Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

It was some digging around based on a similar scenario, George, of battery drain when the camera was switched off.....the problem only occurred with a specific lens fitted. I've not checked recent bodies to see if they still maintain the lens power at the contacts.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!!

Just checked a 1DxMkI and there is still power available to the lens when the main body switch is off.

If you tell me how you are doing it, Bob, I'll check the mk2.

Which pins is it?

George.

It's the ones at each end of the group of 5 to the right as you look at the mount. Be aware that the power is only there when the pins are depressed as they would be with a lens present.

OK it'll be a bit before I can check .......later in the week probably.

I just joined the club.... I picked mine up yesterday.

I debated for ages should I or shouldn't I ...

I got a very decent deal on a pair with spare batteries (1 each for me and the better 1/2)

Now I just need to find a bag that fits and an excuse to get out shooting :)

I just joined the club.... I picked mine up yesterday.

I debated for ages should I or shouldn't I ...

I got a very decent deal on a pair with spare batteries (1 each for me and the better 1/2)

Now I just need to find a bag that fits and an excuse to get out shooting :)

Yes there are deals to be had, especially if you are buying 2.

Enjoy!!

George.

Yes there are deals to be had, especially if you are buying 2.

Enjoy!!

George.

I was very pleased tbh tried lots of places and it was much better than most would offer

Calumet had them at £4800 with interest free + £375 off if you also bought a qualifying lens too

I sent mine to canon today so they can investigate the battery drain saga..

Well let us know what's happening when you get it back?

Doesn't seem to be a general problem as no one else here has reported the same thing, Jason.

Folks,

I wasn't sure where to post this as it covers image editing and hardware, but I think the 1DX MK II is the only camera using cfast so far so it felt reasonable to post here.

Tezz450D found this when she tried to use her new Cfast card for the first time. I just double checked and it is the same on mine.

When you plug in a cfast card to your computer, it thinks its a local disk, not a removable device.

This means LR will default to "add" rather than copy when you are adding them to your catalogue.

If your not paying attention, you could easily import your files, then format your card and not know you just potentially lost a bunch of files.

Just a heads up

Regardless of which card media I use I always copy and paste my files from the card onto my separate hard drive, and I mean a physically separate hd from my OS not just a partition and anything else plus then back that up to my external portable 4tb hd.
From there I then use the import in LR and choose 'other source' in the options to locate the folder.
This may not have the flow of the standard way but for me it means a secure safe way of ensuring the least chance of loosing files.

Regardless of which card media I use I always copy and paste my files from the card onto my separate hard drive, and I mean a physically separate hd from my OS not just a partition and anything else plus then back that up to my external portable 4tb hd.
From there I then use the import in LR and choose 'other source' in the options to locate the folder.
This may not have the flow of the standard way but for me it means a secure safe way of ensuring the least chance of loosing files.

That's pretty much what I do as well, Simon, and check them before formatting my card.

Does CFX 600 mean it's a slower write speed, Martin?

If you look at some of the others, they seem to be faster..

I don't shoot 4K video just standard shots so not sure I need the super fast write speeds, however:-

I see the read speed is rated at 515 similar to the Free Sandisk one we got with the give away.

But write is only 160 v 430 for the Sandisk one

Always read the details huh :)

Martin

Anyone got recommendations for a wireless shutter release?

George

Yongnuo RF-602

I can give you a set to try if you wish

Thanks, Jim, are you about tomorrow?......I can give you a call perhaps?

I have managed to set Custom Mode 1 but am unable to set different or in fact any settings for custom mode 2 or 3.
I have read the manual over and over plus searched for an answer but to no avail.
I shall phone Canon Europe tomorrow to see if they can answer but thought I'd ask here.
Given I have managed to input and register settings for CM1 any ideas what I may not be doing 2nd and 3rd time round.
It really does seem easy and as though I am missing nothing but then again?

Hello George re wireless shutter, I have used this now for sometime and now with the 1dx mkii and it works faultlessly everytime.
I have even had it in my closed fist inside a trouser pocket and it still works.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Shu...id=1480858909&sr=8-3&keywords=neewer+wireless
Dirt cheap too at the moment, I cannot recommend it enough seriously no need at all to get some expensive bit of kit, it sits in the hot shoe for no reason than it can but if you are using the hot shoe for a trigger for ofc then this is so light weight it can just dangle from the short cable or use an elastic band or blue tac to hold it somewhere.
The part connected to the camera via a short cable has two buttons one small which you hold for 3 seconds to turn off/on and a larger one you can use for taking a shot if you forgot the remote switch ie if you lost that you could still use this but you'd have to be next to the camera.
The remote part has a few functions even for such a cheap unit, single, continuous, 4 second and bulb modes.
I have the standard genuine Canon TC-80n3 which still works after 12 years plus but prefer this as it allows interaction with clients and they don't know when you're going to take a shot thus getting them to relax easier.

Back