Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Anyone got an issue like this:-

"Hi all, I have Canon 1DX Mark 2, I have a small issue where when both cards are installed in the camera (CF and Cfast) and I am recording RAW to just one of them lightroom 6.6.1 import shows two of each image on the one card? If you remove the second card and import again it only shows one? Checking the cards on other systems shows only the one image as it should? Seems that LR duplicates the image (same filename etc) when both cards are installed, does not seem to matter what card as default it always shows duplicates when two cards are installed in the camera."

Mac OS 10.11.6
1DX Mk2 firmware 1.1.2
LR 6.6.1

Anyone have the same camera want to test, thing is I only just got the Cfast card as part of the offer so would never have known prior to running both cards.

Last edited:
Anyone got an issue like this:-

"Hi all, I have Canon 1DX Mark 2, I have a small issue where when both cards are installed in the camera (CF and Cfast) and I am recording RAW to just one of them lightroom 6.6.1 import shows two of each image on the one card? If you remove the second card and import again it only shows one? Checking the cards on other systems shows only the one image as it should? Seems that LR duplicates the image (same filename etc) when both cards are installed, does not seem to matter what card as default it always shows duplicates when two cards are installed in the camera."

Mac OS 10.11.6
1DX Mk2 firmware 1.1.2
LR 6.6.1

Anyone have the same camera want to test, thing is I only just got the Cfast card as part of the offer so would never have known prior to running both cards.

Are you having this problem, Arthur, or is this someone else?

I can try and replicate this if you want.

George.

Are you having this problem, Arthur, or is this someone else?

I can try and replicate this if you want.

George.

Yes me George, sorry was a lazy cut and paste from the LR forum, easy to do just have two cards in camera, take an image to a single card and go to import in LR via USB cable to camera, it should show two of the same name with two cards inserted in the camera however only one image recorded. Thanks George your a gent.

Yes me George, sorry was a lazy cut and paste from the LR forum, easy to do just have two cards in camera, take an image to a single card and go to import in LR via USB cable to camera, it should show two of the same name with two cards inserted in the camera however only one image recorded. Thanks George your a gent.

Have you tried the import via a card reader, Arthur?....that's how I do all mine!!

Have you tried the import via a card reader, Arthur?....that's how I do all mine!!

Normally I'd do just that, but of late I seem to find it convenient to just hook up the USB cable and leave the camera in its bag etc, tbh its a new thing doing it this way but I feel it's better wear and tear wise rather than keep pulling cards, speedwise it's no issue so I just let it get on with it, if I open DPP/Canon while connected USB it shows only one image, also you can open the CF and Cfast and it shows the correct data i.e 1 image on the CF for example, still hooked up USB and open lightroom and it shows two images the same, you can select "don't import duplicates" and it will only import one of them, but later on IF I wanted to use as intended I'd not be able to use that option... Just odd how LR seems to see two images when both cards are in camera, my guess is most are doing as you are and as I used to and just using card readers. :)

Last edited:
Normally I'd do just that, but of late I seem to find it convenient to just hook up the USB cable and leave the camera in its bag etc, tbh its a new thing doing it this way but I feel it's better wear and tear wise rather than keep pulling cards, speedwise it's no issue so I just let it get on with it, if I open DPP/Canon while connected USB it shows only one image, also you can open the CF and Cfast and it shows the correct data i.e 1 image on the CF for example, still hooked up USB and open lightroom and it shows two images the same, you can select "don't import duplicates" and it will only import one of them, but later on IF I wanted to use as intended I'd not be able to use that option... Just odd how LR seems to see two images when both cards are in camera, my guess is most are doing as you are and as I used to and just using card readers. :)

Yup, I suspect that's the case, Arthur, the only time I hooked up the body was before CC and LR had updates and I didn't have my card reader with me, but I didn't import any in to LR I just played with them in DPP.

Yup, I suspect that's the case, Arthur, the only time I hooked up the body was before CC and LR had updates and I didn't have my card reader with me, but I didn't import any in to LR I just played with them in DPP.

Thanks again, guess I should have started my own thread rather than trash this one, if the mods feel like reposting please do, I did ask the Q on CR and LR but no one has replied, just be nice if it does the same elsewhere, must be a 1DX2 + LR6 bug as it works fine with the 5D3, will just have to check "duplicates" or use the reader, I am a fan of the reader for speed and used to copy them outside of any image editing package as best to keep filesystem organised but guess I have just got lazy with it, anyhow it should work, thats updates and new hardware for you!

Yes, Arthur, both of mine do exactly the same (although I had to uncheck the "do not import suspected duplicates" box).

Dunno why it's seeing 2 identical files!!

Yes, Arthur, both of mine do exactly the same (although I had to uncheck the "do not import suspected duplicates" box).

Dunno why it's seeing 2 identical files!!

Thanks George your a star, thats all I wanted to know, sure (MAYBE) it will be fixed in an update, it's an odd one hay, seems that with two cards installed LR6.6 sees a duplicate of the files, could become confusing if both cards have a load of images on! Just a shame to have to use a two part process as part of my workflow (or use card readers, one for CF and one for Cfast, more stuff to lug around!), i.e import one way, then import into LR again, as I say I have become lazy in that I let LR place the images into dated folders, export my edits into sub folders and job done. Oh well.. thats new tech! What cheeses me off is you pay 100+ quid for LR6 given 5.5 does not support the 1DX2 and no one at Adobe will support the product!

EDIT: talking rubbish re added workflow, only issue is having to use card reader to import rather than USB to camera.

Last edited:
Thanks George your a star, thats all I wanted to know, sure (MAYBE) it will be fixed in an update, it's an odd one hay, seems that with two cards installed LR6.6 sees a duplicate of the files, could become confusing if both cards have a load of images on! Just a shame to have to use a two part process as part of my workflow (or use card readers, one for CF and one for Cfast, more stuff to lug around!), i.e import one way, then import into LR again, as I say I have become lazy in that I let LR place the images into dated folders, export my edits into sub folders and job done. Oh well.. thats new tech! What cheeses me off is you pay 100+ quid for LR6 given 5.5 does not support the 1DX2 and no one at Adobe will support the product!

Yup, they don't give a toot!!...at least you know it's not you!!

I'm still blown away by the AF performance, it's worth the upgrade for that alone.

Yup, they don't give a toot!!...at least you know it's not you!!

I'm still blown away by the AF performance, it's worth the upgrade for that alone.

Yes camera is awesome!! Love it! Perhaps a fraction lower MP if pixel peeeeeeping hard from other bodies like 5D3/5D4/5DSr but the speed is out of this world! I went back to my 5D3 this week and just seems so SLOW all round, used to feel slick!

Yes camera is awesome!! Love it! Perhaps a fraction lower MP if pixel peeeeeeping hard from other bodies like 5D3/5D4/5DSr but the speed is out of this world! I went back to my 5D3 this week and just seems so SLOW all round, used to feel slick!

I was planning to use my mk1 as a backup, but I kept changing lenses to just use the mk2, so decided there was nothing for it but to upgrade...never had 2 bodies the same before, but it's so convenient.

I was planning to use my mk1 as a backup, but I kept changing lenses to just use the mk2, so decided there was nothing for it but to upgrade...never had 2 bodies the same before, but it's so convenient.

I fancy moving on my 5D3 for a Mk4 but tbh I don't think I'd use it with the 1DX2. Think I will just stick with this for now, it's not like the 5D3 does not make a good backup! Many would love a 5D3 on its own, it is also a superb camera! Getting used to 14fps by "tapping" has proven a challenge in itself, in other words 14fps in short bursts not easy!

I fancy moving on my 5D3 for a Mk4 but tbh I don't think I'd use it with the 1DX2. Think I will just stick with this for now, it's not like the 5D3 does not make a good backup! Many would love a 5D3 on its own, it is also a superb camera! Getting used to 14fps by "tapping" has proven a challenge in itself, in other words 14fps in short bursts not easy!

It's called "technique!!!".....I just generally take 2 however!!:):)

Please help I'm going crazy trying to upload firmware to new camera but somewhere along the line I'm missing something :help:
First of all I've removed both cards and used a old sandisk 8gb for the upload
formatted the 8gb card in the camera
next placed that card into a card reader and installed in usb port on laptop
next gone on Canon website for firmware update and website recognises my laptop / windows 10 (64-bit )
downloaded 1dx2-v112-win ( takes about 1 minute )
then view file double click to open and then send to eos _digital (f)
small progress screen appears then appears to load up memory card as led on card reader flashes
place this card into camera , go into menu under firmware press ok and screen on back of camera says memory card containing firmware is required to update , press OK and nothing yet if I look at propertys of card it appears there is 40mb of info on there!
done above procedure about 20 times!! can anyone see what I'm doing wrong :(

The firmware usually comes in a zipped file, you need to unzip the contents before transferring to the CF card

The firmware usually comes in a zipped file, you need to unzip the contents before transferring to the CF card
?? I can see a zipped folder but it will only allow me to send this to my memory, if I open it it only shows pdf instructions and as above card appears to have 40mb of info on it which is the same size as the firmware

Last edited:
If you are on a mac, I can talk you through it...if windows, I'll leave it to another!!

There should be a .fir file when you unzip, I think which you put in to the root of your CF card.

If you are on a mac, I can talk you through it...if windows, I'll leave it to another!!

There should be a .fir file when you unzip, I think which you put in to the root of your CF card.
Thanks George you would have thought I would have remembered from my 1dx days, yes I'm on windows so it looks like another night in bed trying to remember where I've gone wrong

If you right click on the zipped folder and select extract all it will then extract the files that you can then put on the card.

If you right click on the zipped folder and select extract all it will then extract the files that you can then put on the card.
Thanks Neil somehow I seem to have muddled my way through it although I've had that many goes at it not sure how I've done it , doing 102 now , will try the latest version tomw night , deffo off to bed now

I was having a bit of fun the day before yesterday in poor light just to see what the high iso was like, and as pigeons seem to be in vogue these days, I included one.

Pigeon 1 resize.jpg

Approx 100%crop

Pigeon 1 crop resize.jpg

1/1600 sec 800mm f8 (400 DO mk2+2x extender) iso 25600.

Pheasant.JPG

And with >100% crop
Pheasant crop.JPG

again 800mm lens as before, 1/400 f8 iso 25600.

No post processing done, all hand held.

Not a speed I'd choose to use, obviously, but I was fairly surprised at the results.

George.

FoCal is now out for 5D4 (it's been out for the 1Dx mk2 for a bit now), but it isn't working with Mac's new OS, Sierra, so if you want to use it, don't upgrade your Mac software yet...they say there will be an update again soon.

George.

A78I8213.jpg

Finally got mine - and pleased to report it works in the rain with no issues at all :)

Finally got round to updating the firmware to 1.1.2. Up to now I've never used the CFAST card in it. Also downloaded the Sandisk utility for refreshing the card. Gave the card a quick test. That's a serious write speed compared to a CF card. Will get a couple more when the price drops a bit.

Last edited:
Looks like another high ISO shot, Chris?......

I think this was ISO 8000 yes.... the noise is somewhat hidden by the heavy rain :) but for the circumstances (midnight - street lighting and emergency vehicle lighting only) I think it coped well, and gave me a shutter speed that was pretty decent.

I think this was ISO 8000 yes.... the noise is somewhat hidden by the heavy rain :) but for the circumstances (midnight - street lighting and emergency vehicle lighting only) I think it coped well, and gave me a shutter speed that was pretty decent.

....as did I with the pigeon and pheasant above!

I downloaded Sandisk's CFast card refresh software, but it won't run - each time I try it says that it needs Administrator privileges. My account in Win10 is an admin account. Any ideas? Thanks.

Works fine on Mac OS.... do you have access to a Mac?

I downloaded Sandisk's CFast card refresh software, but it won't run - each time I try it says that it needs Administrator privileges. My account in Win10 is an admin account. Any ideas? Thanks.
Have you right clicked and run as administrator?

Hi George - my son has one so, if Harry's solutions doesn't work I'll try that. Thanks for replying.

Mark, one small thing, I haven't tried it since I upgraded to Mac OS Sierra, but it worked on Yosemite and unfortunately I can't check it just now as i've just had major ankle surgery...sorry....

Back