Canon 350D Bundles

rob

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm looking to get a Canon 350D :). I've decided that I'd definitely like the 18-55 kit lens. I'm a newbie to SLRs, but have been into photography (when time permits!) for around 2years. I've noticed that there's a bundle of a Canon 350D, 18-55, Battery Grip, and 55-200mm telephoto - Here

It looks like a pretty nice deal, you're paying £205 for the Battery grip (rrp £129.99 I think) and the 55-200 lens - it's a non-USM lens, I'm not really sure that this'll matter to me, since I'm a relative newbie. It'll be a telephoto for approx £75, my thinking is that I might as well get it, and upgrade to something better later, does this sound sane?

Thoughts, opinions, and flames all welcome.

Rob

Sounds llke a fair deal to me Rob, although I'm not really 'up' on 350D prices. I've no doubt the lenses will be fine anyway, and if you decide to upgrade the lenses later, you should have no trouble selling them. It's an expensive old game this - especially starting from scratch - that seems like a good package to start with and build on as and when...

Check with Jessops if the included 55-200 & grip will be listed seperately on the invoice and whether you will be able to claim cashback as per the canon deal on accessories just now. That might just make it cheaper.

I don't think either lens will be spectacular, I know the 18-55 is acceptable but not the sharpest lens out there but have no knowledge of the 55-200.

When i bought the 20D a couple weeks ago, i tried a 350D, i certainly wouldnt be able to use one without a grip ! Specially with a zoom lens. Little finger hangs under the body and feels very uncomfortable !

Jessops said they couldnt get 350D grips when i was there, and also said they couldnt order them at the time, so may be worth checking they have some in stock now, and also they had no kits with lenses when i was there either, and they were on back order !

First off, thanks for the replies :)

The 350D feels nicer to me than the 20D for some reason, the size is more "snug". A horses for courses issue I feel.

The 55-200 USM lens is the one that's included apparently. I have a 18-55 + 350D reserved at Jessops. The 55-200 will take a couple of days to arrive, and the battery grip will be a while.

I'm not so bothered about the wait. It feels and shoots nice for me :)

Will be purchasing tomorrow!

Rob

Steep said:
Check with Jessops if the included 55-200 & grip will be listed seperately on the invoice and whether you will be able to claim cashback as per the canon deal on accessories just now. That might just make it cheaper.

I don't think either lens will be spectacular, I know the 18-55 is acceptable but not the sharpest lens out there but have no knowledge of the 55-200.

The 18~55 is RUBBISH!!! I just bought a 350d with that lens, and it's absolute pants! Built badly, plasticy nonsense... and at the long end it's soft as hell... AVOID! Buy a body only and get a much nicer lens like the EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM.. more money admittedly, but worth it.

From what I've seen the 18-55 isn't that bad! I got the 18-55 and 55-200 USM lens (seems Jessops Hudds had been telling me some porkies), the battery grip, and camera body for £950 including the accidental damage cover.

Two weeks until I get it :)

Rob

I had the mkI 18-55 kit lens with my previous 300d and it wasn't a bad lens tbh. so much so that I got hold of a 17/40 L prior to selling the 300d.

Next to nothing between the 2 in terms of mid length image quality, couldn't really compare past 40mm though, and at the wide end, the L series showed a little less distortion at the edges.

Where the 17-40L does kick butt though, is it's ultra quick focus lock.

on performance Vs cost of the 2 lenses, the 18-55 won it for me
build is another matter again though, the kit lens felt rough when zooming, and the manual focus a little vague and wobbly. The 17/40 is exactly what you expect from L seris though, great build and buttery smooth action.

Reading various bits around the net, it does seem a bit hit and miss with the kit lens, maybe I had a good one.

Maybe the MkII version that comes with the 350d is worse then. Mine is noticeably soft at the long end past f8. I thought maybe mine was faulty, but I cjecked out some lens reviews, and particulalry http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/ which seems a well respected site.. and waddya know? They say exactly the same thing.

I think I'll Ebay my remaining Nikkor lenses, and upgrade some decent constant aperture USM lenses. The camera is clearly capable of more than this lens can deliver... so I'm silly not to.

:) Rob I too am bying a 350D(RebelXT).I have some Lenses 16-35,28-135,70-200,& 100-400 plus 2X extender which suites me fine. I hope these lenses work well on my New 350D.Wish you well in Your Shooting. Sean

Back