Canon 1D MK111 focus problems

Name
Paul Tomlinson
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone tell me if the problem with the 1D mk111 is still on going, i have heard that the problem is solved with the new batch of camera's that are being sold.

Is this so???

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong now in general, there may still be the odd rogue but it looks like it's been fixed. Mine was perfect right out of the box, even with the old firmware.

Mine was ok out of the box too, tweaked with microAF a bit but with the right settings tracking moving subjects with AI servo is on the money every frame.

Had mine for a few months now and I can tell you it's truly amazing. I have a 1DMKIN and 1DSMKII as well and I am thinking of selling both and getting 2 more 1DMKIII's. With the 1st shot I took, I was hooked, the AF is fantastic and I thought it was good on the other 2 cameras. Needs a bit of work for setting up, but Canon have a section on there site for setting the AF up for different situations. And you can store up to 10 preset AF and camera configurations on memory card and load them as you please.

My 1st shot with the 1DMKIII with a Canon 70-200 F2.8 L & 1.4 X Converter

Swan_fly.jpg

Rob Galbraith, the main instigator of the info on these alleged problems, is doing an update later in the month, on both the 1Ds 3 and the 1D3, that'll be interesting.....

George - I don't know why you call them alleged problems as canon have admitted them and stated the cause of the problem.

Mmmm, Mho, yes I agree they have, first the sub mirror fix then the software updates.
However, since the last software fix there has been a deafening silence, so It'll be interesting to see what comes out of the new tests. It seems some people have been, under certain circumstances, having problems, and others none, so who knows?

Isn't there supposed be a mark on the new cameras which have the fix - a dot or something?

There is a Blue Dot on the early fixed cameras and a Yellow dot on the newer ones apparently.

Have to say i dont have that many issues with mine :) any bad focus issues are purely me i think, cant keep up with subjects and keep them in the focus points lol

LOL @ Ian - that's a problem for all of us!

I'd seriously doubt there's anything wrong with them now. Canon have owned up and admitted their clanger - it's caused them a lot of embarrassment, and no doubt cost them sales as well, so they'd be crazy not to address the issues.

From the sound of all the rumours, they had 2 production plants for the Mk3, Cameras from one are fine, from the other they had faults, so it sounds like something wasnt aligned properly at the one plant, hence why about 50% of units early on had major issues.

Would agree with you CT, would certainly hope they have resolved the issues now. Would be interested to hear Rob Galbraith has to say after his recent round of tests.

I think this dot thing is a myth, no dots on my camera and it's fine.

only dots mine has are dust, already :(

There were two machine assembling mirror boxes side by side, which fed into one machine that fitted them. One of the two machines was a fraction of a mil out - hence the issue.

The hardware fix is a rubber stopper to stop the mirror moving further and the software fix is an unsharp mask technique like the old news prints days, enhancing the edge of the image to give a sharper impression. It applies this when the image is taken.

Finally, the ''sorted" cameras should have a white tippex style mark within the battery chamber.

Hope this helps.

No dot's in mine, I cant see Canon sticking dot's in all new 1DMKIII's.

Been waiting and nearly bought one a few times.. thinking maybe now is the time.. £2,400 seems a good price for a new latest version from a shop that lets you try them on site ..actual high street not online :)

Does anyone know cheaper?

My mistake, the post fix bodies have 1 or 2 white dots in the battery compartment, the bodies built since the fixes were made in house, have blue or yellow dots on the boxes somewhere. The Blue dots were stopped being put on in Feb as they were well after the affected range of bodies. Yellow dot means firmware 1.2.3 installed.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but did this problem affect the 1DS MKIII as well:shrug:

Not sure if this has been asked before, but did this problem affect the 1DS MKIII as well:shrug:

The problem came to light before the launch of the 1DSMK3 - while it was still in development, so I don't think so. I've heard nothing of any reported problems with it.

as CT has said the 1dsmk3 is not affected by this particular fault, but a fault of its own where the viewfinder is slightly out of alignment (only affects certain cameras), a quick trip to Canon sorted that out for me.

My mistake, the post fix bodies have 1 or 2 white dots in the battery compartment, the bodies built since the fixes were made in house, have blue or yellow dots on the boxes somewhere. The Blue dots were stopped being put on in Feb as they were well after the affected range of bodies. Yellow dot means firmware 1.2.3 installed.
No yellow dot on mine but it has 1.2.3 0n it.:shrug:

It didnt have the sub mirror box **** up the 1d had.

I wouldn't expect so, one being full frame and the other being 1.3x but they both had the same s/w issues.

I should be getting my new 1D MK111 Tuesday or Wednesday i will tell you if their are any yellow, blue or white dots on the camera or in the box.

Do i need to do any major adjustments to the camera before i can use it??

I should be getting my new 1D MK111 Tuesday or Wednesday i will tell you if their are any yellow, blue or white dots on the camera or in the box.

Do i need to do any major adjustments to the camera before i can use it??
Depends on what you shoot.;)

Go on the Canon site and look for the PDF, on setting up the 1DMKIII for different shooting conditions. You can then save these settings to a memory card and load them for each type of work you do.

Great PDF .. even has the mkII <> mkIII equivelants :) (is that spelt right?)

Back