Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

....so now off for a glass of wine, Ivan!!!?????

...so now off for a glass of wine, Ivan???:clap:

oops, double post....2 glasses???

Sky has cleared up and so, I present you with The Moon's Aristarchus crater.

Pentax Q with an EF 600mm MKII + 2 staked EF 2X Extenders Total equivalent focal length of 13200mm f/16.

No IS so focusing was, to put it mildly, a freaking nightmare!
Image is full frame no crop!

_IGP0368.jpg

They get better each time Ivan.

The focus parameters sound like a royal PITA, especially if, like me, you don't have the steadiest of hands! Let us know if you find a solution :(.

Andy

Thank you Andy. Is good to know my efforts are paying dividends. I do try harder every time ;)
As of my hands... People asks me if I have Parkinson's!... (and I am not kidding they do ask!) So you can imagine trying to manually focus on the moon with that rig is far from easy. In fact that image at 100% is way OOF! :(
Below the monster rig!

BN5P5857.jpg

Last edited:
Wow there is so much detail in your moon shots Ivan. Any idea of distance, say the diameter of the big white crater on the right side, to give an idea of scale?

Hi Andy.
On the top left of both images you have the famous Aristarchus Crater. This is the brightest crater on the Moon. It has a 24.9 mile diameter and a depth of 2.3 miles source
Hope that helps with scales. :)

Wow there is so much detail in your moon shots Ivan. Any idea of distance, say the diameter of the big white crater on the right side, to give an idea of scale?

Get your slide rule out Andy. Distance to the moon, focal length and sensor size to get AOV and you've got your answer.

Bob

IGADIZ said:
Thank you Andy. Is good to know my efforts are paying dividends. I do try harder every time ;)
As of my hands... People asks me if I have Parkinson's!... (and I am not kidding they do ask!) So you can imagine trying to manually focus on the moon with that rig is far from easy. In fact that image at 100% is way OOF! :(
Below the monster rig!

Ivan, I love the rig!
Just out of interest, I would love to know how others achieve sharp focus with similar rigs, or is it achieved PP?
Re your hands, have you tried alcohol lol?!!

Andy

Ivan, I love the rig!
Just out of interest, I would love to know how others achieve sharp focus with similar rigs, or is it achieved PP?
Re your hands, have you tried alcohol lol?!!

Andy

I prefocused with the 1Dx and then fine focus once the Q is mounted. This bit is as you can well imagine, is a royal PITA!
Alcohol helps, hence my edited recipe for Robin's sauce :LOL:

S: we should get back to topic before we get a slap in the wrist from the mods! :bat:

Last edited:
So that you guys don't think I only take shots at the moon ( like some kind of crazed psychopathic stalker)....After years of yearning for one ( I just could not justify the cost).
I finally got a Thermomix, the wonder blender that will set you back the best part of a grand!!!.
My sister has had one since I can remember and this year My family decided to pay half the cost as a birthday pressie... (Insert huge grin here :D)...

Anyway, I've been following the book recipes religiously but, having been trained as a chef, I just can be arsed with how other people cook their foods. So, below, my Chocoholic version of the classic Chocolate truffle.
Recipe immediately below picture. (warning... recipe is good for about 100 truffles)
PS: Please be gentle with critique, other than the lenses or cameras I sell here, I do not specialize in product photography. Constructive criticism will be appreciated.
BN5P5920.jpg

Canon 1Dx + Canon 17-mm TS-E + 3 EX 600RT + Product tent.
Whiskey, honey and Hazelnut Truffles.

For the ganache.

400g 85% cocoa dark chocolate (chopped into small squares)
200g white chocolate (chopped into small squares)
150ml whiskey
280g single cream
100g roasted hazelnuts.
zest of 1 small orange
1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
150g Honey

For dressing.

Chocolate savings, Coconut savings, orange peel, crushed pistachio nuts, almonds or hazelnuts. Cocoa powder. or If you prefer a hard chocolate shell, then you'll need to melt and temper some chocolate for the coating.(good chocolate temper methods can be found searching Google)
Place the different coatings into bowls

Method.

Pour the hazelnuts into the bowl and choose speed 10 for 20 sec,
Add the cream and program 8 minutes speed 1 Temperature varoma.
After one minute slowly add all the chocolate pieces. Increase speed to 2 and reduce temperature to 60.
After 3 minutes add the honey, orange zest, whiskey and vanilla. Increase speed to 3.

Once finished let it rest for 2 minutes and then program speed 10 for 1 minute.

Poor into truffle moulds or a large bowl and place into the freezer until harden.
Use a melon ball tool or small teaspoons to scoop the Ganache and roll into balls. If you used a mould the base of the truffle will be flat, roll in to spheres between your hands.

Drop the balls into your dressing of choice and move about until fully coated.
Place into paper or aluminum baskets and keep refrigerated.

These will keep for 5 days in the fridge or 1 month freezer.

Moods please note: This Post can be found in Images for pleasure but, since it was taken with a 1 Dx, it is relevant to this thread too!

Last edited:
Delicious..

I had my first proper outing with the 1Dx on Sunday. I shot some of the Nottingham Robin Hood half marathon. This wasn't a paid gig I just did it for practice. Besides Marathon-Photos have got an exclusive licnese I think so I can't sell any. :( Used the 70-200 mkII. Overall very very impressed with both camera and lens. I am less impressed with how much I have foregotten in nearly a year out of proper photography. I really need to get to grips with the 1Dx focus modes. When it nails a shot it's so sharp. Most of these images have had some fairly heavy cropping and very slight adjustments for contrast and saturation but other than that they are straight out of camera. Almost all of them at ISO800 as it was a bit gloomy under the trees. I would never leave it at that setting and add NO noise reduction in any other camera I have owned.

More shots in my Flickr feed too.

Any crit and/or tips are most welcomed.

Nottingham Marathon-15 by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Nottingham Marathon-301 by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Nottingham Marathon-84-2-2 by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Nottingham Marathon-98-2 by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

5 Little red riding hood and the wolf I guess?

Nottingham Marathon-228 by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very impressed with the 1DX at the weekend.

i-vtt29HM-XL.jpg

i-jwQP38G-XL.jpg

Hard to find any fault other than i am not used to getting such a high rate of keepers to sort through.

Looking forward to my second outing at the final BSB at brands in two weeks time then the 1DX will go away till next season starts.

Superb! Anyone else looking for a 1Dx I have stock. Ian.
Very impressed with the 1DX at the weekend.

i-vtt29HM-XL.jpg

i-jwQP38G-XL.jpg

Hard to find any fault other than i am not used to getting such a high rate of keepers to sort through.

Looking forward to my second outing at the final BSB at brands in two weeks time then the 1DX will go away till next season starts.

Glen, those are fantastic mate. The colour, clarity and sharpness, particularly # 1 are superb. What glass were you using?

Andy

400mm 5.6 believe it or not :eek:

Took a gamble and traded my 1DMKIII and 400 f2.8 IS L in for a 1DX and a 400mm 5.6 so i can get round the track easier during races as with the 400 f2.8 it was to much to lug round and a pain having to use a monopod all of the time.

Now saving for a new 500mm f4 for next season though as these are fairly large crops believe it or not.

The last BSB race had clouded over and the light level was very low and i am sure if i still had the 1DMKIII or 1DMKIV the A/F would of struggled but the 1DX didnt have any problem at all.Coupe of the other togs with me were having trouble getting sharp shots as the light was that low,was very pleased with the 1DX i must admit.

Love those shots Glen. So sharp and very vibrant.

Can I ask what AF settings you used? I'm finding it tricky relearning all the AF stuff of the 1D series after nearly a year without a DSLR. :bonk:

Andy (Ema747), It is saying that your images are currently unavailable. Have you removed them?

stevewestern said:
I have tried alcohol and my pictures are still nothing like as good as most on this forum let alone those on this thread......

Might try again tonight !

Photos, alcohol or both? :)

Superb! Anyone else looking for a 1Dx I have stock. Ian.

Out of interest how much are they at the moment Ian i'm bussy saving up with a view to purchasing one first half of next year if all goes to plan :)

Just chucking in my two roubles into this one...

I had hands on with Gadget-guy's 1DX at BSB (from where those images are from) and that is one sweet piece of kit. Thats the first time I have seen any other media tog with one - most of us use either MkIIN's or MkIII's or Noinker stuff like me :D

Then I see his results today from it...using a "cheap" lens and heavy crops... wow, I could even be tempted back to Canon!

Glen does know what he's doing, but these results are better than ever.

Awesome (y)

Love those shots Glen. So sharp and very vibrant.

Can I ask what AF settings you used? I'm finding it tricky relearning all the AF stuff of the 1D series after nearly a year without a DSLR. :bonk:

Centre point A/F 90% of the time some times with surrounding assist points and didnt fiddle to much on my first outing so just stuck with case 4.

Would love to get the hang of using back button A/F but have never worried before as had the 300 f2.8 or 400 f2.8 so could stop af with the button on the lens but will learn and practice over winter while i dont care about forgetting LOL.

Not really the same thing, the back button method seperates exposure from focus, useful if your subject is running/driving/moving in and out of differently lit or shadow and non shadow areas.

using the "normal" shutter button the exposure is locked to the first frame you shoot and remains the same for every shot in the "burst", using the back button the camera re-evaluates the exposure for every frame in the burst and exposes every shot accordingly

Not really the same thing, the back button method seperates exposure from focus, useful if your subject is running/driving/moving in and out of differently lit or shadow and non shadow areas.

using the "normal" shutter button the exposure is locked to the first frame you shoot and remains the same for every shot in the "burst", using the back button the camera re-evaluates the exposure for every frame in the burst and exposes every shot accordingly

Cheers Gary was aware of that but have never really required to use it or tried to get myself to remember to do it and have found that just stopping the A/F drive when in servo for the odd shot on the grid enough as i only have a track pass but would like to get myself into the habbit while the season is over (y)

Cheers Gary was aware of that but have never really required to use it or tried to get myself to remember to do it and have found that just stopping the A/F drive when in servo for the odd shot on the grid enough as i only have a track pass but would like to get myself into the habbit while the season is over (y)
I used it all the time when i was a Canon shooter with excellent results until a little arthiritis set into my thumb and now im a Nikon shooter the Back button is further away than on the Canon so i cant reach it comfortably anymore. :(

Gary, are you using the back button (AF-ON or *) for auto-focus or exposure here?

Just double-checking my understanding, as I didn't know this

If AF, then you're holding that down with your thumb and tracking throughout the "burst". And during that burst, the camera adjusts the exposure as necessary?

But if you just use the "normal" button throughout the burst, you can still track focus as with the back button, but the exposure isn't adjusted?

Thats only on French models Bob :LOL:
You could be right Gary. The other strange thing is that it works differently after the first bottle of plonk :shrug:

Here's a DLC article that explains it....bottom of the page.
"However, this only happens when you combine One-Shot AF mode with the Evaluative metering. Switch to AI Servo AF, and/or use any other type of metering, and exposure always continually updates itself as you move the camera"

Bob

Last edited:
it works differently after the first bottle of plonk :shrug:

Who mentioned plonk :D

p1171562192-3.jpg

I have made a start as the ironing is done

p1171572200-3.jpg

and the chicken is marinating for tonight's kebabs.

p1171572180-3.jpg

:LOL::LOL:

Back