Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Grey OK if UK importer thus UK reciept then canon have to honor the warranty

Grey OK if UK importer thus UK reciept then canon have to honor the warranty
Be aware, Tony, that Canon's CPS will not count 'grey' bodies when assessing your membership level (a recent change).

Bob

Be aware, Tony, that Canon's CPS will not count 'grey' bodies when assessing your membership level (a recent change).

Bob

Didnt know that.. already at top level and most of gear is grey :) Must be OK with existing stuff

Not sure I would sell a 1dx as not going to get much for mine.. they have been proper work horses ..so my cps level should stay same.

When people buy from UK sellers they could be buying grey imports.. when you buy you ahve no way of knowing where the seller buys his stock.. hence why canon honor warranty so long as uk reciept.. suprised the cps dont do same.

Didnt know that.. already at top level and most of gear is grey :) Must be OK with existing stuff

Not sure I would sell a 1dx as not going to get much for mine.. they have been proper work horses ..so my cps level should stay same.

When people buy from UK sellers they could be buying grey imports.. when you buy you ahve no way of knowing where the seller buys his stock.. hence why canon honor warranty so long as uk reciept.. suprised the cps dont do same.

My 5DSR is from a UK supplier but has a 'grey' serial number and it can't be registered.....the first time it's happened to me.

My 5DSR is from a UK supplier but has a 'grey' serial number and it can't be registered.....the first time it's happened to me.

Shame that :( Like I say existing stuff must be OK ..Best check UK then:) have my eye on two hardy used ones at 4.3k and 4.2k so may go that route

Tony, was going to start a conversation with you as I have some info that I don't want to put on the thread, dunno what to do!!

George.

I had the same trouble but spoke to the EOS magazine people who got it added to my account, Bob.

I had the same trouble but spoke to the EOS magazine people who got it added to my account, Bob.

I contacted my CPS rep, George, and he told me that it was their new policy. It's not an issue for me personally as the warranty is covered and my other gear maintains my platinum level but it could be an issue for someone on the cusp of the levels.

Last edited:
this might sound a daft question, but when i have my cards set to auto switch, which card does it record to first.

Unless there's been a change then it's the card specified for the image review.

With my 1dx shooting in soccerdome (indoor small pitches) I am using iso 25600 f2.8 and only getting 500 shutter.. How much better ISO or Shutter or Combo would a 1dx2 be? Anyone shot real world simmilar enviroment can compare..rather than simply going by the spec ?

PS wheres the best deals for a mkII that anyone has actually used as apposed to seen? ta :)

Call and ask for their best price...

Try LCE and other places as well as park and Wex etc..

Just picked one up from the boys at Calphoto in Drummond St London 4697. Tell them Irish Kev sent you from RedSquareImages.

OK so why does the shutter sound a lot clunkier than the 1dx ?

I thought mine are quieter, although it's 14v12 fps, but it's an entirely different shutter design I seem to recall.

Mines set on 12.. wills ee if sound diff on 14 ... deffo a clunkier sound to it though

One thing I didn't like with my original 1D-X was the oil splatter on the sensor... I sometimes shoot at narrow apertures - ND filters etc - and the sensor was always 'dirty'.

I'm beginning to think it's not cured on the mk2 - I'm getting a lot of gunk on my sensor - which is annoying having to remove all the dust spots in PP.

Has anyone else experienced a higher than usual amount of 'yuk' on their sensor?

Will be shooting a load of stuff in Africa soon, so will let you know but not noticed anything so far, but I tend to be shooting at wide open or near that, Chris.

Yeah my sensor gets pretty dirty, I clean it myself every couple of weeks, my 1Dx was the same just because of the high fps

How do we grab a still from a 4k video.. I only have MS moviemaker

Yeah my sensor gets pretty dirty, I clean it myself every couple of weeks, my 1Dx was the same just because of the high fps

Good - so I'm not the only one... Wish they'd sorted it out though...

erk ... will look online for a mnaual.. ta.. this hasnt come with one... should be easy to find... ta:)

have you or anyone used the anti flicker?

Cheers Bob .. downloaded and works a treat thanks..

What video mode is best for shootin sport and capturing largest files?

Just tried 4k 50 frames (thought it was 60?) and only does a couple of seconds.. I am guessing because of the card?

hmmm what card are folks using and how much ?

Last edited:
For stills I use either, but for video they recommend CFast.
Tony if you want to borrow a CFast, I could post a 64Ghz today but I'd need it back a week on Monday....any good?

George.

Cheers mate much appreciated.. I think I know enough with the video now not to need much testing as my intended use is limited anyway.... the playback at the 4k i did was jerky is that because i am not using a 4k system?

Anyone having trouble with yellowish skin tones?

I'm thinking of getting a 1dx mk2 for my trip to India in April, can anyone tell me how well it works with the 100-400mm mk2 lens with the mk3 1x4 converter.

Hi Trevor, it works pretty well, as I'm sure you know you have all focus points enabled at f8 however I'd say that the af isn't as quick as the bare lens, but it depends what you are shooting and the light......in good light it's pretty good but there is a bit more hunting in poor light.......the mk2's af is so good at anything other than f8 even with extenders that it's easy to criticise!

I use a 2x on my 400 DO with excellent results even for birds in flight, I'd suggest you try it out before you buy it just to make sure you are happy.

It's certainly streets ahead of any other body with that combo, however.

Are you going to one of the tiger reserves?....it'd be fine for relatively static subjects and the light is generally pretty good.

If I get a chance and you tell me what you are shooting, I can try and pop off a few shots this weekend if it's any help.

George.

Just did a few shots around the house, really no degradation in quality that I can ascertain looking at it on the camera, and af really good.

George

Thank you George

Yes going again to a tiger reserve on my second week it's my second trip there, last year I took a full frame and a crop body so I'm thinking this time going with 2 full frame cameras and was wondering if I would miss the 1x6 crop factor.

Trevor

Thank you George

Yes going again to a tiger reserve on my second week it's my second trip there, last year I took a full frame and a crop body so I'm thinking this time going with 2 full frame cameras and was wondering if I would miss the 1x6 crop factor.

Trevor

Well I think you'll have no problem with using a 1.4 on the 100-400, but of course I don't need to tell you about the dust problem, I try not to change lenses if possible and use an old pilow case of I have to!

Are you going to Bandhavgarh?....got a sloth bear last time I visited and they're anything but slothful!!

George.

Going to Ranthambhore and hoping to call in to the bird sanctuary at Bharatpur, yes took a few pillow cases with me last year.

Going to Ranthambhore and hoping to call in to the bird sanctuary at Bharatpur, yes took a few pillow cases with me last year.

Excellent, hope you enjoy it!!

Tried the ANTI FLICKER this morning... OMG! thats brilliant :)

Hi all
what make and speed of CF Cards are you using with your 1 DX ? any recommendations appreciated. thanks.

i was using my DX today on auto ISO and noticed that there is exposure compensation switched on and i could not find out how to turn it back to 0.Anyone got any ideas.

Is the on /off switch still set to lock?

i was using my DX today on auto ISO and noticed that there is exposure compensation switched on and i could not find out how to turn it back to 0.Anyone got any ideas.

Back