Canon 1d MK111

If you're going to be helpful and useful again Mr IanC_UK then that leaves me with only one choice. :p

Be helpful as well. :D

Try here for an initial preview.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8738-8908

At the same site they also discuss some problems they had with the AF.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006

I was chatting to one of the official 'togs at the equestrian show I was at last last week and he was using one, very nice bit of kit it was too! He has had no problems with the AF although he had it heard the issues are just with the long lenses.

One thing he did mention was spare batteries - there are none, apparently none of the dealers including WE have got any and they don't have any expected dates for them.

Apparantly, wcavanagh had one about 4 weeks before they were released in this country from a relative at the Canon shop.

:cautious: :cautious: :cautious:

Why not not ask him? :naughty: :LOL:

Good point, well made :D

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I have seen the reviews linked in this thread, which have contrasting comments on the focusing issue. I was interested in other users reactions and thoughts on the camera. This months photography mags have some reviews and again they have contrasting views.
wcavanagh must be very lucky to get one so early.
Hackers comment on the spare battery situation is a very god comment and something that could very easily be overlooked, as I understand these batteries should run out before recharging them for best results, unlike those for the 20D 30D 5D etc. I actualy saw a MK111 in a shop this week, I was surprised they had one in stock, and on the day I don't take anything to buy one with. Still much better to wait reactions from other users.

..as I understand these batteries should run out before recharging them for best results, unlike those for the 20D 30D 5D etc.

I expect the situation will be the same as it is with the 1DMK2n. The charger which comes with the camera can charge two batteries, although it charges them sequentially. You get the options of either just charging the battery, or discharging it before charging commences, which considerably lengthens the process. Discharging a fully charged battery can take 8 hours, although I can't imagine why you'd want to do that. ;)

Apparently the brick battery from the 1Ds mk2 and 1d mk2n reach optimum performance when they're into their third charge cycle. As per CT's comment, it takes about 3 hours for a full charge, 8 for a full discharge and then 3 for another charge.

So, in as long as it takes a student to recharge his batteries you're into your second charge cycle and only have to press a button once (to commence discharge) in that entire process.

Given the life expectancy of 1,000 actuations on a single charge, you should, in theory and with proper planning, not need a second battery. I forked out £100 for a brick i rarely use (though it is nice to know its there if needed!)

I got 1Ds mk1 batteries from 7day, about 12 squid each. But I find the IS lenses drain the batteries quicker by a fair amount.

I got 1Ds mk1 batteries from 7day, about 12 squid each. But I find the IS lenses drain the batteries quicker by a fair amount.

Hi George - whilst i was happy to take the risk with the 30d and 5d batteries, i wasn't keen on putting a £12 battery in a £4,500 camera :(. I also had a BP511A copy fail a few months ago - just gave up the ghost after a year or so light use. :shrug:

Johnny, I've also had battery problems with not only the 7day ones, but also the original canon ones. Frankly, I can't see what damage a battery could do to a camera, other than perhaps leaking, which I agree would be disasterous, but I think, looking at the two, that the 7day is equally well built to the OEM one. But each to his own opinion!!
George

Johnny, I've also had battery problems with not only the 7day ones, but also the original canon ones. Frankly, I can't see what damage a battery could do to a camera, other than perhaps leaking, which I agree would be disasterous, but I think, looking at the two, that the 7day is equally well built to the OEM one. But each to his own opinion!!
George

Its a very fair point, and build quality is indeed identical in the large part. For me its more the internal electronics that cause concern - not an issue normally but when we're talking "brick" with "12v", i get worried.

Its a very fair point, and build quality is indeed identical in the large part. For me its more the internal electronics that cause concern - not an issue normally but when we're talking "brick" with "12v", i get worried.

I would also get worried...

Do you know how heavy a brick can be if you carry it all day at a wedding:LOL:

Johnny, I doubt very much if there are any internal electronics in the brick oops sorry!!- battery:LOL:, just a series of small rechargeable batteries connected to the external terminals.The electronic gubbins is all in the charger.
Anyway, if my 1Ds is b******d at any time, I'll be the first to let the forum know!!(y)

I would also get worried...

Do you know how heavy a brick can be if you carry it all day at a wedding:LOL:

Yeah - even heavier with a small kitten attached...........:shrug:

Johnny, I doubt very much if there are any internal electronics in the brick oops sorry!!- battery:LOL:, just a series of small rechargeable batteries connected to the external terminals.The electronic gubbins is all in the charger.
Anyway, if my 1Ds is b******d at any time, I'll be the first to let the forum know!!(y)

lol - electonics, chemistry, physics. All in the same bag for me. the Kuhne effect is once of my concerns - I'd be happier returning a damaged camera WITH the parochial battery to Canon ;). In all fairness, you get what you pay for. i dont believe for a minute that it costs £100 to manufacture the NP-E3, but i do believe per unit it's a lot more that £12 to ensure consisitent behaviours are maintained.

But - as you say, each to their own. Too much of a needless risk for me though

Back