Canon 400D upgrade help

Edit My Images
No
Hello :)

I have a Canon 400D that I've had for some time but I'm thinking about upgrading. I've always been happy with it and would like to stick with Canon and be able to use my EFS 55-250 lens and extension kits. I don't have a very large budget, but I want to end up with something better than what I already have. I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of the current Canon models available and could suggest what might be best? I do mostly outdoor, nature and macro.

How about a mintish, low shutter count, used 7D Mk II or 80D? You should notice a big difference between one of those and your 400D, if your budget will stretch that far.

Hello Pierat

The answer may depend on what your budget is for upgrading?
Obviously if you plan to keep the 55-250 (which is a really good lens) then you are looking at another crop body.
Most obvious choices are going to give you about double the MP compared to what you have on the 400D.
Things to consider are do you want a newer bodies that give you a tilting screen that may help for macro work or would you prefer something like a used 7Dii that is really well built and weather sealed for working in bad weather conditions.

The 400d was my first digital DSLR - and enjoyed using it very much. As others have said - it'll depend on your budget - and whether you want to buy new or used.

Having a quick look at prices, I think the XDs and XXDs might be out of my price range. I would prefer to buy new if possible. Has canon followed their numbering pattern at all ie is a XXXD better than a XXXXD? Is a 250D better than a 400D?

Having a quick look at prices, I think the XDs and XXDs might be out of my price range. I would prefer to buy new if possible. Has canon followed their numbering pattern at all ie is a XXXD better than a XXXXD? Is a 250D better than a 400D?

It depends what you think of as 'better'. The 400D was a decent enough DSLR in its day (I had one too) but in terms of low light performance, dynamic range and megapixels it really is old hat by today's standards. Not that you can't still take a good looking photo with a 400D... it's just that it's easier to consistently take a good looking photo in less than ideal conditions with a modern DSLR.

Generally speaking, the lower the number the better the spec, with Canon... but that is in comparison with other cameras in their current range, so do check the spec and features of your 400D against whatever you are thinking about, to make sure you're not losing any features you currently use and like when looking at a replacement.

As for price, don't dismiss buying a used DSLR in mint-ish condition with a low shutter count (lightly used) from a long-established and reputable dealer, as you'll probably move up from a XXXD to a XXD by doing so, giving yourself better value for money. I think Wex and Harrison's Cameras (in Yorkshire) both give a 12 month warranty on most of their used DSLRs as standard, which is all you'd get from most approved Canon retailers if you bought brand new (apart from John Lewis who usually give a 2 year warranty). Over the years I've bought new cameras and used ones. I just look for the best value for money - if I can save a good chunk, or move up a model, and get a good, long, warranty, then I'll go for second hand.

Some people buy a new camera and find it doesn't suit them, others buy a new camera and subsequently discover that they can't really afford what they've spent, then they end up selling it after barely using it. Over the years I've saved a good chunk of cash by buying lightly-used (virtually mint) camera kit from reputable dealers, so do give it some thought, particularly if it enables you to move up a model range and you can genuinely make use of the quality and/or features this brings.

Last edited:
How much is your budget, this will give us a better idea as to what to suggest.

So I was originally looking because I thought my camera was broken. I don’t know if it’s just dirty but I don’t know any camera shops I can take it to find out. Once I started thinking about it I got all excited about a fancy new camera instead! I’ve seen a new 77D which is just over £600 which I might be able to stretch to.
I’ll admit I’ve not done much for a few years and forgotten much of what I knew about features and settings, but I want to learn. But I guess I don’t know whether my needs are camera or user based! I feel that my images are often not as sharp as I’d like and the results are often disappointing in low light. I do like the bokeh affect on my canon.

I upgraded my 450D with the 77D. It’s a decent camera and the sensor is the first that showed a major improvement. The only downside is that it can feel a bit “plasticky”.

You should be able to pick up a used 80D for your budget but totally understandable if you want peace of mind with a warranty on a 77D.
I've previously owned a mk1 and mk2 EF-S 50-250 and although it's not a bad budget lens, I'm not sure you will see much difference with a newer body.
By all means buy a 77D and see how it goes with your current lens but it may be worth investing in a dedicated marco lens as well.

I still have my 400D. My first upgrade sometime ago was to a 70D which is still going strong and I use the old 55-250 on it a lot for my wife. My second upgrade cost me much much more, but that's for another day. I think you'd find the 77D a vast improvement over you 400D if you want to stick to your price range and buy new.

I’ve not had any luck yet finding a place to fix/clean my current camera so it’s a bit useless at the moment!

There is a big line on all my photos, reminds me of a crack in the windscreen!

That sounds bad, it’s probably not worth repairing. If you’re prepared to wait until Black Friday there should be some good deals to be had.

I was half hoping it was a hair inside, but I don’t really know. Due to the age of the camera this is why I thought maybe I should look at new ones

77d

anything more expensive then i would skip the 80d and 7d mk 2 and get a 90d instead

Take a photo of the white sky or something which shows the line and post it here.

Here, at the bottom. Same with both of my lenses.

Attachments

• IMG_7033.JPG
    IMG_7033.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 17
That looks like a hair on the sensor. Should be straightforward to remove that. Doesn’t look like a damaged camera. Depends on how confident you are - but if you set the camera to manual clean - the mirror will lock up -and if you’ve got a blower tool you can hold the camera exposed lens hole facing down - and then giving it a blast of air. If the hair isn’t caught on anything it should come out. If you don’t feel confident though most camera stores would be able to get it out. 25A06D46-BDE7-4273-8F0D-EE85003FA0BB.png

Back