably a little less but if the right camera comes up.

Argos outlet on eBay are selling a Canon 450d plus 18-55 IS lens for £359.99 including warranty. Link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-EOS-450...DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item4cf2fef7a0&afsrc=1

This looks good! That's a lot cheaper than anywhere else I had looked. I was a dubious of looking on ebay but as it's Argos I'm sure it's fine :) With my increased budget, would this still be a camera you would recommend?

Thanks for your thoughts. What you say about wanting more features in 6 months.....That is exactly what I'm worried about. I don't want to buy a cheaper camera now, and then end up selling it and buying a better one in a few months.

I bet the 50d's a nice camera :)

I've just upgraded from the 1000D - however it was a VERY nice camera for a beginner and I even published a book using photos taken with it. :)

Thanks for the reply. Congratulations on the book! What have you upgraded to out of interest?

Don't forget the OP has already borrowed a 1000D and likes it! :)

I do like the 1000d, but as it's the only real camera I've used I'm not sure how I feel about it compared to other cameras. I did notice it's quiet a light camera which I feel gives it a slightly 'fragile' feel to it.

Sorry to be a pain changing budet etc.. You know what it's like when you first start out in something. It's all a foreign language to me. Give it 6 months and I'll be looking back at this topic cringing at how clueless I was :LOL:

*Edit*:- I'm also not set on Canon. It's just the one I've been lent (the one my friend is trying to sell me) is a Canon, and from what I can see online they're regarded highly.

Last edited:
I think I've almost made my mind up with the 450d. Does anyone have any example shots of what they're capable of?

Thanks for the link Micloi. Unless anyone has any better suggestions I think I'm goign to order that one this afternoon. I'm really excited to finally own a proper camera for once! (I know compared to most cameras on here the 450d is like a disposable, but it's a proper camera for me :) )

I've just bought a Canon 450D with a Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 lens and I have been finding it great. I think it will be an excellent tool for you to use and learn photography with.

Thanks for the link Micloi. Unless anyone has any better suggestions I think I'm goign to order that one this afternoon. I'm really excited to finally own a proper camera for once! (I know compared to most cameras on here the 450d is like a disposable, but it's a proper camera for me :) )

It's a good deal on a very nice camera. Extra budget should go on glass as opposed to the body. I was going to suggest the 55-250 IS and then I saw this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....708982&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_2522wt_1139

:clap: :clap: :clap: Did you order it?
I hope you enjoy. As a fellow 450D user I confirm that it is a very nice camera and will be more than sufficient for what you want to start out with. In fact I've had mine 15 months and no thoughts of wanting to upgrade yet.

Not yet I haven't. I need to wait until the 25th (tomorrow) for my pay to go through :( Can't wait to though :)

Considering a 55-250mm IS in the shops new is around £200-250, that's a stonking deal! (y) I wish I saw that when I bought my camera about 3 weeks ago!!

Just thought id mention as i happened to be looking at these lens earlier you can get them online new from £140 although i suspect the high steet stores have them at £200+.

Nooooooo :crying:

I just went to order the 450d that was linked to on the first page and they're not selling it any more!

Back