Canon 400D - upgrade info required...

Name
Nicole
Edit My Images
No
Hey Peeps,

I’m new to this forum...I’m an amateur photographer and I’m currently using a Canon 400D but I feel it’s time I upgraded my camera body, does anyone have any advice? I mainly photograph landscapes/seascapes and flowers..any advice would be greatfully received :) thanks in advance :)

Usually the question that is put to people in this situation is: Why do you want to upgrade? What features does your current camera lack that are hindering you from making the images you want?

What lenses do you currently have? Are you committed to Canon or would you explore other brands?

It really depends on budget, used or new and if staying with canon.

Otherwise recommendations will be all over the place.

Thanks, I definitely want to stay with canon as I have mainly canon lenses, I use an 18-55mm, 75-300mm and for flower work a 50mm, I’d like to have touchscreen options on the display panel if poss and ideally under £1000. My current body is just a bit old and slow.

Thanks, I definitely want to stay with canon as I have mainly canon lenses, I use an 18-55mm, 75-300mm and for flower work a 50mm, I’d like to have touchscreen options on the display panel if poss and ideally under £1000. My current body is just a bit old and slow.
Sounds like your best option is the 80D.

That said, if you can live without your 18-55, the last of the 6D cameras are very cheap right now and have (to my eye) spectacular image quality.

Last edited:

If it was me with 1K to spend I'd be looking at the used XXD and XXXD bodies and perhaps either a 10-22 or 10-18 super wide angle lens for landscapes.
Not everyone favours a super wide angle lens for landscapes but I loved the 10-22 when I owned one and I've just bought the 10-18 IS version from a member on here.

If it was me with 1K to spend I'd be looking at the used XXD and XXXD bodies and perhaps either a 10-22 or 10-18 super wide angle lens for landscapes.
Not everyone favours a super wide angle lens for landscapes but I loved the 10-22 when I owned one and I've just bought the 10-18 IS version from a member on here.
And what a little gem the 10-18 is!

Maybe 80d or 77d. Big improvement on 400d

Would she gain any IQ with either of those with her current lenses?

Well, more pixels and better noise control are compelling enough reasons.
That and a whole host of new tech to make life easier.

140% higher resolution.

900% higher maximum iso ( plus far better iso performance at all settings that the 400d does go to )

Higher color depth and dynamic range.

Newer processors and such like.

Well, more pixels and better noise control are compelling enough reasons.
That and a whole host of new tech to make life easier.

Well yes there is that but I'm guessing she has the original 18-55 non IS version that came with the 400D although I could be wrong.
I'd be inclined to look the 750/760D and the newer 18-55 IS STM version and she'd still have a few quid left over to treat her partner to a nice meal :)

Body is only part of the equation. You may also want to think about upgrading from the kit lens, which is fine but there are better options. The 17-55 f2.8 for instance.

80D would be a good, noticeable improvement though. And you'll be able to use your current lenses with it.

This is fab, thanks peeps!

Would people consider a second hand body and/or upgraded lens with IS? As much as I’d like to upgrade if I can make it cheaper that would be good too!

Ohh thanks, I’ll take a look. I have thought about a macro lens but as an amateur I didn’t want to get loads of different lenses, however I’m now hoping to try and start selling my work so I reckon I can justify a new lens the add to the collection :)

Have a look at the Canon 60mm F2.8 Macro, I have used a friend's one a number of times - VERY nice lens for the money!
If you did think of going full frame then the Canon 100 F2.8 Macro (non L) is another very good (and fairly cheap) option. It works great on crop sensor cameras too but you will need a bit more working distance which might not be ideal for flowers - good for insects though.

Both of these lenses are also great for portraits and landscapes as well.

Back