Canon 200mm f/2.8L anyone here use this lens?

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm looking at the Canon 200mm f/2.8L with a view toward buying one. Just wondered if anyone has used this lens and what your thoughts are in respect of it.
I appreciate I'm going to physically move in terms of framing my subjects, that's not something that'll influence my final decision. I'll be used mostly on a 7D2 and a 5D4.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes I do - I use it on a Canon EOS M3 and an EOS 100D; I very much like it - it’s a tad too short for most wildlife (my favored subject) in comparison to my 100-400, but it’s a cracking compact bit of glass that really sings on the M3; indeed the AF is much much faster in my m3 than the 100-400 L - which is surprising given the age difference. I can’t rate it enough, wholeheartedly recommend it. I think they’re a great optic, compact and a decent focal length for “different” points of view!

I had one years ago, loved it. In fact I had the mk1 too (used on film)

Despite having the 200/2, I keep the 200/2.8 as a more portable/discrete option....excellent lens and superb value for money.

Yes I have this lens too. I bought it off here last year, it is an old one and tbh I thought I may have bought a bad lens as it was cheap and didn't look to clean.
I was wrong Ive taken some lovely images with it recently.

Gaz

Hi Tim,

Yes I do - I use it on a Canon EOS M3 and an EOS 100D; I very much like it - it’s a tad too short for most wildlife (my favored subject) in comparison to my 100-400, but it’s a cracking compact bit of glass that really sings on the M3; indeed the AF is much much faster in my m3 than the 100-400 L - which is surprising given the age difference. I can’t rate it enough, wholeheartedly recommend it. I think they’re a great optic, compact and a decent focal length for “different” points of view!

I had one years ago, loved it. In fact I had the mk1 too (used on film)

Fantastic lens, buy one, you won't be sorry, one of my best lenses, and i've got loads of canon lenses.

Despite having the 200/2, I keep the 200/2.8 as a more portable/discrete option....excellent lens and superb value for money

This is a truly lovely lens - pin sharp when fully open - I sold it in a moment of madness which I now deeply regret.
The link below is to a shot taken by me using the 200 f2.8
James
https://500px.com/photo/177742035/moonrise-by-james-boardman-woodend

Yes I have this lens too. I bought it off here last year, it is an old one and tbh I thought I may have bought a bad lens as it was cheap and didn't look to clean.
I was wrong Ive taken some lovely images with it recently.

Many thanks Guys, just ordered one which will arrive tomorrow. Really appreciate you all taking time to speak from your own experiences, that's a great shot James, really superb.

I already have the 100-400 L mk2 and appreciate that this lens will come up short for some applications but it'll do what I have in mind which is occasional use on modeling shoots, wildlife where I can employ two bodies one FF and one crop and swap the lens between bodies and use a 1.4 extender with either body/lens combo.

I've really enjoyed using the 135 f/2 with the 1.4 extender for larger birds I can get close enough to get some good flight shots without having to wave the bulk of the 100-400 around so figured the 200 would fulfill that role with a little additional reach without using the extender if I don't need extra reach, plus it'll be useful for live music events and street photography.

Many thanks

Tim

Last edited:
Back