Canon 1100D Owners Thread

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I've noticed that there isn't a thread for the 1100D even though there seem to a fair few newbies starting out with one.

Is it needed?

I will be picking one up today. Not my first camera but the reason I went for it is the lightweight as I only use a 50 1.8 which is also very lightweight.
I am confident it will do all and more than my very old 20D while being almost half the weight!

Those who already have them better post some images up, as is the thing with these threads.

Just the basic kit lens and an old fd 50mm 1.8 with eos adapter (only arrived today) its all good for a tenner :)

We'll have an official thread before you know it :D

The 18-55 kit lens is the non IS version. Is anyone selling an IS copy?

Last edited:
Incidently..where are you from Keith? I see we you're a fellow east midlander :)

The deer in Woolaton park are currently having babies if thats your thing :)

:wave::wave:and another 1100 owner here bought the kit from jessops and love it its my first dslr :):):)

I too brought the kit from jessops, since then I have added.. 50mm, 100mm Macro.

North Notts.

Not exactly sure what my thing is, but I do like stuff that doesn't move much for the time being so I can take my time getting it right.

Cool :) i'm in north notts right now, the beautiful Huthwaite ;)

Just bought an old FD 50mm 1.8 for six quid off eBay, it cost more for the eos adapter! For folks who can't afford a nifty fifty yet I can highly recommend it...plus all the manual focus/ f stop stuff is really helping me learn

Hi I am a 1100d user and love it! looks like we have all got the same kit :)
hi fifth wheel. :D

I'm another 1100d owner - I have the twin lens kit with the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses. Only had it about 3 months, but really getting into it! Need a prime lens - £6 on ebay is amazing! :)

I am new to dslr photography and will be getting my 1100D this week will post more when I start using. I have lenses with my slr can I use them on my dslr?

Hi Lee,
Before we can say with any certainty whether your old lenses will fit, we'll need to know the make(s) and model(s) of your camera and lenses. :)

Ive also got a 1100d

the kit im using lens wise is:

18-55mm
75-300mm

and my big gun i just got.

Sigma 150-500mm which is superb.

The camera can get some superb pictures, done a few jobs with it so far, pet portraits mainly and motorsport photos but sold a few wildlife pics.

This was from the other day using the big Sigma, missed the focus on the head slightly but just to show the crisp focus the camera can get look at the smooth and detail on the wings.

the picture was shot at 500mm, f/9 , iso320 @ 1/640

dragon2.jpg

so the saying goes, its not always the gear, but the ideas that count.

Quality camera at superb price... but a good lens goes a long way, the sigma makes 10x sharper images than the Canon lens provided

although they do get some good photos still..

IMG_4195.jpg

and one of the moon with the 300mm extended

205262_10150965450959677_2060519343_n.jpg

The 18-55mm

IMG_2301.jpg

Taken 8000 pics with mine now and think its a super camera although i am looking at buying a second unit as i cant be doing with swapping lens all the time

Last edited:
I've just purchased one of these for my daughter as her first DSLR, seems like I've made a good choice. I must admit I've been working in the dark trying to choose one.

I bought one for my daughter instead of a bridge camera she had wanted. I was so impressed with it, I went back and bought myself one. Great starter DSLR and plenty for me to learn.

heres a few more i took with the 500mm sigma,

awac2_zps457772e1.jpg

duck2_zps7df932b6.jpg

not my best but it was moving bloody quick!

dragon1_zpse720feaa.jpg

IMG_8190_zpsc1d51a45.jpg

IMG_8202_zps7c99c40e.jpg

Come on guys what photos do you all have?
What kit do you use for jobs etc?

I have a job next weekend after being asked to be the photographer for the sleaford Octoberfest which is pretty cool but slightly nerve racking as lots of drunk people, loud music and my camera gear, so looking forward but also slightly not! Haha

Mind you the dog i photographed above was a right pain, kept trying to attack the camera! Haha

I'm another 1100d owner. It's a decent little camera for the price :) I've currently only got the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250 canon lens. I have the 50mm f1.8 on its way also though :)

I'm still very much a noob with a dslr but have taken a couple of acceptable pictures with it :)

swas11 by cookie200sx, on Flickr

thornfalcon06 by cookie200sx, on Flickr

This is a little oof but I still like it

rex001 by cookie200sx, on Flickr

Cheers mate. My favorite is the one of the rat rod tbh. The other two have annoying little faults which bug me every time I look at them :(

yeah but every photo will have some flaw that the taker can see, its like cars, i used to do some car spraying too and even when others couldn't see it i could see slight imperfections that had happened which annoyed the hell out of me but didnt bother others.

One of the butterflies i did with the 500mm i missed the focus on where i wanted it but people seemed to love it eitherway.

Just shows this camera can take some superb photos in the right hands, only place it would be let down is the pixels for if we try print large images, hence my buying of a 60d too.

I got the 1100d last week for my first dslr and got the twin lens kit with the 18-55 and the 75-300 lens. So far i think it's an amazing camera, haven't had much of a chance to use it properly yet except for at party's but think it's really good.
Anyone got any tips on other equipment I should get for it is one of the 50mm f1.8 lens's a good choice??

Thanks

Peter

I got the 1100d last week for my first dslr and got the twin lens kit with the 18-55 and the 75-300 lens. So far i think it's an amazing camera, haven't had much of a chance to use it properly yet except for at party's but think it's really good.
Anyone got any tips on other equipment I should get for it is one of the 50mm f1.8 lens's a good choice??

Thanks

Peter

Hi there, what kind of photography do you like to take?

This will decide what lens you might want to purchase, i personally love wildlife and motorsports photography so i purchased a 150-500mm lens which i love, its a beast!!!

DSCN1580.jpg

Image quality is superb too.

One thing you will notice if you buy a lens is that the lens kitted with the camera are good, but limited compared to a proper lens, i found this with the difference in image quality.

If you are taking general photos and what not then the 300mm lens will be more than adequate for 95% of users for sure.

Absolutely cracking little camera this is.

no its perfect like, focus is very fast too.

Do you have a similar lens with problems?

Thanks

Peter
I would definitely recommend the 1.8 50mm I absolutely love it! And it's a bargain for the amazing pictures that you get with it

Back