Canon 1DsMk2 - Considering Purchase of

Had another chance to test it out yesterday, Id say in ideal conditions (outdoors, great light etc)
Tracking slow moving (walking pace) coming towards the camera

Top right outer FP

full.jpg

crop.jpg

Bit better :)

[YOUTUBE]?v=paJqHPHLExo[/YOUTUBE]

In seriousness, half the 5D AF woes are because people don't realise the contrast/colour aspect Raymond mentioned, and don't know that line sensors are accurate, but you have to give them the right orientation of detail. The other half are because it isn't as good as the 1D.

And another

Garstang-Fun-Day-095.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I do always focus on areas with contrast between dark and light, not colour contrast.

As you can see from these two last examples, plenty of contrast for the AF system to pick up on...yet it hasnt.
Shooting with a 135L (ultra fast AF lens) - at around 1/5000th of a second - so no motion blur either

Any ideas?

Last edited:
And another

As you can see from these two last examples, plenty of contrast for the AF system to pick up on...yet it hasnt.
Shooting with a 135L (ultra fast AF lens) - at around 1/5000th of a second - so no motion blur either

Any ideas?

Moving subjects towards the camera are too difficult for XXXD, XXD and 5d1-2 models, particularly with the outer points. Still or nearly still should give at least 30-50% pin sharp, that was my experience. As discussed AI-Servo is too basic, and one shot has no chance of being in focus by the time camera did the job and your subject walk a bit nearer. 1D/Ds/7D/5DIII will eat that as a piece of cake though. You need to track your subject for at least 1-2s before if the movement for best results, although that didn't help with 40D.

And another

Garstang-Fun-Day-095.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I do always focus on areas with contrast between dark and light, not colour contrast.

Any ideas?

it seems as though these images were taken before the camera had a chance to focus or finish focussing. Are you focus+shooting all from the front button and if so, making sure you half press to engage the focus and then fully press to take the shot? Take a look using the back button to focus, it's a real game changer

Just to re-raise a point I made the other day, but wouldn't mind some more input on...

The 1DsMk2 outer (non-cross type) focus points vs the outer (non-cross) focus points of the 5Ds - both are non-cross type, so why is the 1D better?

I notice that in the 1Dsmk3 they made the outer focus points cross-type - but the 1Ds3 and 5D3 are so similarly priced that if I was going for a 1Ds3 then I'd just get a 5D3...

So really just after any input on the usefulness of focus accuracy of the outer points on the 1Ds2?

Thank you

Just to re-raise a point I made the other day, but wouldn't mind some more input on...

The 1DsMk2 outer (non-cross type) focus points vs the outer (non-cross) focus points of the 5Ds - both are non-cross type, so why is the 1D better?

I notice that in the 1Dsmk3 they made the outer focus points cross-type - but the 1Ds3 and 5D3 are so similarly priced that if I was going for a 1Ds3 then I'd just get a 5D3...

So really just after any input on the usefulness of focus accuracy of the outer points on the 1Ds2?

Thank you

Please read thread. Plenty has been said about it, other than I would suggest trying one out.

Btw 5DIII is nearly 3k, 1DsIII is now under 2k last time I looked on ebay. Give it more time and it should be 1.3k or less

Please read thread. Plenty has been said about it, other than I would suggest trying one out.

Btw 5DIII is nearly 3k, 1DsIII is now under 2k last time I looked on ebay. Give it more time and it should be 1.3k or less

Lol, I know plenty has been said, but I am still concerned about the fact they aren't cross-type (maybe I am worrying about nothing?)

The spacing of the focus points on the 1Ds3 looks a lot more logical in my opinion, in that the cross-type points are all the way around the edges - whereas on the 1Ds2 they are all clustered in the middle.

As my 5Ds also dont have cross-type points on the edges, I am worried that the edge AF performance will be the same?

I am basing my prices on grey imports for the 5D3.

5D3 = £2400 (new)
1Ds3 = £2200 (2nd hand)
1Ds2 = £900 (2nd hand)

If youre looking for 1DS3 performance youre going to have to cough up.

If youre looking for 1DS3 performance youre going to have to cough up.

I agree.. but what Im asking is if the cross-type outer sensors of the 1Ds2 are going to be any better or different, than those of the 5Dmk2?

Both are non-cross type, does that mean their speed and accuracy is the same?

I agree.. but what Im asking is if the cross-type outer sensors of the 1Ds2 are going to be any better or different, than those of the 5Dmk2?

I have not had a single issue with 1DsII or 1DIII AF, but it was disaster with 40D and 30D.

I am afraid only canon can give a technical explanation, but they will most likely simply point towards 5D III.

Thank you for that :)
Technically, the 1D3 should be far superior to the 1Ds2 AF - seeing as how you have both, could you give any comparison between them?

1D3 has 19 cross type vs 7
Digic 3 processor for the AF vs Digic 2

Also the outer points are cross on the 1D3, whereas not cross on the 1Ds2 - can you tell much difference?

Thank you so much for helping, this is really helpful and exactly what I am trying to find out

futureal33 said:

The type of AF point will dictate how receptive it will be to areas of contrast when focussing. Whilst cross types are more sensitive and require less contrast for focussing, there is still a whole lot of maths and a focus system that is used in the focussing process. My own experience has shown that the 1DsMKII has a superier focus system regardless.

Moving subjects towards the camera are too difficult for XXXD, XXD and 5d1-2 models, particularly with the outer points. Still or nearly still should give at least 30-50% pin sharp, that was my experience. As discussed AI-Servo is too basic, and one shot has no chance of being in focus by the time camera did the job and your subject walk a bit nearer. 1D/Ds/7D/5DIII will eat that as a piece of cake though. You need to track your subject for at least 1-2s before if the movement for best results, although that didn't help with 40D.

Would you not suggest using AI Servo on a 7D for subject moving towards the camera then? Or perhaps using zone AF or point expansion?

Last edited:
Just processing this set.

Bride walking down the aisle towards me.

5Dii+85L @ F/1.2, 1/80th, ISO 250, "top right" focus point and I think it was One Shot.

@ 100%

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7106/screenshot20120617at013.png

Yes, I am cursing at that guy with a stupid camera too. :bang:

This is an old photo but i am quite impressed with this still to this day.

Last edited:
Back