Canon 1DX release

"Multiple Exposure Modes
The EOS-1D X is the first EOS Digital SLR to feature Multiple Exposure capability. The camera can combine up to nine individual images into a single composite image, with no need for post-processing in a computer. Four different compositing methods are provided for maximum creative control, including Additive, Average, Bright and Dark. Compositing results can be viewed in real time on the camera’s LCD monitor, and there is a one-step Undo command that allows photographers to delete an image and try again if desired. The EOS-1D X’s Multiple Exposure mode even allows photographers to specify a previously captured RAW image as the starting point for a new Multiple Exposure composite image."

Just to cheer up the HDR haters :p

Beat me too it Tom :) was just about to quote the same bit.

Note to the high ISO sports shooters it,s drop to just 10fps at 32,000 ISO and above :LOL:

Well i reckon it will make a superb Olympics camera but as a predominantly motorsport tog i like the APS-H format and from that pov it seems a bit lacking to me. But, Canon dont make cameras just for me and there's no way ill have the dollar to buy for for quite a while yet so i look forward to all those MkIV's coming up at bargain basement prices....:LOL:

B->

This is utterly brilliant, both as an advance in DSLRs and in how it'll bring down the price of second-hand 1D models :D

One downside is that it's an end to low shutter count second-hand pro-spec cameras. I reckon each of them will have around 20,000 shots racked up just by owners demonstrating the 14fps ;)

The HDR bit sounds interesting. Hopefully no more blending for me, but in reality...??

You guys have noticed how bloody big it is too? And heavier than the mk4..

Well, here it is. March release and no price yet. Estimated $7000ish.

That'll be £6000 here to start with.

Specifications

Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
18.1MP
Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
ISO 100-51200 Native
100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
61 Point AF
21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
5 f/2.8 Cross Type Senors
EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
12 Frames Per Second
14 Frames Per Second JPG Only
400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
Ethernet Connection
March Availability

Full spec on Canon Rumors page.

This idea of not releasing a price puzzles me, same with the 200-400 1.4x!!

Perhaps they are open to offers!!

Nice features for a Professional dslr:) but the price is very high and it's a shame only to see the 18.1MP on a nice camera i would like to see a 25MP that would be nice for the price:) IMO

But this is still CanonRumors.

Last edited:
Also noticed the f/4 cross type sensitive AF points.. The new 200-400/4 w/ 1.4x gets some love? I would love to see a 400/4 IS non-DO that takes the 2x extender next please!

The more I read Canon's comments and PR, it seems that their pitch to 1D4 users is that with less AA filtering and moire you can use your images at 100% crop even at high ISOs so ~10Mpx for the 1.3x crop equivalent FoV is all you need. Let's see if they can back that up with real-world results or if everyone will be cuddling their 16Mpx APS-Hs and starting to hoard spare bodies :LOL:

You guys have noticed how bloody big it is too? And heavier than the mk4..
It's a pro-spec camera that shoots at up to 14fps. To be honest, the only way they could have improved on it for me is to have included a film door. :)

Great looking camera but more of an update to the 1D line than the 1Ds imo.
This bodes well for the 5DMK3 which now won't have a model sitting above it to potentially rob sales from.That should mean the 5DMK3 will now get some of the features everyone wants to see in that line of camera...
or
the 5D becomes a cheaper entry level full frame line with a similar spec to to the existing 5DMk2(maybe a drop in certain aspects like the 50D to 60D).
This would then open up Canon for the 3D.A high mp smaller body camera with all the bells and whistles that all the landscape,studio and travel togs would love to get their hands on- Hopefully to be announced on the 3rd of November(we can but dream!).

Gary

Last edited:
They could have built in Wi-fi, dual CF cards disables the ability to use eye-fi cards. Forces alot of pro's to shell out $600 for the wifi transmitter. Ethernet port might see third party versions built though. Whatever they release people will always nitpick ;) The expected RRP does mean they'll possibly lose some market to the D4 if it's cheaper though.

If Canon don't release a D700/D800 style body (a 5dmk3 or 3D?) this time round then they really will have missed the trick.

They could have built in Wi-fi, dual CF cards disables the ability to use eye-fi cards. Forces alot of pro's to shell out $600 for the wifi transmitter. Ethernet port might see third party versions built though. Whatever they release people will always nitpick ;) The expected RRP does mean they'll possibly lose some market to the D4 if it's cheaper though.

I think we will find that there will not be any significant price difference between the D4 and this......

Ethernet Connection

:D The ethernet connection will make the professional version of my camera control unit even more useful.... Better get the portable one finished so I can build it....

If it has ethernet then it should be a VERY simple matter of adding a battery powered ethernet access point to it which will allow it's wired connection to connect with another wired/wireless network wirelessly.

You can pick up a wireless access point for under £50 that uses a DC adapter to run off the mains. With that in mind I think that the chinese will have shrunk the circuit board and fitted a battery within weeks. There should be no reason why a universal one couldn't be produced that is say the size of a trigger VERY easily. If they don't then you could still get a small one and power it by batteries and attach it to a belt.

Hmmmm ok, so I don't currently shoot Canon, but full frame for sports (which is all I shoot) isn't something I relish particularly... I did previously state that a D4 with 18mp would suit me...because I can engage in camera cropping to 1.4x, giving me 12ish mp.

Wonder if Canon can do that? If so, that might be usable.

Two reasons for wanting the cropping -

1) Smaller file sizes, faster processing/transmission - newspapers don't need even 300dpi!

2) On a ful frame camera the 61/51 AF points are all grouped really tightly in the middle - if you have never seen a FX body you won't appreciate that. This makes interesting sports composition tricky - I guess it doesn't matter if your picture desk cuts around the main subject, but I do like to turn in what stands up as a correctly composed 3:2 ratio image. Anyway, by using in camera cropping you can get the AF points out nearer the edges.

Personally I'm filing the 1DX as a retrograde step, I still believe APS-H to be the superior format for sports photography.

Hmmmm ok, so I don't currently shoot Canon, but full frame for sports (which is all I shoot) isn't something I relish particularly... I did previously state that a D4 with 18mp would suit me...because I can engage in camera cropping to 1.4x, giving me 12ish mp.

Wonder if Canon can do that? If so, that might be usable.

Two reasons for wanting the cropping -

1) Smaller file sizes, faster processing/transmission - newspapers don't need even 300dpi!

2) On a ful frame camera the 61/51 AF points are all grouped really tightly in the middle - if you have never seen a FX body you won't appreciate that. This makes interesting sports composition tricky - I guess it doesn't matter if your picture desk cuts around the main subject, but I do like to turn in what stands up as a correctly composed 3:2 ratio image. Anyway, by using in camera cropping you can get the AF points out nearer the edges.

Personally I'm filing the 1DX as a retrograde step, I still believe APS-H to be the superior format for sports photography.
i think this depends on what sport you shot and waht glass you can afford.
if i had the money for a d3s and 400f2.8 and tc i would. and people that can affor the 1dx have money so must have some nice glass.

I just noticed that they've improved the MA feature to check the serial number of the lens and to be adjustable at both ends of a zoom lens, now that actually makes MA useful - and I would expect that any camera coming out from Canon with MA will have that now too.

desantnik you'll find this is the end for pro level non FF bodies... d300 equivalent's etc may carry on however

JohnN said:
I just noticed that they've improved the MA feature to check the serial number of the lens and to be adjustable at both ends of a zoom lens, now that actually makes MA useful - and I would expect that any camera coming out from Canon with MA will have that now too.

That's potentially a brilliant feature.

That's potentially a brilliant feature.

Agreed, one of the things I disliked bout the 7D was that MA was useless on zooms and now they've addressed that.

I have never been into that sort of camera but HELL I WANT ONE!!!!!!! Can't wait to play with one at work!!

Now for a few sample images: here

Although small image three looks interesting when you check the ISO

haha :)

Now if they really want to be kind they can send me the camera too, I may even endorse it!

They could have built in Wi-fi, dual CF cards disables the ability to use eye-fi cards. Forces alot of pro's to shell out $600 for the wifi transmitter.
Given the magnesium alloy body, I think they'd only have had problems with anything wi-fi internal to the body. External is the only way to go IMHO.

desantnik you'll find this is the end for pro level non FF bodies... d300 equivalent's etc may carry on however

It certainly seems this way.

I'll be happy with that though, its where I am at now and it works fine.

Still look at a MkIV with tinges of desire, but not this MkX in the same way I don't look realistically at a D3S with any passion.

Given the magnesium alloy body, I think they'd only have had problems with anything wi-fi internal to the body. External is the only way to go IMHO.

Not really, they could quite easily just have an indentation in the side of the body with a hole in it and fit the wifi antenna into that indentation. With the rubberised cover over you wouldn't know where one started and one ended.

Back