Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Well, initial fiddling and a few test shots with my previous worst combination, 70-200 f 2.8 mk2 and 2x mk 3 tc, show excellent results, far superior to anything I've had with either my 7D or 1 Ds3- af quick and focus almost 100% spot on and sharp!!
I suspect 12 fps is really too fast for my general wildlife stuff....set low at 8 fps, but great to have when you need it.

Not worked with custom af yet, just straight out the box so far, but am absolutely delighted it so far. It is, interestingly, far better than the pre production one Frankie lent me.

Looking forward to a few days of experimenting!!

Brilliant!!
I'm glad you have now got yours too George. (y)

Glad to hear your findings are positive with the 70-200 mkII and TC x2 mkIII as that's what I got. I've not used it yet as I've been too busy to even get it out of the box today. :bonk:

Nice one Andy, at last!

Re the Sigma 50mm 1.4, I have one and its a belter of a lens. I can certainly recommend one.

Enjoy the new kit and fgs keep it this time lol!

Andy
Good to hear it's a nice lens. All the reviews seems very positive but it's always reassuring to have them backed up by real world users.

Ploddles said:
Cheers Paul, but I meant the screen saver (as I had quoted your post re the screen saver) :)

Duh! It had been a busy week LOL

I have used them on my iPhone and they were good. They are cut very precise and on the 1Dx there is a slight edge on the screen recess which makes it difficult to get it to fit exact, had a few tries. In my opinion it needs to be slightly undercut. Other than that they seem good.

Been having a further play, and was attempting to look at micro adjustment via DPP info....and it's not available!! Why has this been dropped?

Is it also dropped in the 5D3?

Been having a further play, and was attempting to look at micro adjustment via DPP info....and it's not available!! Why has this been dropped?

Is it also dropped in the 5D3?

Micro adjusment is in there George.....last item on the last page of the AF group menu.

Bob

Yes, Bob, it's on the camera but not in the info on DPP as far as i can ascertain.....was playing in the camera and expected to be able to see what I had done in the data in DPP but...alas....n'exist!!!.as far as I can see....check please..

Yes, Bob, it's on the camera but not in the info on DPP as far as i can ascertain.....was playing in the camera and expected to be able to see what I had done in the data in DPP but...alas....n'exist!!!.as far as I can see....check please..

The MA value appears in the info on mine, George...the entry above "picture style". :shrug:
Are you using the latest DPP?

Bob

Last edited:
The MA value appears in the info on mine, George...the entry above "picture style". :shrug:
Are you using the latest DPP?

Bob

OOPS...will check tomorrow, watching the gowf in the US at the mo...thanks, Bob!!

I'm on 3.11.26.DPP...what's the latest?

Last edited:
George said:
RE screen protectors, I prefer the glass ones to the stick on ones, and the GGS ones have been good in the past.

Is the 5D3 screen the same size as the 1 Dx?

Have a look at this..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GGS-LCD-Screen-Protector-optical-glass-for-Canon-5D-Mark-III-Main-LCD-Info-LCD-/251054051918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a73fcd24e#ht_2929wt_1023

Comments?

I prefer the glass GGS protectors but could not find one for the 1Dx, saw the one for the 5D3 but was not sure if it would fit, it may as they both have 3.2" screens. I shall be interested if anyone buys one and confirms the fit. May just go ahead anyway and try it when I get back from holiday.

OOPS...will check tomorrow, watching the gowf in the US at the mo...thanks, Bob!!

I'm on 3.11.26.DPP...what's the latest?

Ah, I see now. 3.11.26 on my old laptop doesn't show it but 3.11.31 on the new laptop does.
There's the solution, George.

Bob

I prefer the glass GGS protectors but could not find one for the 1Dx, saw the one for the 5D3 but was not sure if it would fit, it may as they both have 3.2" screens. I shall be interested if anyone buys one and confirms the fit. May just go ahead anyway and try it when I get back from holiday.

I'll order tomorrow and report on delivery, guys!!

Cheers, Bob, I'll give it a go tomorrow!!:clap:

Well I've updated to the latest DPP as downloaded from the Canon US site, and still no MA!!

I'm using Mac os lion, so it's a Mac download...are you on Mac or Windows, Bob?

Now shows as 3.11.31.0.

Hmmm...

Paul, I've just ordered one, says delivery 10-25 days.
Will report on arrival....and we should catch up sometime, I go up your way sometimes to Raasay.
George.

Well I've updated to the latest DPP as downloaded from the Canon US site, and still no MA!!

Now shows as 3.11.31.0.

Hmmm...
I'm on Windows 7, George.

Bob

Now shows as 3.11.31.0.

Hmmm...

Works ok on my Mac George. Both on Lion and Mountain Lion.

8015067462_1a57c3369d.jpg
[/url] MA by Ploddles101, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm going potty...not unusual!!

I've tried setting it up on a windows system, again 3.11.31.0 and I'm still not seeing it!!
What can I be doing?????

OK, solved it...if you open a file and AFMA is set to disable in the camera, the option doesn't show up when you look at the info.

As soon as you switch it on in the camera and look at a file, lo and behold, there it is!!

I was trying to use AFMA in sunny conditions yesterday and I mustn't have switched it on...thanks Bob and Vaughan for your help!!

Paul, I've just ordered one, says delivery 10-25 days.
Will report on arrival....and we should catch up sometime, I go up your way sometimes to Raasay.
George.

Thanks George, I shall get a GGS protector sooner or later. I shall look forward to hearing the verdict once your 5D3 protector arrives.
Yes, I was thinking the same, I gather from your posts you stay on Raasay a lot. We go to Skye regularly also, keep saying we must pop over to Raaasay for a walk.
PM me next time you are up here and have some time, we can catch up, have a coffee and tell each other how good the 1Dx is LOL; not that you need any telling now of course.
We have just returned from a club photo walk down Glen Etive where we were shooting the Kayaking down the rapids. First time the 1Dx had some fast action shots....almost all were in focus...amazing.

OK, will do, Paul, wife on Raasay next week with friends so I'll have some time to play with the 1 Dx!!

Will give you a shout next time I'm up!!

Will pm you my mob as well...do you know Mr H MacInnes?.....old climbing friend of mine from many years ago....

OK, solved it...if you open a file and AFMA is set to disable in the camera, the option doesn't show up when you look at the info.

As soon as you switch it on in the camera and look at a file, lo and behold, there it is!!

I was trying to use AFMA in sunny conditions yesterday and I mustn't have switched it on...thanks Bob and Vaughan for your help!!
Ah, that makes sense why I didn't see it on the old laptop but it was there on the new one. The shots on the old one were pre-firmware update and the AFMA was disabled due to the problem with lost values.....thanks, George.

Bob

I know is yet another boring Moon picture by me but, I am now consistently getting very good Moon shots with my 1Dx and lens setup.

For those who don't follow my moon series, you only have to go through the moon shots I have posted over the years in this very forum to realize that, before I had this camera and lens combo, results varied wildly.

With the 1Ds MKIII the LCD monitor was no good enough to achieve critical manual focus and so it was always a hit or miss kind of thing, same goes for the (much improved) 1DMKIV. With the 1Dx manual focus is a breeze! and the final product speaks volumes about the quality of Canon new lenses and cameras!

Below, my latest Moon shot and immediately after that, my previous June attempt with a similar setup.

BN5P5736.jpg

24 - 09 - 2012 Waxing gibbous Canon EOS 1Dx - EF 600mm f/4 L IS II - Staked EF Extender 2X MKIII + EF Extender 1.4X MKIII via Jessop 13mm extender ring
(EF extenders won't stack due to clearance issues so the 13mm ring is in between) - manual focus via live view

BN5P0362.jpg

28 - 06 - 2012 Waxing Gibbous Canon EOS 1Dx - EF 600mm f/4 L IS II - EF Extender 2X MKIII - manual focus via live view

I have now bought an EF 2x MKII which I know would stack with the 2X MKIII to this I will add the 1.4 with the 13mm ring and see what kind of image quality I get ...If usable, I will then attach my Pentax Q which, with a 5.5x crop factor, would give me a focal length of 18480mm f/22... yes you read that right. The problem is, diffraction comes in at f/2.8 with the Pentax Q so, other than satisfying my curiosity, I doubt I be able to get anything of use!. Desperate Dan keeps coming to my mind for some reason :LOL: :bonk: :LOL:

Last edited:
Hey, that's a crafty trick, Ivan, all this staring at the moon must be good for you...I hadn't thought of using a 13mm ring, but I've just had a quick play photogtaphing my neighbour's roof moss and it works!!....but a tripod helps too..:exit:

Will do a bit more experimenting..assume you were using mirror lock up.

Yes, live view is excellent on the 1 Dx.

Hey, that's a crafty trick, Ivan, all this staring at the moon must be good for you...I hadn't thought of using a 13mm ring, but I've just had a quick play photogtaphing my neighbour's roof moss and it works!!....but a tripod helps too..:exit:

Will do a bit more experimenting..assume you were using mirror lock up.

Yes, live view is excellent on the 1 Dx.

George.... live view has the mirror locked up :LOL:. 10sec delay on the shutter and a hefty RRS Tripod with a RRS PG-02 Full Gimbal Head helps.... A LOT!!! (y)

OK, Ivan, I was doing the set up with live view and then going to lock up, with a 10 sec delay to really try and minimise any shake. Perhaps OTT!!
Will try more tomorrow, light gone....!!!

so you lucky 1dx owners - is there any buyers remorse - does anyone think they should have got the 5d Mk3?

I wonder how many of us are that lucky on the forum??

I'm sure the 5D3 is excellent, but the 1 Dx blows you away....and Bob has 2!!!!!!!!!
One for each hand, Bob!!:clap::shrug:

so you lucky 1dx owners - is there any buyers remorse - does anyone think they should have got the 5d Mk3?

I got the 5D3 and I know I should have waited for a 1Dx.

The 5D3 is great as a light/wedding tool/studio camera and is okay as a sports body but not as a main sports camera. Good as a backup or as a body.

I wonder how many of us are that lucky on the forum??

I'm sure the 5D3 is excellent, but the 1 Dx blows you away....and Bob has 2!!!!!!!!!
One for each hand, Bob!!:clap::shrug:

It is an amazing piece of kit, George.....200/2 on one and 300/2.8 on the other is excellent for football.

I must say a big thank you to Mark (MHO) :clap: for obtaining an English user guide for me from the US. Six weeks and numerous emails to CPS (both in France and the UK) has got me nowhere and Mark gets it sorted....and he doesn't even use Canon gear :shake:

Bob

so really - what's the big benefit - on paper they look remarkably close - what are the three biggest differences from a real use perspective

so really - what's the big benefit - on paper they look remarkably close - what are the three biggest differences from a real use perspective

It's more expensive, heavier and has less Mp.....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

that's harsh - but fair!

but what i can see is a faster frame rate, potentially slightly better focusing, and exposing on the focus point rather than the centre

am i missing something important

Ivan went to one of the Canon platinum preview days and he will have more input (the moon's gone to bed now so he won't be photographing it at the moment, I suspect...) and it'd be interesting to hear his comments.
I'd say obviously better build quality, better iso performance and the real advantage is the keepers on AF, it has a digic 4 processor just for that and at 12 fps the performance is stunning in my (so far) limited experience with it.
On paper I agree they look fairly similar, but I think the small differences all add up to a camera which just "feels" right and is an absolute joy to use, if that makes sense!
I have no doubt that the 5 D is an excellent camera, though.

I'm sure we all have different ideas about what's important. For me, it's the frame rate for sports and fast moving subjects (ie, birds). It's not that I fire off bursts of 10-15 shots but 3-5 shots isn't unusual. Take a 5 shot burst with any camera and look at shots #2 and #4 to see what you might have missed if the frame rate had been half of what you can achieve.

Bob

thanks george / bob - that's good insight - frame rate is something I can live without - or isn't worth the additional debt to me - and the 5d mkIII focusing seems excellent - 1dx looks near perfect - I can live with excellent

Bob - very jealous !

Just playing with the software, I cannot get EOS utilities to operate with either my 7D or 1 Dx, despite installing the latest software...using Mac OS Lion....can someone else please check on is there a known glitch?

AS soon as I connect either camera, the software crashes.

Thanks.

Back