Canon 1D Mark III Focusing Recommendations

• Thread starter Deleted member 88563
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88563

Just got a Canon 1D Mark III for shooting football and was wondering if anyone had any focusing recommendations?

I use AI Servo and focus using back button.

What custom functions and focus points should I be using to get the best results?

Have a word with kipax on here.

Tag him @KIPAX

What works for one person may not work well for someone else - personal preference, shooting style, so I'd recommend reading the manual and experimenting. Long established forums from around the time the 1D Mk III was introduced (summer 2007) may have relevent information, so some refined forum searches or google from mid 2007 to say mid 2010 should narrow down results.

Tag him @KIPAX

What works for one person may not work well for someone else - personal preference, shooting style, so I'd recommend reading the manual and experimenting. Long established forums from around the time the 1D Mk III was introduced (summer 2007) may have relevent information, so some refined forum searches or google from mid 2007 to say mid 2010 should narrow down results.

Yeah had a look online last few days, couldn't really understand it much tho.

I've still got a PDF guide issued by Canon for setting up the MkIII AF and associated custom functions.....drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it over to you.

Bob

Decided to send the mark iii back and maybe go for the mark iv.

Think the Mark IV is a big improvement on the III, like AF wise?

I debated about a 1D3 but found that I couldn't get on with the low-res screen, so didn't trust the camera as I couldn't be sure the camera had nailed the shot (it usually had). 1D4 was significantly better from that aspect with more MP as well - but I felt that a 7D Mk II was running it close.

I has more configuration modes to get your head around...

I debated about a 1D3 but found that I couldn't get on with the low-res screen, so didn't trust the camera as I couldn't be sure the camera had nailed the shot (it usually had). 1D4 was significantly better from that aspect with more MP as well - but I felt that a 7D Mk II was running it close.

I has more configuration modes to get your head around...
Yeah my main body is the 7D II, its great, think the 1D IV is cheaper to get than a second 7D II

1dmk4 miles better than the ill fated mk3 on so many levels..

am away on holiday at moment.. limited access :)

Yeah had a look online last few days, couldn't really understand it much tho.

i found the manual to be a complete waste of time......... every photogrpah question could be answered with go read the manual but most people find them daunting and you need a degree in photogrpahy to understand them :(

Hi Kipax.

I know its from last year.
But please can you tell me your focus set up on the 1dmk4-finding it really baffling.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Back