canon 200d or panasonic g80

Edit My Images
Yes
hi can anyone please give me some advice on which of these two cameras would be best for my needs - I asked previously however at the time I was considering different models which I know won't be suitable for my needs now, and I wasn't keen on the feel of them in my hand.

I am looking for a camera to use for both vlogging and photography
for video I will be mainly filming cooking videos as well as typical blogging style things at home, on occasions I may vlog whilst out and about but this won't be the main use

for photos I am looking mainly at portraiture, pets, family, fashion, food, nature and maybe a little bit of wildlife.here and there too

I need something can perform well in low light - although not the dark, just my home is a little dull in the winter times.

this will be my first camera so looking for something user friendly as well

I also would like to have a nice choice of lenses to try different styles and techniques with

I'm struggling to find side by side comparisons of these two, looking for great video quality and great photo quality

thank you for any help

The G80 is a cracking camera, I've been using it the past year and never really found it wanting image quality wise [for both stills and video] I've not used the 200D, but I do know the 80D has some significant advantages over it, especially for video. It's weather sealed, better built [magnesium alloy Vs plastic], has in body stabilization - which makes a massive difference for your videos, and it has decent 4K. The lens selection you have access to with Panasonic are lighter and neater in general too, and there's plenty of budget zooms and primes. Add something like the 12-32 'pancake' zoom [can be got used for less than £100] and you've got a very neat little package. The 200D looks a great little camera for your needs too, but it doesn't have 4K if that's important? It does have the flip out touch screen, but it's lacking the IBIS - that will make more of a difference than not having 4K. With IBIS you can hand hold and shoot smooth, stable video, almost like you're using a gimble [with some practice at least] Another pro for the G80, for me at least, is the electronic viewfinder, I think once you use a decent one, which the G80 has, it's hard to go back to optical. I love seeing exactly what I'm going to get.

There's very little between them in terms of physical size and weight - the 200D being a little larger, but lighter. There's also very little between them in terms of end image quality - the Canon having the larger, higher res sensor, but the G80 having that IBIS which helps keep the ISO down for stills and doesn't have an AA filter which makes for sharper images at similar settings. From what I have seen ISO performance is about same for both, neither are going to be great at higher levels but for food photography you won't be rising that much anyway. For indoor shooting in dim lighting, especially during winter, you're going to want to get an off cam flash for either one I would say. Or use fast primes, both have access to plenty.

You mention vlogging - be aware that the 200D uses Canon's amazing dual pixel autofocus and G80 has average at best autofocus - depending on your priorities this might well tip the balance. For low light the G80 might struggle unless you have a decent f1.8 prime, which may add cost. I think on balance the G80 is a better camera.

P.S @Cagey75 nice profile picture :LOL:

Last edited:
You mention vlogging - be aware that the 200D uses Canon's amazing dual pixel autofocus and G80 has average at best autofocus - depending on your priorities this might well tip the balance. For low light the G80 might struggle unless you have a decent f1.8 prime, which may add cost. I think on balance the G80 is a better camera.

The AF for video on the G80 improved a lot with firmware updates, I don't use video much but the bit I have done, I found the AF decent enough in average lighting. Face detection works really well - both have this of course. As for low light, as I say, nothing between them really. I considered an M50 myself, which is pretty much a mirrorless version of the 200D [I would suggest that over the 200D in fact], or similar at least in terms of performance - but having checked out low light image comparisons and considering the benefits of IBIS and the better range IMO, of cheap fast primes, the G80 wins hands down for me. Sensor size barely matters for video, or the GH5 wouldn't be so popular for it. The G80 is essentially a mini GH5. It just lacks a few features from it's big bro'

P.S @Cagey75 nice profile picture :LOL:

Great minds :D

thanks the panasonic looks amazing on paper - the only thing that concerned me was the 16mp and the smaller sensor
the 200d appealed to me because of all the positive reviews it has regarding video, and from what I've seen it's very very beginner friendly, but I did struggle to find more on it when it comes to using it for photography as well, the 9 focal points seems a bit rubbish in comparrison to other cameras out there too.

the canon 80d is out of my budget unfortunately the only reason I can look at the panasonic is because they have it available refurbished for £600 which is really my budget for a camera but I want something that will last a while

To complicate things even further you could take a look at the Panasonic GX80.

It's a 16mp RF style MFT camera and I think it's very good value for what it is and they sometimes crop up used at even better value. I have one and I also have a 20mp GX9 and to be honest I see no real difference between them. The 16mp Panasonic cameras are IMO well worth a look. Personally I don't see the difference between MFT and APS-C as a deal breaker, I don't think there's a night and day difference between them.

The GX80 only has a tilting rear screen though and you may want a fully articulated for vlogging?

Last edited:
thanks the panasonic looks amazing on paper - the only thing that concerned me was the 16mp and the smaller sensor
the 200d appealed to me because of all the positive reviews it has regarding video, and from what I've seen it's very very beginner friendly, but I did struggle to find more on it when it comes to using it for photography as well, the 9 focal points seems a bit rubbish in comparrison to other cameras out there too.

the canon 80d is out of my budget unfortunately the only reason I can look at the panasonic is because they have it available refurbished for £600 which is really my budget for a camera but I want something that will last a while

Never choose a camera based on the MP count. 16mp without the AA filter softening things can produce sharper images than a 24mp sensor with the filter. Only a few years back 12mp was more than enough, it's mostly marketing shenanigans nowadays with the high numbers. You're not going to see much difference in end image quality for it, just a larger file. There's all kinds of other factors, the G80 also has a smaller sensor, which is more suited to a lower MP count IMO. Have you checked out the Canon M50? It's pretty much a mirrorless 80D and it's got 143 focus points that stretch a good ways across the frame

Last edited:
To complicate things even further you could take a look at the Panasonic GX80.

No external microphone support on GX80, which may or maynot be important to the OP.

I bought my son a G80, he is doing a filmaking course at college, and so far its exceeded the requirements of the course, and has proved a lot better than the colleg's own Canon cameras that are available for students. Its a great camera (and thats coming from a Fujiholic!!)

Very happy with my G80 - I also run an M50 Canon system side by side as still can't decide between them both! G80 sharpness and speed and overall flexibility is very good!

No external microphone support on GX80, which may or maynot be important to the OP.

I bought my son a G80, he is doing a filmaking course at college, and so far its exceeded the requirements of the course, and has proved a lot better than the colleg's own Canon cameras that are available for students. Its a great camera (and thats coming from a Fujiholic!!)

Like you I was firmly entrenched in the Fuji camp, still got a X-Pro2 and a few lenses.
Recently bought a Panasonic GX9 (maybe another one to consider) and been pleasantly surprised with the photos

Got fed up being a beta tester for Fuji plus the " we will never make a camera with ibis, physically impossible" then they did.
Sold a few of my primes by then, so thanks for nothing and made the move elsewhere

+1 for the G80, it's a cracking camera.

thanks everyone if the sensor size and mp aren't going to be an issue I may just opt for the panasonic g80
does anyone have any lens recommendations, is the kit lens decent enough to get started or should I add something else to it,
looking for lens recommendations for food photography, vlogging and portraits at the moment thank you

edit: I was in a pc shop today and got to have a look at the canon 200d I loved there simple easy to use menu system is the panasonic easy to use, it wasn't there for me to have a play around with unfortunately

Last edited:
I can't vouch for the panasonic as I've never used one, I use Canon myself. I find the Canon menu system very easy to use and have done from the very first day I got my hands on a Canon camera.
The 200d is quite small for a mirrored camera, so i think would be a good choice for your needs.

leanne do yourself a favour and go up a few threads on this section and find the panasonic thread , seek out my pics taken with the g80 and a variety of lenses , the camera itself can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be . the ability to use either panasonic or olympus lenses makes it good , the extra ability to take with adaptors lots of old manual focus lenses makes it a dream to use . heres one from today with a just purchased today manual focus 200mm lens from 1963
Untitled by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

thanks everyone, I had a look at that thread some incredibly stunning pictures! my only little concern with the g80 is the focusing when videoing? does anyone find this a problem at all especially if your moving about a bit

thanks everyone, I had a look at that thread some incredibly stunning pictures! my only little concern with the g80 is the focusing when videoing? does anyone find this a problem at all especially if your moving about a bit

With the updated firmware [1.3] and some tweaking, it's not bad, I've recorded our 11yr old, who's a bit of a nut case :D and the face/eye tracking follows her decent enough, it misses now and then. I think a lot of youtubers exaggerate how bad it is, and people jump on that. If you're watching any, make sure they are up to date at least with the latest FW active. If video is you #1 priority and you don't mind 1080p, then the Canon probably is the better bet, but I would look at the M50 over the SL2

It seems to be 4k video is a must have, but i can't really see the point if the videos are mostly viewed on phones, or tablets, I'm sure 1080p is quite sufficient. As for the Canon dual pixel focusing it really is quite good for video. I agree with @Cagey75 a M50 is probably your best bet, although it can do 4k video, it is cropped and doesn't use the dual pixel af, but will when recording in 1080p. I think the smaller size of the mirrorless would suit you better than a dslr.

4k isn't important to me tbh, I don't have a 4k laptop/tablet at the moment so couldn't do anything with it, and don't plan to use it.
I've seen a lot of negative things mentioned about the canon m50 which puts me off it a bit, I don't mind the dslr size tbh but that may change when it's in my hand for more than a few minutes lol,
photography on the camera is very very important to me though I will probably be using it about 60% photography and 40% video so photography is definitely up there in priority which is where I start to struggle when looking at reviews really, because some seem to just talk about how good a camera is at video and not mention much about the photography side, I also have never used a camera beyond a point and shoot or editing software so am very much a beginner looking for something I can learn with and build skill with

I never thought choosing a camera could be so difficult lol!

Last edited:
If photography is more important than the video, I would choose the 80d (I might be a bit bias though). Another thing to consider is the weight of the camera and lens. A kit lens is generally quite light, but put a L lens on it and the weight goes up quite a bit.

By coincidence this video was just uploaded today:

TLDW: He recommends the Panasonic G80 over the M50

G80: Better evf, best 4K in it's class [better than the Sony APSC cameras also] - Better 1080p than the M50 too according to him, better built, weather sealed and of course, IBIS. In terms of dynamic range and ISO performance, despite the difference in sensor size, there's nothing in it, the G80 producing sharper images at the same settings

I know I suggested the M50, but thinking more on it, the only reasons to get the M50 or the SL2/200D would be if you just really want to use Canon glass tbh. And that is possible on the G80 via adapters

On the photography side, I have yet to find the G80 lacking, I came from full frame Nikon and Fuji APSC to the G80, and was very wary before switching - initially held on to my old Fuji XT1 just in case, but it didn't take long to be convinced. I find the images from the G80 sharper than the Fuji and it's got a better overall layout [of course, Fuji have 2 newer versions since which will be higher res with new processors etc where Fuji wins is with ISO performance at higher levels and, well, looks] - I switched for the IBIS tbh, it is excellent for photography too. I've managed 1" second hand held shots with practice, even with old vintage lenses on cheap old adapters. There's plenty of cheap lenses to choose from too, like the 25mm f/1.7 that can be had for not much over £100 new, or the Olympus 45mm 1.8 for just a little more, they are also tiny but produce wonderful results in the right hands.

Last edited:
I think the canon lenses seem more accessible which is maybe what makes me want to lean towards that a little more, there are lots of second hand ones available to allow me to build a collection but I can see the lumix is likely better especially the weather sealed if I get caught in the rain or something, I'm gonna go for the panasonic I think, hopefully it's the right choice thank you all for your help!

I think the canon lenses seem more accessible which is maybe what makes me want to lean towards that a little more, there are lots of second hand ones available to allow me to build a collection but I can see the lumix is likely better especially the weather sealed if I get caught in the rain or something, I'm gonna go for the panasonic I think, hopefully it's the right choice thank you all for your help!

MPB have tonnes of Panasonic and Olympus lenses too, remember, both work perfectly on any M43 camera

I have just made the purchase of the panasonic, really nervous about the autofocus but will see how it goes when it gets here :D the fact it's weather sealed really sold it to me, I often get caught in the rain and that will give me some nice piece of mind when out especially since it's winter! I'm so excited to get started thank you all for your help in making my decision. and I completely forgot I could use olympus lenses too, so that's great to have the extra choices, I will check out mpb :)

I have just made the purchase of the panasonic, really nervous about the autofocus but will see how it goes when it gets here :D the fact it's weather sealed really sold it to me, I often get caught in the rain and that will give me some nice piece of mind when out especially since it's winter! I'm so excited to get started thank you all for your help in making my decision. and I completely forgot I could use olympus lenses too, so that's great to have the extra choices, I will check out mpb :)

It won't disappoint honest. On the AF, for stills it is blistering quick, no worries there. For video, it's as good as the other choices in 1080p, the AF problems you hear people talk about are only in 4K - and I honestly find it fine. Head to the Panasonic after it arrives if you have any questions on it :)

Good choice.

The only thing to be aware of, based on what you've said, is that indoors (especially in winter) is surprisingly dark even if it doesn't look like it so getting shots isn't the easiest.

Often a fast prime is a good choice (i.e f/1.8 aperture) but that then means shallow depth of field, which you might not want. Bounce flash is often the answer so might be worth looking for a separate flash. On the other hand, if you are taking stills of food or other things that aren't moving then the IBIS in the camera might well be enough to get the shots you want.

I have just made the purchase of the panasonic,

I hope you like it :D

I just wanted to mention a couple of small cheap lenses. Firstly the teeny tiny 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 G Vario Mega OIS. It's a tiny lens and can be used from wide open. Secondly the 45-150mm f4-5.6 which is small and light and again can be used from wide open. I'm mostly a prime user but I do like these two humble little lenses for their cheapness, image quality and lack of weight and bulk. I can also recommend the excellent 12-35mm f2.8.

My primes are Oly now, 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's.

Back