Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

I agree totally, George, but this would actually be the inverse of Andy's observations (with respect to the MKII's exposure)

Edit....
I've just tested the 1DxII against the 5DSR and the 5DSR meters 2/3 stop faster for the identical scene!

Yup, Bob, that's correct of course, blame the Scottish weather!!!........all seems a bit strange....be interesting to see what Canon HK says...

canon hk probably won't even get back to me,..they have my email address but I leave hk tomorrow so I doubt it will get sorted..even though they are really nice folk in there..as I went in again today to play with the 'toys'..20 floors up overlooking hk island.
I actually tested their 5d4 against my 5d3 and my 1dx mk2..each time the 5d4 was 30% slower shutter speed against my mk3, and equal to my 1dx mk2...which is what I tested yesterday also.....lol

I actually tested their 5d4 against my 5d3 and my 1dx mk2..each time the 5d4 was 30% slower shutter speed against my mk3, and equal to my 1dx mk2...which is what I tested yesterday also.....lol
The 1DMkIV also meters 2/3 stop faster. I'm starting to suspect that this is a "shadow lifting" exercise and a non-linear gain is being applied to the latest generation of bodies..

Andy here's a thought,
a friend has just bought a 5d mk iv and asked myself to set a few things up on it, bbf, frame rate etc
testing I found it to have a slow fps approx 4 instead of the claimed 7 fps.
I adjusted loads of the jpeg settings to off, why when she shoots raw?
Remember that the display screen will show a jpeg and so even shooting in raw these jpeg settings still take place.
These setting do take a toll on the processor as they are happening whilst also recording the raw file.
I turned off things like highlight priority and also anything that you can post edit with a raw file.
The frame rate certainly is better now.
Give it a go you never know.

Another thing to check is that in menu 5 (2nd from left) C.Fn4:Drive
The continuous shooting speed is set to its max.
I can't remember what the default is set to but maybe its set not to shoot the max which when set shows as; High speed 14(16) shot/s
The brackets are for when using mirror lock up.
Below that are other options to set the shooting speed, Low, Silent HS/LS

I found when trying to use the CF function I couldn't use CF 2 & 3, George gave me the answer that it wasn't set to be available in the menu and maybe this is the same on your mkii that the speed in the menu is set to a low speed?

Low/high speed wouldn't affect the exposure settings though, nor would any of the jpeg settings.

yes, I'm not worried about the fps..i'm talking about the speed of the shutter..being much slower than the 5d mk3...with both cameras being set exactly the same

yes, I'm not worried about the fps..i'm talking about the speed of the shutter..being much slower than the 5d mk3...with both cameras being set exactly the same

Just to ask the stupid question... they are both set to the value for iso / shutter etc (ful stop, 1/2 stop, 1/3 stop) adjustment values?

On a completely different note. Has anyone experienced lenses not autofocusing every time? A friend of mine has been experiencing regular intermittent AF with a 100mm f2.8 L macro and, to a lesser extent, 400mm f5.6 L. It seemed to be with low contrast subjects. I was shooting the same target with my MkII and same lens with no problems.

We changed the 'Lens drive when AF impossible' from off to on and it worked every time with accurate AF.

Just to ask the stupid question... they are both set to the value for iso / shutter etc (ful stop, 1/2 stop, 1/3 stop) adjustment values?..
yes, both set to same iso's..and both in 1/3rd stops....
the guy in the canon centre said, 'it must be because it's a totally new sensor'....so does that mean that iso 800 on a 1dx mk2 is nothing like 800 on a 5d mk3?..in fact its like the same as 400 on a mk3....

Just to ask the stupid question... they are both set to the value for iso / shutter etc (ful stop, 1/2 stop, 1/3 stop) adjustment values?..
yes, both set to same iso's..and both in 1/3rd stops....
the guy in the canon centre said, 'it must be because it's a totally new sensor'....so does that mean that iso 800 on a 1dx mk2 is nothing like 800 on a 5d mk3?..in fact its like the same as 400 on a mk3....

The metering systems are completely different across the systems for sure

That would make sense. Have you compared the noise on each to make a rough comparison?

at 800 say..the noise is not great anyway..i was comparing the shutter speeds,... as with birds I wanna see feather detail..so I thought that iso levels had a bench mark...that gives a certain shutter speed for a certain iso ??...obviously differing as the f stop differs...no???

My other 1/2 is now going into Elstree. She has been struggling to get focus the last time or 2 she used the camera.

Yesterday we were at Lee valley shooting the Slalom folks, she was complaining they were not sharp, so I had a try.

300 2.8 II with 1dx II using AI servo and BBF.

It just wouldn't lock on and when it did the subject wasn't sharp. release and re press the back button and sometimes it would lock an other times you had to do it 2-3 times.

Between us we shot almost 200 shots trying different things and I would say over 95% of them were not sharp.

I was using the same setup and got 99% sharp.

She switched to a backup 7d2 with the same lens and got 99% sharp so it looks like its the body.

Any suggestions?

As you say, Martin, looks like the body.

Neither of mine have exhibited this kind of behaviour.

new topic;..can someone give me an email contact for canon in uk ...so that I can enquire about my iso/shutter speed issues??..thanks

THIS IS THE NEW ADDRESS

Canon UK Ltd
Service Centre
Unit 160, Centennial Park
Elstree Hill South
Borehamwood
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE

0208 731 4132

Last edited:
My other 1/2 is now going into Elstree. She has been struggling to get focus the last time or 2 she used the camera.

Yesterday we were at Lee valley shooting the Slalom folks, she was complaining they were not sharp, so I had a try.

300 2.8 II with 1dx II using AI servo and BBF.

It just wouldn't lock on and when it did the subject wasn't sharp. release and re press the back button and sometimes it would lock an other times you had to do it 2-3 times.

Between us we shot almost 200 shots trying different things and I would say over 95% of them were not sharp.

I was using the same setup and got 99% sharp.

She switched to a backup 7d2 with the same lens and got 99% sharp so it looks like its the body.

Any suggestions?

Any news?

Been a bit quiet on here recently, wondered how the various problems have been resolved?....especially Martin!

well George, mine went into canon service in hk yesterday..to see if theres an issue with my very soft/ blurry images...esp on feather detail..which are say..10m away using a 600mm +1.4 converter....if they say there's nowt wrong..then it would only ever get used on bird shots that never need a crop..which is hard using a full frame camera.....and I would be resorting to the 5d mk4 which shows 10x more detail than the 1dx mk2....not too chuffed really.....
on that point...any clues as to some settings that could sharpen/ give me more detail ??....it would be great if I could resolve the problem this way..as I love the feel and other points to this camera

I have edited the Canon Service Centre address above as it has changed. They moved to another unit across the road but the unit number and postcode has changed............as I found out yesterday. :rolleyes:

THIS IS THE NEW ADDRESS

Canon UK Ltd
Service Centre
Unit 160, Centennial Park
Elstree Hill South
Borehamwood
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE

0208 731 4132

well George, mine went into canon service in hk yesterday..to see if theres an issue with my very soft/ blurry images...esp on feather detail..which are say..10m away using a 600mm +1.4 converter....if they say there's nowt wrong..then it would only ever get used on bird shots that never need a crop..which is hard using a full frame camera.....and I would be resorting to the 5d mk4 which shows 10x more detail than the 1dx mk2....not too chuffed really.....
on that point...any clues as to some settings that could sharpen/ give me more detail ??....it would be great if I could resolve the problem this way..as I love the feel and other points to this camera

I assume you've done MFA and shoot in RAW and sharpen in pp....sorry if that's obvious but if that's the case then ok you've got more pixels in the 5D4, but I'd be surprised if you are getting ten times more detail......as I see it there must be some other factor at work and my thought is that it is an af issue....how about if you do some static tests with manual focusing on a test card?

You could then do the same tests with the 5D4 and see what difference you are getting.

I've not got a 600mm, however with the 400 DO and 1.4 I can't say I'm seeing anything like you are getting......perhaps others may have more input/suggestions?

George.

Been a bit quiet on here recently, wondered how the various problems have been resolved?....especially Martin!

All sorted....

All down to operator error.... (two of us missed it doh...)

Plus some useful free advice on af settings nothing related to the above LOL

Martin

All sorted....

All down to operator error.... (two of us missed it doh...)

Plus some useful free advice on af settings nothing related to the above LOL

Martin

Go on....tell us about the operator error....I promise I won't tell anyone else!!!:exit:

George

Go on....tell us about the operator error....I promise I won't tell anyone else!!!:exit:

George

Yeah slightly embarrassing tbh...

But two of us looked at it and both missed the same thing. I guess as neither of us ever use it that way, we never expected it to be set...

It looks like it had got switched from Ai Servo to 1 shot :oops: :$

Yeah slightly embarrassing tbh...

But two of us looked at it and both missed the same thing. I guess as neither of us ever use it that way, we never expected it to be set...

It looks like it had got switched from Ai Servo to 1 shot :oops: :$

Frankly, Martin, it would probably have fooled me as well as I never use 1 shot.......my best gaff was at New Year a couple of years ago, I was trying to get a shot of the aurora on the way to a party (me not the aurora!!) and everything was set up on the tripod, I'd pre focused at infinity, taped the lens up, changed to manual af, set exposure etc and when I released the shutter for about 20 secs, and looked at the screen...nothing.

It took me about 5 shots before I realised..ahem...that the lens cap was on!!

I blamed the fact that I was in a rush to get to the party, but could feel my ears getting more and more like a donkey's!!

You live and learn!!!

George.

On a completely different note. Has anyone experienced lenses not autofocusing every time? A friend of mine has been experiencing regular intermittent AF with a 100mm f2.8 L macro and, to a lesser extent, 400mm f5.6 L. It seemed to be with low contrast subjects. I was shooting the same target with my MkII and same lens with no problems.

We changed the 'Lens drive when AF impossible' from off to on and it worked every time with accurate AF.

Juts checked and mine is already ON

Shame thought that might be the answer.. Mine stops autofucusing for no apparent reason and no error messages given... sending it back next week :(

Juts checked and mine is already ON

Shame thought that might be the answer.. Mine stops autofucusing for no apparent reason and no error messages given... sending it back next week :(

I've had that a few times but only with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, had to turn the camera off and on a few times to get it to start working again.

What did Canon have to say when you sent yours in?

I've had that a few times but only with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, had to turn the camera off and on a few times to get it to start working again.

What did Canon have to say when you sent yours in?

I did more testing with my other bodies on the 400 and it would seem to be the lens at fault not the camera... lens going in on 19th

This was shot at the Inn on the Beach Hayling Island yesterday and no flash used, hand held at 1/20 sec f/9 iso 25600 AND it still auto focused at F/9!
I then checked what was on the back of the screen and compared it to what was in front of me and to see the colours, shadows lights etc were as exact as I could compare.
I did this to ensure that this was straight out of camera straight out of box no sharpening or noise reduction in LR nor PS.
This is the resized facebook version copied back to my PC to get rid of the serial number etc
1D X MK II 16-35 F/4 L at 16mm
View attachment 67093

Sorry to resurrect an old post but what's the food like at the inn on the beach?
I live just down the road but have never eaten there.

Just got myself one last Tuesday
Put it on my canon 500mm f4 and all good until my dogs were running around ( test shots ) and it would not focus at all ,all pics a blur and utter crap , put 24-105 on and pictures razor sharp if no movement , so thought it was lens put canon 1d mkiv on and pictures great , took camera back to the shop and they tested it same problem, swapped it for another 1dx mkii and I'm pleased to say mega , sharper than I could ever imagined, so a happy bunny ,
Have asked shop to tell me what was wrong with other one put nothing back yet .

I recently got one - still learning it but a phenomenal piece of kit.

Is there an easier way to change (as opposed to move) the AF point selection? Pressing the AF select button then M.fn (or wheel) is a bit cumbersome compared to simplicity of the lever by the joystick on the 7D2.

I couldn't see any info on here (though p15 of thread got close) or through Google search or manual.

Last edited:
I recently got one - still learning it but a phenomenal piece of kit.

Is there an easier way to change (as opposed to move) the AF point selection? Pressing the AF select button then M.fn (or wheel) is a bit cumbersome compared to simplicity of the lever by the joystick on the 7D2.

I couldn't see any info on here (though p15 of thread got close) or through Google search or manual.

HI John, glad you like the camera!!

Go to custom controls, scroll to last option on the RHS and this will give you the option to get direct AF point selection to off or on....and select "on"

That should do the trick!!

George.

Go to custom controls, scroll to last option on the RHS and this will give you the option to get direct AF point selection to off or on....and select "on"

George.

Did that work?

Did that work?

Hi George,

Thanks for the suggestion and follow-up.

Had a look and in custom controls and set joystick press to AF select but it didn't seem to change anything. I also checked out ~p450 in manual but wanted to look further before coming back to you and appearing to be a numpty!

George.

Perhaps I misread Johns post George but I think he wants to cycle through the AF arrays which normally involves pressing the AF selection button and using the m fn to cycle through.

The only other way ive found is by bring the af array with the options up on the rear screen and going through them but I find that more time consuming that the standard way.

On the 5D4 you've got the extra button near the joystick that can be used.

I don't know whether this would work for John but I use the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons with generally the same setttings but different af arrays and just switch from one to the other.

I guess it depends on how many of them he uses.

Perhaps I misread Johns post George but I think he wants to cycle through the AF arrays which normally involves pressing the AF selection button and using the m fn to cycle through.

Yep exactly - that is what I am trying to find a shortcut for - the 7D2 is just a lever tug to do this.

The only other way ive found is by bring the af array with the options up on the rear screen and going through them but I find that more time consuming that the standard way.

On the 5D4 you've got the extra button near the joystick that can be used.

I don't know whether this would work for John but I use the AF ON and AE LOCK buttons with generally the same setttings but different af arrays and just switch from one to the other.

I guess it depends on how many of them he uses.

Agree that rear screen would be slower than AF/M.Fn but will try the AF ON & AE Lock customisation Gaz - thanks.

OK well as long as it's sorted, sorry I misunderstood the original question but I don't have either a 7D2 or a 5D4.....I use the "C1,2,3" options and have different af area selection set ups in these, I suppose I've just got used to the way I shoot and it doesn't really bother me.

It is a pity, however, that the mk2 doesn't have more customisable buttons however.

George.

I know it's possible to get approx shutter count from the menu but the appropriately named 'ShutterCount' app on the Apple App Store now supports exact count for the 1D X Mk II.

No affiliation - just a customer of the app.

John.

Last edited:
Hello all:

I could use some help.
I'm having a problem with my 1dx mk2.
As an example, I have the shutter speed set to high (circa 14fps) ai-servo focus, iso 640. Over a burst period of about 1 second the fps sounds about right.
If I then change the iso to say, 51200, and change nothing else, the fps drops to what I would say is 8 to 10.

ALL in camera processing is disabled and I am shooting raw to a cfast card.

Can I ask others to try this so I can establish if there is a fault with my camera.

My thanks in advance.

If I then change the iso to say, 51200, and change nothing else, the fps drops to what I would say is 8 to 10.

don't take this as the expert answer.. but isn't this the same for any camera.. Look at the file size between the iso 640 and the iso 51200 for the first clue.. frame rate always slows down on all the cameras i have when higher iso ..so my answer without being technical is........what your seeing is normal :)

Back