Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Just had a look, I never use Image Browser (I presume that's what you mean) to download images, however when I looked just now, no I couldn't find the card with that programme.

I just copy the files to my hard drive from the card, then import in to lightroom (although recently I've ben using OnOne photo raw to have a quick look).

I presume you have "show hard drives" enabled in "preferences" in finder?

George.

No, Image Capture, the app installed by default on all Macs. Doesn't really matter though just wondered if I'd missed something in it. I just user Finder now and copy files that way.

Image Capture does see CF cards ok, just not the cfast ones and seems to be quicker at transferring them for some reason.

I must be missing something, as above, I just connect the card reader (CFast) as I would a CF card reader and the card shows up straight away on my desktop.

Then you can work on the files!

George.

Well my replacement 1DX MKII turned into a brick again this weekend with less than 1000 shots on it.

Almost the same as the previous one i had problems with but this one wont turn on at all just the read light flashes when you insert the battery.

Thing a board has blown and the only thing in common was i was using it on a year old 500mm f4 MKII at the time which was what the other one strted playing up on.

Strange thing is my old 1DX and backup 7D MKII work fine with no problems on the lens.

Waiting for a reply now from Canon.

Not Happy.

Link to what it's now doing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukh033cwz4s6p8d/20170401_112415.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a2n5dy5mqiebhl/20170401_123054.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:
You are not having any luck, Glen, I shot over 12000 shots in the Mara last month and neither mk2 body missed a beat, any OOF shots were me not the cameras.

I'm delighted, especially with the 400 DO mk2 and 1.4 mk3 performance, indistinguishable from a prime lens, and even with the 2x (so I'm at f8) it's only slightly soft when pixel peeping, but for real world use it's a very light 800mm f8.

George.

You are not having any luck, Glen, I shot over 12000 shots in the Mara last month and neither mk2 body missed a beat, any OOF shots were me not the cameras.

I'm delighted, especially with the 400 DO mk2 and 1.4 mk3 performance, indistinguishable from a prime lens, and even with the 2x (so I'm at f8) it's only slightly soft when pixel peeping, but for real world use it's a very light 800mm f8.

George.

Think i may just have really bad luck or was a Nikon owner in a previous life!!!

Back to CPS tomorrow :-(

Possibly both???.....

Have my fingers crossed George that it's a faulty 500mm that is causing the problem I hope although can't understand why it would work on my old 1DX and 7D MKII.

Will say that CPS have been very helpful this time unlike my last dealings with them.

I watched your video.....great sound effects BTW....but it sure was dead.

I assume you'll get them to check the 500 at the same time although i can't see how that would affect it.

Seems extremely unfortunate what's happened, haven't heard of any other problems like this, although one of my bodies sometimes won't display images after I've taken them, which is a pain as I like to check the histogram in certain situations.

I have to do what you were doing i.e. remove the battery and reboot, then it's fine, but no telling when it might happen again.

It's happened to 2 of my last 3 series 1 bodies, and on one the whole mother board was replaced and it still didn't solve the problem, Glen.

Let us know what happens...

George.

I watched your video.....great sound effects BTW....but it sure was dead.

I assume you'll get them to check the 500 at the same time although i can't see how that would affect it.

Seems extremely unfortunate what's happened, haven't heard of any other problems like this, although one of my bodies sometimes won't display images after I've taken them, which is a pain as I like to check the histogram in certain situations.

I have to do what you were doing i.e. remove the battery and reboot, then it's fine, but no telling when it might happen again.

It's happened to 2 of my last 3 series 1 bodies, and on one the whole mother board was replaced and it still didn't solve the problem, Glen.

Let us know what happens...

George.

Had a very good and long chat with the supervisor of the repair centre today and explained that it worked ok the other day with the 300 f.8 MKII and 70-200 f2.8 MKII.

It has a different set of CF and Cfast cards in than my previous one so the only thing in common is the 500mm f4 MKII that may be shorting out or pulling to much current at certain times or it means the circuit board is weaker on the MKII over the MKi and 7D MKII.

My previous one as you know didnt completely fail but did have the mirror lock up and also the A/F become very unreliable so im hoping in some ways its the A/F motor or sytem but not looking forward to paying the repair bill if it is as its three months out of warranty now.

But haven't you had the problem (and reported it to Elstree) more than 3 months?.......Goodwill????

Has anyone had any issues using the older model lenses on the 1dx2 ? i.e. 500 f4 mk1 300 f1.8

I'm guessing that you mean the 300/2.8 in which case I haven't had any problems.....1 also use the 600/4.Mki and 200/2 without issues so far.

Bob

But haven't you had the problem (and reported it to Elstree) more than 3 months?.......Goodwill????

I did George but i only returned the camera for inspection not the lens,will see how i get on as they were very reasonable over the phone.

Dropped the second 1DX MKII to fail on me off at Elstree on Tuesday along with the 500mm MKII and received a call today to say that the power distribution board had blown and needed to be replaced.

They cant fault the 500mm MKII and just think it was bad luck that i received a second body with a fault but i guess only time will tell.

Hopefully can go and collect it tomorrow and try it out this weekend before my next BSB race weekend.

Dropped the second 1DX MKII to fail on me off at Elstree on Tuesday along with the 500mm MKII and received a call today to say that the power distribution board had blown and needed to be replaced.

They cant fault the 500mm MKII and just think it was bad luck that i received a second body with a fault but i guess only time will tell.

Hopefully can go and collect it tomorrow and try it out this weekend before my next BSB race weekend.

Fingers crossed, Glen....

Hope so buddy as the new camera is only 2 months old and it sounds like they have put more shots on it now than i have.

Well just back from Elstree and in all honesty not impressed with the customer service,didnt even get a call to tell me i could collect but thank god for the technician giving me a ring.

New Main circuit board fitted along with a Power distribution board so have everything crossed it lasts longer than 800 shots this time.

Well just back from Elstree and in all honesty not impressed with the customer service,didnt even get a call to tell me i could collect but thank god for the technician giving me a ring.

New Main circuit board fitted along with a Power distribution board so have everything crossed it lasts longer than 800 shots this time.
We await your results.......

We await your results.......

Most frustrating thing for me now is i know loads of people that have never had a problem with the MKII yet i just have no faith in it at all now. Really cant believe that my luck is that bad to get a brand new camera after all the problems with the last one and it fail within under 1000 shots and especially when i can take upto 3000 a day on raceday.

a bit off topic but can anyone explain this problem...I just got a 1dx mk2...and trying it next to a 5d mk3, I notice that under exactly the same settings and conditions..the 5dmk3 gives me twice the shutter speed than the 1dxmk2..using the same iso etc etc.....in AV...when I was expecting it to be the other way round....anyone explain please??

Last edited:
How do the respective histograms look, Andy?...and that's one stop..

Last edited:
I have a question fello owners....

I was shooting bird silhouettes on shinny water today with the sun almost opposite me and I was getting more out of focus shots than sharp ones.. don't get me wrong what I was trying to do wasn't easy.. Do your ever get oof shots.?

a bit off topic but can anyone explain this problem...I just got a 1dx mk2...and trying it next to a 5d mk3, I notice that under exactly the same settings and conditions..the 5dmk3 gives me twice the shutter speed than the 1dxmk2..using the same iso etc etc.....in AV...when I was expecting it to be the other way round....anyone explain please??

In theory the exposure parameters should be the same but then "safety shift" can kick in. Is it possible that you have safety selected as Tv on one body and Iso on the other?

It's also possible that your 1Dx is metering on the selected focus point....something which the 5D3 can't do.

Bob

Last edited:
it happens bob even if i'm using centre focus point , and iv'e got safety shift set to 'off'..i never use it

ok, just been down to canon hong kong..and tested their 1 dx mk2's and also the 5d mk4's...against ;their' 5dmk3's..and every time the 5d mk3 gave pretty much twice the shutter speed using all the same settings as the other 2 cameras. The guy there contacted his technical team, who said they knew nothing about this...so the referred it to canon japan to try and get some answers.We even checked the size of the metering point on each camera but they were also the same...so at this moment i'm feeling cheated...iv'e got less pixels in my frame and I have to up my iso's just to get the same shutter speeds as the 5d mk3...then i'm losing iq....and so I got a crazy fast camera..14fps..all at a 50th sec..using a 600mm lens???....Great!!!! ;( :(

ok, just been down to canon hong kong..and tested their 1 dx mk2's and also the 5d mk4's...against ;their' 5dmk3's..and every time the 5d mk3 gave pretty much twice the shutter speed using all the same settings as the other 2 cameras. The guy there contacted his technical team, who said they knew nothing about this...so the referred it to canon japan to try and get some answers.We even checked the size of the metering point on each camera but they were also the same...so at this moment i'm feeling cheated...iv'e got less pixels in my frame and I have to up my iso's just to get the same shutter speeds as the 5d mk3...then i'm losing iq....and so I got a crazy fast camera..14fps..all at a 50th sec..using a 600mm lens???....Great!!!! ;( :(

This actually might tie up with something that I mentioned to @George in a PM a while back. I shoot regularly in a local stadium at nght and I've found that the exposure settings I'm using are different from those that I had with my original 1Dx's. The floodlights are unchanged so there's unlikely to be any external influence but I'm consistently getting different results between the MkI and MkII. I don't have a 5D3 but I can test against my 5DSR or 1D4 and see if there's a noticeable difference.

Again, though, Bob, it would be interesting to see the 2 histograms and see how they compare?

George.
edit...and also you will remember, Bob, that we don't seem to feel the need for exposure comp in the mk2 whereas I was using +1/3 to +1 much more on the mk1 than I do on the mk2.

Last edited:
I have a question fello owners....

I was shooting bird silhouettes on shinny water today with the sun almost opposite me and I was getting more out of focus shots than sharp ones.. don't get me wrong what I was trying to do wasn't easy.. Do your ever get oof shots.?
That's a yes, No camera yet can get all shots in focus more so BIF IMHO the IDX mkII just gives a better chance than most .
Rob.

George, the histograms were pretty much identical..leaving the canon guy scratching his head.....I find it hard to believe that no ones put the two cameras side by side, and checked the shutter speeds

.......and also you will remember, Bob, that we don't seem to feel the need for exposure comp in the mk2 whereas I was using +1/3 to +1 much more on the mk1 than I do on the mk2.

I agree totally, George, but this would actually be the inverse of Andy's observations (with respect to the MKII's exposure)

Edit....
I've just tested the 1DxII against the 5DSR and the 5DSR meters 2/3 stop faster for the identical scene!

Last edited:
Back