Canon 400d (Focus)

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have just come across something that I am not sure is a problem or not.
I have recently started shooting in full Manual mode But still use auto focus.
I take the picture and review it on the camera and it looks really sharp. I zoom in on the picture (on the camera) to make sure I have got the detail I want. The trouble is, when I zoom in more the detail looks out of focus. Can anyone advise please? It may be me just being stupid but the frustration is driving me mad:wacky:

Hi Chris, I haven't downloaded the images to the computer yet, I was going to do that a bit later. I was just wondering if this is normal on the camera in the first instance, I will downlaod them shorlty and see what the results are and get back to you. Thank you for answering though. Will get back to you shortly. Cheers Chris

Hi Chris, I have just downloaded the photos to my computer and they are exactly the same. Look good until you zoom in and then they are out of focus at the detail end. Any ideas?

Hi Phil, sorry mate I am new to this forum, how do I upload photos for you to see please?

Hi Chris, I have definately got M set on the Camera and AF set on the lens. I will give Flickr a go But I think I may have the answer Which I think Richard is about to answer for me. Hi Richard, thank you for replying. The lens I was using is the EF 90-300 Non IS lens (Canon) It's about 5 years old now.

Ah you sure it's not blur from too slow a speed, especially if you are lacking IS and shooting at high ranges - or just a lack of IQ if you are used to shooting in auto?

Remember if you are shooting a 300mm on a non-IS lens you want to be shooting at a minimum of 1/300th of a second, possibly 1/480 given it's a crop sensor.

Easiest way to tell if it's focusing or not, turn AF OFF (as you won't have FTM/USM on that lens), put it onto min/macro range and then turn AF back on and look through the rangefinder and half-press the button and it should focus in.

If you have a clear distance part on the lens you can obviously look at that and move the camera around between floor/sky and it should focus differently.

Thank you for that jmc41. I will certainly give that a go. Thank you for the good advise.

Hi

I also have a canon 400d - my problem is that when I view the shot on screen it looks fine but when I view it on the computer I am disappointed with it - clarity is lacking. I use auto focus with a canon 17-85 lens and make sure the IS is off when using the tripod.

Guys I shoot with a Canon 40D which is approx the same era as your 400D.

If it helps I have a similar problem and have learnt that you need to review your images on the computer not the LCD on the camera.

There is nothing wrong with my 40D but to really nail the focus I usually use Live View if time allows.

Also double check that when using the AF points there is some contrast at that point in the image otherwise the lens may not focus exactly where you want it to.

Depending on what you are shooting try using the centre focus point only, and have the AF Drive set to "One Shot", focus on your subject but keeping the shutter release half depressed recompose then shoot.

If you are shooting raw then please remember that some sharpening may be required in PP.

If you still believe you have a problem then do some testing with the camera on a tripod and use something black and white to focus on.

90% of the time I have no focusing issues, just when I want to be sure I take the extra precautions.

Hope this helps.

Get the pics posted up as suggested Colin, otherwise you will end up with a 100 suggestions and end up confusing yourself even more.

To ensure you have no focusing issues, a focusing chart may be useful,

You can download a free self-standing chart:

http://www.invisicord.com/docs/invisicordfocuschart.pdf

invisicordfocuschart1.jpg

Try to print this out on the thickest paper you have and give it a go wide-open with very good lighting.

Focus on where it says 'focus', check the image to see if the focus is shifted forwards or backwards

Could be too large an aperture for what you're shooting? Need an example photo with EXIF data to be sure...

Back