Canon 1100D Owners Thread

Hi how ya doing. How long have you been doing photography? Do you belong to any clubs. Be nice to talk to some local people that are 'not up there with the big boys'

Very well thanks, You?
I have been doing Photography since Chrismas Day :)
The camera was a christmas present so certainly no where near the Big Boys.
I have done a lot of research into photography since getting the camera from online tutorials so feel I have an ok understanding of the fundementals I just need to put it all into practice now.
I do not belong to any clubs however that would interest me.
How about youself?

Very well thanks, You?
I have been doing Photography since Chrismas Day :)
The camera was a christmas present so certainly no where near the Big Boys.
I have done a lot of research into photography since getting the camera from online tutorials so feel I have an ok understanding of the fundementals I just need to put it all into practice now.
I do not belong to any clubs however that would interest me.
How about youself?

Been doing it for about a year but only had the 1100d for about 6 month's
Been to the chelmsford camera club. Went to listen to a talk on macro photography which was good but felt as though it was abit 'clicky' and wasn't to happy with wearing a name badge because I was new.

Been doing it for about a year but only had the 1100d for about 6 month's
Been to the chelmsford camera club. Went to listen to a talk on macro photography which was good but felt as though it was abit 'clicky' and wasn't to happy with wearing a name badge because I was new.

I had a look at local camera clubs but they all seem to be held on week days which isn't great for me. I really like Macro photography that is going to be my next purchase, probably not a lens yet but have seen a few attachments that have good feedback, I have a lens that is quite good for it but I have to be so close to the subject that its not a lot of cop for insects, unless there dead.
Do you have any images on here what kind of stuff do you like to shoot?

So finally got my Eos 1100d for Christmas and have been out and about a few times taking some photos lots and lots and found myself a little stuck. Lowlifedubber kindly sent me David busch 's book to read. After reading a few pages on the camera I decided to go out again and my picture's I think became better as first I found myself wondering.

Here are a few. Also I've been reading up on Adobe lightroom on editing.
I do have a fair bit to learn but all comments welcome.;)

IMG_0710 by dannywaugh1, on Flickr

IMG_0707 by dannywaugh1, on Flickr

IMG_0706 by dannywaugh1, on Flickr

IMG_0702 by dannywaugh1, on Flickr

IMG_0629 by dannywaugh1, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by dannywaugh1, on Flickr

one thing i do want to lean is how to take a picture maybe of a river with the water smooth looking.
Like this one: http://pcdn.500px.net/16314871/35aae435481d0d0a25cbe74e5cf7814e6054b69a/4.jpg

Hi Danny,
This is done with a long shutter speed on a tripod, How long I dont know as I havent tried it yet but would imagine 5 seconds or so, from what I have read on this you need to do one of the following...
1. Set you aperture as high as possable f22+
2. For it to be quite dark.
3. Use something called an ND filter which is a dark piece of glass attached to the lens.
I am off out at the weekend to try myself with the first two methods but I think the ND filters is the real way of doing/controlling it.
I havent been using a camera long so I am no expert but think thats how it is done.
Some nice images I like the berry!

Last edited:
Hi Danny,
This is done with a long shutter speed on a tripod, How long I dont know as I havent tried it yet but would imagine 5 seconds or so, from what I have read on this you need to do one of the following...
3. Use something called an ND filter which is a dark piece of glass attached to the lens.
I am off out at the weekend to try myself with the first two methods but I think the ND filters is the real way of doing/controlling it.
I havent been using a camera long so I am no expert but think thats how it is done.
Some nice images I like the berry![/QUOTE

I will try it also. May need to get a nd filter.

Hi Danny,
Some nice images I like the berry![/QUOTE

I will try it also. May need to get a nd filter.

Make sure to post the images up and let us know how it worked out. ND filters seem like the tool for the Job but I am sure their not a necessity.
Good Luck!

I had a look at local camera clubs but they all seem to be held on week days which isn't great for me. I really like Macro photography that is going to be my next purchase, probably not a lens yet but have seen a few attachments that have good feedback, I have a lens that is quite good for it but I have to be so close to the subject that its not a lot of cop for insects, unless there dead.
Do you have any images on here what kind of stuff do you like to shoot?

like to have a go at all sorts realy but at ht mo macro and light trails.

applemac_zps1da81710.jpg

IMG_1258_zps87364a30.jpg

IMG_1015_zpse534f035.jpg

appletopweb_zps0114183d.jpg

lighttrail3.jpg

like to have a go at all sorts realy but at ht mo macro and light trails.

lighttrail3.jpg

I love this shot. I may have a go myself on the way home tonight as I have just been given a tripod.
Do you use a macro lens?

I love this shot. I may have a go myself on the way home tonight as I have just been given a tripod.
Do you use a macro lens?

I have got quite a few light trail pics will put some more up. Just use a 18-55 lens with camera on tripod and using a remote trigger. Normally have the camera on manual with shutter speed on bulb at about f8-f10 try and keep the iso low aswell try not to go higher then 400.
Try and plan a good spot aswell

I have got quite a few light trail pics will put some more up. Just use a 18-55 lens with camera on tripod and using a remote trigger. Normally have the camera on manual with shutter speed on bulb at about f8-f10 try and keep the iso low aswell try not to go higher then 400.
Try and plan a good spot aswell

I am gonna try at the week end, the tripod I was given isnt very good as I have to screw the camera to it rather than it having a quick release bracket thingy.
Also sorry when I asked about the macro lens I ment for the macro shots you posted. Only because I am looking at lens tubes/adaptors ect.. and was wondering if you use a macro lens or tubes/adaptors.

I am gonna try at the week end, the tripod I was given isnt very good as I have to screw the camera to it rather than it having a quick release bracket thingy.
Also sorry when I asked about the macro lens I ment for the macro shots you posted. Only because I am looking at lens tubes/adaptors ect.. and was wondering if you use a macro lens or tubes/adaptors.

I would love to have a macro lens but can never really justify that sort of money! I just use macro rings although Iv got my eye on some polaroid auto rings on amazon at the mo. Need to be patient with the rings I find specially as you need to get pretty close. And I always struggle with the light, find my yongnuo flash helps alot though.

One from today, love the ice for pictures, although i dont love laying on tarmac roads. haha

cold1_zps31c1b2d2.jpg

cold1_Edit.jpg

Hi Dalegt4
I love this Image, the snow against the black road looks great.
I took it into Photoshop (hope you dont mind) for a quick edit to give it a bit of a contrast boost, and thought I would post the result back.
I am gonna be taking my camera out in the snow at the weekend, hope I get some shots like this, dont know about laying in the road though :)

Last edited:
I would love to have a macro lens but can never really justify that sort of money! I just use macro rings although Iv got my eye on some polaroid auto rings on amazon at the mo. Need to be patient with the rings I find specially as you need to get pretty close. And I always struggle with the light, find my yongnuo flash helps alot though.

I would love a macro lens too, One day maybe!
I am looking at the raynox dcr-250 & 150.
Theres a thread on here showing images taken with them (Link) so will try this out and maybe some lens reverse rings as they look like they provide some good results and they are nice and cheap.

Hi Dalegt4
I love this Image, the snow against the black road looks great.
I took it into Photoshop (hope you dont mind) for a quick edit to give it a bit of a contrast boost, and thought I would post the result back.
I am gonna be taking my camera out in the snow at the weekend, hope I get some shots like this, dont know about laying in the road though :)

Hey up there, not a problem, glad you like it!

Maybe visit our facebook page as there are plenty more Landscape and scenery images on there, we are updating slowly as we are pushing forward with wedding quotes and things so time for updating is slow. :confused:

But there are some good shots if i do say so on there that you may like.

I like the more tone you have added :)

Hope you got some as the snow has vanished totally here overnight!

Hey up there, not a problem, glad you like it!

Maybe visit our facebook page as there are plenty more Landscape and scenery images on there, we are updating slowly as we are pushing forward with wedding quotes and things so time for updating is slow. :confused:

But there are some good shots if i do say so on there that you may like.

I like the more tone you have added :)

Hope you got some as the snow has vanished totally here overnight!

I had a look at your facebook page, there are some great images. The deer jumping the fence are great.

I missed the snow completly :crying: I should have gone out on the saturday but I was nursing a hangover and thought I would go out on the sunday, but when I woke up it had all gone. I am kicking myself :bang:

I had a look at your facebook page, there are some great images. The deer jumping the fence are great.

I missed the snow completly :crying: I should have gone out on the saturday but I was nursing a hangover and thought I would go out on the sunday, but when I woke up it had all gone. I am kicking myself :bang:

Thanks for that, always nice to hear. :)

I did kind of cheat with the deer as they were taken on my 60D, I usually have the 500 on the 60D and the 50mm or the 18mm on the 1100D now.

Did you like the page? :) Like it and it bumps me up! :D haha (y)

hangovers are leaving me now as i got drunk for the first time in a while and i felt like death the next two days so no drink for me for a while! haha

Had my 1100D since around October not been out much been reading up lot of information, trying to not take too much in at once, got myself a Tripod about 3 weeks ago and did some light trials as well.

img1644g.jpg

Pretty impressed with this 1st picture probably had it exposed for bit too long.

Here's a landscape photo from around my area :)

Capturing that early morning red/pink in the sky :)

**Mod edit**
1024px on the longest side please

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken loads of pictures but most are rubbish!, however took this picture back in November on Remembrance Day, heading back to the car and turned round to see the sun setting behind the church. There's something about it that I like.

Probably needs cropping etc but as new to all of this haven't learnt how to do that properly

IMG_0063 by LFC383, on Flickr

Last edited:
thats alright that there . :)

All i would do is as you say, crop the bottom off so that the white building is gone, that of photoshop it out. :)

Hi everyone, another happy 1100d owner here (y)

I have the camera & the 18 - 55 kit lens, & now feel the urge to save up up for some more kit! I'm totally new to dslr, & am thoroughly enjoying myself with it although I feel like I have shedloads to learn.

Looking forward to swapping tips & successes with you all, in the meantime here are some pics I took last week...
Cheers,
T

8513044984_8a03536a3d_c.jpg
[/url] Folkestone Harbour Station by Tommy B61, on Flickr[/IMG]

8511995611_d3fb078499_c.jpg

8511983741_c4d980c59a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Did you do much pp or straight from the ccamera. Good colours on the sunset

Hi there, all shots that I take on the 1100 are straight out of camera JPEG images as I am used to the speed of the 60D so RAW isnt really an option on the 1100D unfortunately.

Use my 1100D alot though as its a hell of a camera so it goes everywhere with me along with the 60D.

But I think my settings on the 1100D in camera settings are around 5 or so on the saturation slide to counteract the fact of not processing the JPEG which might make a difference with the tone of the colour.

Hey guys dont let the thread die just ordered a 1100D myself hope to try it out in July when i get home will post up a shot ot two just to give you all a laugh at my skillz or lack of..

I've just bought an 1100D with the stock 18-55mm lens for my daughter as an entry level DSLR to do her A Level Photography with. I'm impressed with the look and feel of it for the price. I'm also giving her my older 55-200mm lens used when I had an APS film camera and a 50mm nifty fifty. I think that should do her well for the next two years.

I've just got the 1100d my very first SLR camera!

Had fun testing it out with the 18-55 kit lens in Dorset last week. Took photos on different settings to see what effect they had.

My first attempt at blurring the background. I knew you could do it and tried lots of settings with a handy wall to rest on. Not an exciting subject but good place to try it.

Old church yard by bearlypink, on Flickr

Last edited:
The only thing I did find last week in the glorious sunshine is that the AWB Doesn't work as well as it does on my little Canon Ixus 950. I don't know if its because I didn't have a hood on the lens or that it isn't the good on this model?

Hi guys
Wonder if anyone could assist me I have a canon 1100d and a sigma 120-400 f5.6. Is there a way of pairing the lens to the body in the setting to make the pics sharper. As my mate has the 7d and he set his up but I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about setting them up, just want to make sure I'm getting the best quality in my photos. We do a lot of wildlife shoots in the wild and it always in the 400mm range. Love this lens very good.

Hi.
New to the forum, 18 months with an 1100D. I've generally been using a Tamron 18-200 lens, but I'm looking to upgrade to a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens.
My preference for a lens with a wide range comes from my choice of subjects, mainly motorsport of railways, and hence not wanting to be continuously changing lenses in potentially dirty & dusty locations.

Anyhow, here are a few examples:

IMG_08501.JPG

IMG_3864-001.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

Last edited:
Hi guys
Wonder if anyone could assist me I have a canon 1100d and a sigma 120-400 f5.6. Is there a way of pairing the lens to the body in the setting to make the pics sharper. As my mate has the 7d and he set his up but I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about setting them up, just want to make sure I'm getting the best quality in my photos. We do a lot of wildlife shoots in the wild and it always in the 400mm range. Love this lens very good.

To this one no, the 1100D doesnt have focus adjustment, you can send the body and lens off to sigma and they can calibrate the lens to body

The only thing I did find last week in the glorious sunshine is that the AWB Doesn't work as well as it does on my little Canon Ixus 950. I don't know if its because I didn't have a hood on the lens or that it isn't the good on this model?

The AWB usually works great on the Canon models, never had a problem on the Mrs 1100D to be honest.

Back