Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Edit My Images
No
Has anyone on here got one or used one yet? I have a demo unit coming my way next week. I would appreciate if any sports photographers on here could comment on it.
Failing that if anyone else has any experience it would be most welcome

Has anyone on here got one or used one yet? I have a demo unit coming my way next week. I would appreciate if any sports photographers on here could comment on it.
Failing that if anyone else has any experience it would be most welcome

Kev (I think it's orish ;)mapologies if not.

Ivan in the other thread has a production body and also tested per production units for a week or so.

A couple of other guys in the dx thread ran some test but the images needed to be removed due to canons ore launch policies.

Btw if you or Andrew are after a 300 is or 500 f4 Jacobs in Leicester have one of each ;)

Who is this masked man! And how much do Jacobs want for the lenses? I just bought a 300 IS II. It is indeed Oirish.

Ryan ;)

Er I can't remember the prices off the top of my head, they seemed pretty reasonable (as they're closing down they're pretty much all they have left).

So thought I'd mention it.

I played with one of the loan 1Dx's a month ago but had some issues with the images, Frankie thought it was possibly a problem with that body (I was trying some difficult bird in flight shots of puffins) and am awaiting another try of a different body, and I'd be interested in the results you get in motorsport, certainly others have said that the af is excellent so I don't want to start rumours and it certainly requires a substantial learning experience!!

I suggest, if you haven't done it yet, download the af manual from the Canon website, I haven't the link to hand however if you can't locate it I'll email it to you.

Await your comments with interest!!

George.

Just back from RIAT. 1Dx and 600 MKII performed flawlessly. Took me about 5 minutes to dial in the correct AF settings for the job at hand and managed 99% accuracy on 30 - 40 shots bursts (JPG) thereafter. It tracked the planes beautifully ignoring front obstacles and backgrounds. Puts my 1D MKIV to shame!. I am one happy puppy! :)

Considering I am a big fan of the IV (I have had 4 after all) and loved the 2 I had till someone stole one in May - Is it a suitable replacement or should I try and find a IV on the market? Did you miss the crop factor?

I did miss the crop factor to start with but, that 1Dx AF accuracy makes you forget about 1.3 crop factors pretty sharpish! Besides I used the 1.4x when I needed a bot more reach.

Some Mig 29A at the 2012 Royal International Air Tatoo to help you make up your mind. ;)
Straight out of camera Jpg's put through photoshop to resize for web.
All shot with a hand held 1Dx and 600mm MKII
Please do not download my images to your hard drive or any other device. If you want to view then, please comeback to this thread to do so.

BN5P1901.jpg

Canon EOS 1Dx + EF 600mm F/4 L IS II ISO-800 f/5.6 1/4000 sec. lightly cropped
]

BN5P2018.jpg

Canon EOS 1Dx + EF 600mm F/4 L IS II ISO-800 f/5.6 1/4000 sec. medium crop

BN5P2025.jpg

Canon EOS 1Dx + EF 600mm F/4 L IS II ISO-800 f/5.6 1/4000 sec heavy crop.

Please do not download my images to your hard drive or any other device. If you want to view then, please comeback to this thread to do so.

Last edited:
Camera is coming tomorrow. Frankie broke the bad news on availability to me today. Unlikely to secure one till after the olympics now. :(

Really love those plane pics. Which is worth more....the plane or the camera lens combo?

Have you got yours? I miss the shoulder buttons for zoom. Wish I could change it.

IM now about 3/4th with my dealer. Said August if im lucky :(

Yeah i think that will really **** me off (plus the lack of AF point highlight in AI servo). However I feel a software update will take care of the shoulder button zoom issue. Its an easier fix than the light in the 'spethal' display screwing the metering.

So I can't make the focus point light up then?

Only in one shot. Not in Ai-servo going off of the paperwork. The Focus point stays black so as to not effect the cameras metering. Its the same as the 7d/5diii.

Although its only since the 5diii came out that people started moaning (guess it says alot about 7d users)

You get used to the new zoom method and will actually like it (if you have a 1DMKIV as well, it will take you 3-5 days to adapt).
Ai servo focus point not lighting up is a no issue with me. In fact, I prefer it not to light up as it is distracting when tracking fast moving subjects.

Ai servo AF setup is complex and it will take you some time to find the perfect settings for whatever you are shooting. But, once you find the sweet spot, it will track like a laser beam! I am achieving 98-99% focus accuracy on 30-40 shots bursts (jpg).

I've been using Canon EOS 1 series bodies since the EOS 1n RS. The 1Dx is, hands down, the best SLR canon has ever produced.

No it's not it's total crap and I hate it. I think I'll buy a Sony

How am I doing? Convincing yet?

Go for it I hear Sony does fantastic sensors. Pity... the same can't be said about the rest of the camera :p
Oh... don't give up the day job.. You're not very convincing as an actor :exit: :LOL:
PS:
Take care when changing lenses. Viewfinder seems to be a dust magnet :(

Last edited:
The viewfinders on my 1Ds-III and 1D-IV are dust free and when it gets dirty, a good squeeze of the old Rocket-blower takes care of whatever is there. :). Not so with the 1Dx. It is only a couple of weeks old and, even though I've only changed lenses 10-15 times, the viewfinder is full of rocket-blower resistant bunnies :( . Must be the electronic overlay display (grid and such) creating static and attracting more dust than previous models.
There is nothing I hate more than a dirty viewfinder :annoyed:

I see what you mean about the dust! Christ!

Can anyone email me a "loan agreement" ? I was not sent one and I am want to know what limitations regarding posting images there are.

PM if you prefer.

They rather not have pre-production models images around. But, if your loaner is production camera, I don't think sharing will be a problem

I didn't (and wasn't asked to) sign a loan agreement, just felt it was taken for granted.

I can see their point re pre prod models, but there can be no reason for not posting production body sample images now it's available.

I believe from the spot on the body and battery that this is not a final build. Its Rev number says same. However I have not been given a loan agreement.

What firmware version does it have?

Confirmed today with canon the limitations and that it's a pre production unit.
No need for agreement now. Thanks all.

Rob Galbraith has posted his Nikon D4 impressions.
Direct quote below.

"The D4's AF system provides a balanced level of autofocus performance: it's good for most things, great for some things, and not horrible at anything. Some of the key traits of the D4 AF system are:
Exceptional static subject focus. The D4 consistently gets the focus distance exactly right when the subject isn't moving.

Very good, and often excellent, tracking of moving athletes in overcast conditions or under artificial light.

Fast acquisition of proper focus in sports like volleyball. The D3S feels pokey by comparison.

Good, but rarely excellent, tracking of moving athletes in full sunlight. The D4, like the D3S before it, misses a few more frames than it ought to when the light is beautiful
."

Funny that... a few years ago, when he wrote his Canon 1D MKIII impressions, the same AF behavior was totally unacceptable.
:thinking: Nikon must pay very well indeed :naughty:

If what he wrote is true, my 1Dx will have the D4 for breakfast any day of the week and twice when is sunny!!! :D

But wait.. It gets better...
"All of the above assumes the use of lenses like the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, AF-S 400mm f/2.8G VR II and AF-S 200-400mm f/4G VR. What these all have in common is a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or slower. I've struggled to achieve the same level of autofocus performance with Nikon's f/1.4 lenses, including the AF-S 24mm f/1.4G, AF-S 50mm f/1.4G and AF-S 85mm f/1.4G. Even when the working aperture is f/2.8 and therefore shallower depth of field is not a factor.

As of this writing, I've not sorted out why f/1.4 lenses seem to bring about poorer AF system performance with the D4, or if there is a magic combination of AF settings that might alleviate the problem. With this camera, like the D3S before it, I've sidestepped the matter entirely by focusing in Live View instead. This has been a manageable workaround, at least for static subjects, but it's not much of a long term solution.
"

"I've sidestepped the matter entirely by focusing in Live View instead"

Really?.. no trip to Japan?, no trying several bodies with several lenses?. No hammering the matter until the camera gets a recall?...Oh dear....I guess Nikon is not as willing to listen to their costumers as Canon is... Welcome to the dark side indeed :LOL:

Last edited:
Used the camera in anger for my flamenco school show performance rehearsals. Below a shot taken at ISO 51K (cleaned) with available stage lights I had no control over. I am very happy with the final image, It prints beautifully. 2 years ago, I would have never dreamed shooting for keepers at this high ISO would ever be possible. This camera is awesome!

BN5P8353.jpg

Lovely shot for such an high iso, keep following this thread and have decsided that im going to save up for one of these beasts, looks an awesome camera will be moving up from a 7D so a massive step up in performance me thinks

But according to these guys http://xerodigital.ca/canon-1dx-nikon-d4/ the 1DX simply cant compete with the AF system of the D4 in low light and for overall AF consistency, my current D3S gives me no less than a 98% keeper rate and any OOF are my fault.

But then again (and i dont mean to sound arsey) i know how to use my equipment and to work it to the best of its capabilities, how many folk lash out £3,500 on new DSLR's and dont even understand the basics of photography :wacky:

Rob Galbraith has posted his Nikon D4 impressions.
Direct quote below.

"The D4's AF system provides a balanced level of autofocus performance: it's good for most things, great for some things, and not horrible at anything. Some of the key traits of the D4 AF system are:
Exceptional static subject focus. The D4 consistently gets the focus distance exactly right when the subject isn't moving.

Very good, and often excellent, tracking of moving athletes in overcast conditions or under artificial light.

Fast acquisition of proper focus in sports like volleyball. The D3S feels pokey by comparison.

Good, but rarely excellent, tracking of moving athletes in full sunlight. The D4, like the D3S before it, misses a few more frames than it ought to when the light is beautiful
."

Funny that... a few years ago, when he wrote his Canon 1D MKIII impressions, the same AF behavior was totally unacceptable.
:thinking: Nikon must pay very well indeed :naughty:

If what he wrote is true, my 1Dx will have the D4 for breakfast any day of the week and twice when is sunny!!! :D

But wait.. It gets better...
"All of the above assumes the use of lenses like the AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, AF-S 400mm f/2.8G VR II and AF-S 200-400mm f/4G VR. What these all have in common is a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or slower. I've struggled to achieve the same level of autofocus performance with Nikon's f/1.4 lenses, including the AF-S 24mm f/1.4G, AF-S 50mm f/1.4G and AF-S 85mm f/1.4G. Even when the working aperture is f/2.8 and therefore shallower depth of field is not a factor.

As of this writing, I've not sorted out why f/1.4 lenses seem to bring about poorer AF system performance with the D4, or if there is a magic combination of AF settings that might alleviate the problem. With this camera, like the D3S before it, I've sidestepped the matter entirely by focusing in Live View instead. This has been a manageable workaround, at least for static subjects, but it's not much of a long term solution.
"

"I've sidestepped the matter entirely by focusing in Live View instead"

Really?.. no trip to Japan?, no trying several bodies with several lenses?. No hammering the matter until the camera gets a recall?...Oh dear....I guess Nikon is not as willing to listen to their costumers as Canon is... Welcome to the dark side indeed :LOL:

Gary, the d3s is a wonderful camera. Going off of andy rouse's blog the AF works better overall than the d4. He seems to be reverting to his d800 due to the issues.

AF consistnency in that blog linked also states the dx files are in general sharper.

Oh and my dx is here for those that care :)

Last edited:
Gary, the d3s is a wonderful camera. Going off of andy rouse's blog the AF works better overall than the d4.
Sort of the point i was making in a roundabout way when i linked to the other blog, what one guy can get out of his equipment another guy cant, so it doesnt mean one system is better than the other, it's one reviewers opinion based on how he set up the equipment, ive seen enough good and bad images from both the 1DX and D4S cameras to actually put it down to each individuals skill level in setting the camera up to the best which can be squeezed out of it in many different situations.

Theres a guy on here who in my mind produces better images with his D3 than i can with my D3S and when i owned a Canon 40D i was producing better images with that than pros who were using 1D MKII's

Gary, the d3s is a wonderful camera. Going off of andy rouse's blog the AF works better overall than the d4. He seems to be reverting to his d800 due to the issues.

AF consistnency in that blog linked also states the dx files are in general sharper.

Oh and my dx is here for those that care :)

Wahey!!!
Go out and enjoy. It is a fantastic tool you can trust. I am no longer thinking is this going to be in focus?... Is been a long time coming but, finally, Canon got it right! Some minor issues like the AFMA bug but, this can be resolved by leaving Orientation Linked AF Point set to the default.
I am loving mine! (y)

Back