Canon 400mm f4 DO mk 2...sensible price now?

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
Just seen an ad from Digital Rev where the above is available in the UK for £4600...now I'm not wanting to get in to an argument about the rights and wrongs of D Rev ...that's been done to death, but it seems to me that even if you have to pay the taxes on import, this is a very good buy as the cheapest UK source I can see is £6900!!

I can say from personal experience that this is a superb lens, even better than the mk1 (which IMHO was largely unfairly maligned!) and on the 1 Dx works superbly with both a 1.4 and 2x converter.......and is a very serious alternative for sports and wildlife to the 300 f 2.8 mk2 and a lot lighter than the 500 f4.........now worth a serious look!!

George.

Must admit I quite like the idea of owning one of these.

Ha, I wonder how many we'd need to buy as a group purchase to get the price down to £4K? :)

Sadly we are at different ends of the planet (well...almost!!) otherwise you'd be welcome to have a shot, Gary!!

...but Jim isn't!!....any time, Jim!

Your not the only one pal.

Thanks George. Buying one is not the issue. Its justifying having a 500 and a 400. The main reason why I've never bought a 300 f2.8 MkII. Hired one, fantastic lens but hard to spend £5000 on something I would use now and again.

But my 500 is getting on a bit!!

Thanks George. Buying one is not the issue. Its justifying having a 500 and a 400. The main reason why I've never bought a 300 f2.8 MkII. Hired one, fantastic lens but hard to spend £5000 on something I would use now and again.

But my 500 is getting on a bit!!

I've looked at replacing the 500mm with a 400mm DO or 300mm f/2.8IS II mate on my aim to downsize gear in both size and it will give it another use to me other than wildlife, but don't know if I could give up the 500mm, I've heard so much about the 300mm f/2.8 MK II being sharp as... I dare to look into one any further :D

Well, I had the 300 2.8 mk2 and then I got the 400 DO mk2, and I sold the 300 as I just didn't use it, loved the lens, but did some tests and really the new DO is for me as sharp as the 300....I KNOW ON PAPER IT ISN'T BUT IN REAL LIFE (oops sorry!) I couldn't tell the difference, and I use the 1.4 and 2x mk3 extenders on it so I have 560@5.6 with no noticeable decrease in AF speed or quality, and only a small af speed reduction at f8 with the 2x.....but of course I lose all but the 3 centre point options.
For BIF that's a bit of a problem, but for slower moving animals etc it's fine, and the weight reduction is fantastic!...(over the 500 plus 1.4).

However at the current UK price of £6900 it's crazy, hence my starting this thread!!

George.

Well, I had the 300 2.8 mk2 and then I got the 400 DO mk2, and I sold the 300 as I just didn't use it, loved the lens, but did some tests and really the new DO is for me as sharp as the 300....I KNOW ON PAPER IT ISN'T BUT IN REAL LIFE (oops sorry!) I couldn't tell the difference, and I use the 1.4 and 2x mk3 extenders on it so I have 560@5.6 with no noticeable decrease in AF speed or quality, and only a small af speed reduction at f8 with the 2x.....but of course I lose all but the 3 centre point options.
For BIF that's a bit of a problem, but for slower moving animals etc it's fine, and the weight reduction is fantastic!...(over the 500 plus 1.4).

However at the current UK price of £6900 it's crazy, hence my starting this thread!!

George.

Have you ever used the 400mm f/4 DO IS Mark 1 George? Would be interesting to see how much it is a upgrade over its previous mode as I can't see to find much on online comparing the two.

Have you ever used the 400mm f/4 DO IS Mark 1 George? Would be interesting to see how much it is a upgrade over its previous mode as I can't see to find much on online comparing the two.

Yes, Joe, I need as compact (relatively) kit as I can as I travel a lot and can be subject to the vagrancies of small local airlines in Africa and India, for instance, and I bought about 5 yrs ago a good and hardly used mk1 400 DO, which I had the chance to try out and MFA before I bought it.
It served me very well, and again I used it both on it's own and with the 1.4 and 2x extenders a lot.
If Canon hadn't brought out the mk2 400 DO, I'd still have it, the main difference is that the new one is a bit sharper and less subject to flare (you could get round that if you were careful and I always use a hood anyway) but the big difference is in the IS of course, and it's quite possible even for an old guy like me to hand hold for a reasonable length of time if necessary!

I was fortunate in that I got a very good price for my mk1 although the prices have softened quite a bit since then, so the upgrade wasn't so painful!

Neither the mk1 or the mk2 get much coverage in the press, however if you go to the B and H website you'll see reviews of the mk2 and every one is extremely positive.

I'm going to be really interested in the 600 f4 DO which was previewed at one of the recent shows, but I suspect the price will be frightening!!

Yes, Joe, I need as compact (relatively) kit as I can as I travel a lot and can be subject to the vagrancies of small local airlines in Africa and India, for instance, and I bought about 5 yrs ago a good and hardly used mk1 400 DO, which I had the chance to try out and MFA before I bought it.
It served me very well, and again I used it both on it's own and with the 1.4 and 2x extenders a lot.
If Canon hadn't brought out the mk2 400 DO, I'd still have it, the main difference is that the new one is a bit sharper and less subject to flare (you could get round that if you were careful and I always use a hood anyway) but the big difference is in the IS of course, and it's quite possible even for an old guy like me to hand hold for a reasonable length of time if necessary!

I was fortunate in that I got a very good price for my mk1 although the prices have softened quite a bit since then, so the upgrade wasn't so painful!

Neither the mk1 or the mk2 get much coverage in the press, however if you go to the B and H website you'll see reviews of the mk2 and every one is extremely positive.

I'm going to be really interested in the 600 f4 DO which was previewed at one of the recent shows, but I suspect the price will be frightening!!

Hi George,

Thanks for the input really nice to hear as its hard to find info on these lenses, I've been looking at the Marks 1's recently as the price seems rather nice indeed for them these days, I like you travel alot and weight/size for my hand luggage is one of my biggest issues like yourself, I'm going away again in a weeks time and not taking the 500mm simply because I don't have the space to take it along with my other lenses for landscape and spare bodies etc. which will be a pain as I'll be limited to the 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM for the Flamingo & Stork shots which I don't like the idea of, this is why I want to look into this 400mm DO lens more as I could have took that with me allowing me to get 640mm on the 7D2 only 140mm less than the 500mm on the 7D2...or 896mm with the 1.4x converter for a compact high IQ Lens would a dream or hook it up with a 5Dsr which would be the ultimate cropping set up. I think for now the Mk2 400mm is out of budget due to cuts with University coming up as it is, but again this is all food for thought! The 600mm looks like a dream of a lens but I imagine that's got to be at least 11/12k!!!! :D

Joe

Joe, I think a good mk1 would be a nice lens to have, and as you say, they are going for a reasonable price...but try and get as late a lens as you can, the earlier ones had, rightly or wrongly, some poor reviews, mine was a 2010 lens.

one thing I'd say...I really couldn't get the mk2 plus a 2x to work with the 7D2 which I used to have, just was cr*p for some reason in spite of MFA adjustments etc, but as you possibly saw I couldn't get on with either of my 7 D2 bodies, you might well be fine!

George

I've looked at replacing the 500mm with a 400mm DO or 300mm f/2.8IS II mate on my aim to downsize gear in both size and it will give it another use to me other than wildlife, but don't know if I could give up the 500mm, I've heard so much about the 300mm f/2.8 MK II being sharp as... I dare to look into one any further :D

I hired a 300 Joe last year to go to Scotland for the ospreys. It was just fabulous. Image quality and speed of AF. Paired with the 1DX it just seemed as though I couldn't take an OOF shot. I have a friend who pairs one with both a 1.4 and a 2x on a 5d3 and gets some cracking results with it. Link to his Flickr site below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobite1746/

I must admit that although the idea of the 300 plus converters has often attracted me I have always been reluctant to give up the 500.

1. Because even though it's a MK1 its still a great lens.

2. It has a sentimental value to me.

I hired a 300 Joe last year to go to Scotland for the ospreys. It was just fabulous. Image quality and speed of AF. Paired with the 1DX it just seemed as though I couldn't take an OOF shot. I have a friend who pairs one with both a 1.4 and a 2x on a 5d3 and gets some cracking results with it. Link to his Flickr site below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobite1746/

I must admit that although the idea of the 300 plus converters has often attracted me I have always been reluctant to give up the 500.

1. Because even though it's a MK1 its still a great lens.

2. It has a sentimental value to me.

Would you say the IQ is noticeably different to the 500mm along with the AF speed? I'm highly tempted I must admit to get a Canon 300mm f/2.8IS II or Canon 400mm f/4DO IS I as I mostly shoot now 70% of my stuff abroad I just admit so would be a dream to travel with... l've just had a look at his flickr, some good sharp work on there dropped him a follow aswell. No doubt the 500mm is a great lens as you say but I think it comes down to future planning with me, When I'm going to be stuck in a city for 3 years the only wildlife I'm going to photograph is trips abroad or somewhere I will fly too so that makes the 300/400mm look the sensible route to go down if that is the case.

I've had all the above lenses, and as I said have now only got the 400DO 2.

If I had to have one of the others, it would be the 300 2.8 mk2 rather than one of the first series.......af better, IS much better, lighter, works superbly with 1.4 and 2x mk3 extenders, BUT only gives me (as all FF) 600mm....hence my binning the others and going for the 400 DO mk2.
Prior to the mk2 coming out, I had both the 300 2.8 mk1 and the 400 DO mk1. Depended what I was going to be shooting, for instance otters in Shetland I took the 400 plus extenders for the reach, but in the Pantenal for jaguars I took the 300 mk2 plus extenders for the ultimate quality and I didn't need the reach.

I now have the new 100-400 mk2 and use that most of the time, a great lens for the money and so light and versatile, and I have the 400 f4 plus extenders for a combination of lightness and reach if necessary.
Travelling gear is those 2 lenses plus a 24-70 2.8 and the 1 Dx and at the moment a 1D4....all works pretty well.

George.

PS I realise the 1 D4 is crop, it's a temporary measure at the moment..will be replaced soon.

Last edited:
I've had all the above lenses, and as I said have now only got the 400DO 2.

If I had to have one of the others, it would be the 300 2.8 mk2 rather than one of the first series.......af better, IS much better, lighter, works superbly with 1.4 and 2x mk3 extenders, BUT only gives me (as all FF) 600mm....hence my binning the others and going for the 400 DO mk2.
Prior to the mk2 coming out, I had both the 300 2.8 mk1 and the 400 DO mk1. Depended what I was going to be shooting, for instance otters in Shetland I took the 400 plus extenders for the reach, but in the Pantenal for jaguars I took the 300 mk2 plus extenders for the ultimate quality and I didn't need the reach.

I now have the new 100-400 mk2 and use that most of the time, a great lens for the money and so light and versatile, and I have the 400 f4 plus extenders for a combination of lightness and reach if necessary.
Travelling gear is those 2 lenses plus a 24-70 2.8 and the 1 Dx and at the moment a 1D4....all works pretty well.

George.

PS I realise the 1 D4 is crop, it's a temporary measure at the moment..will be replaced soon.

Out of pure interest George could you share a couple of shots with the 400mm f/4 DO Mark 1? Seeing loads online for sub £1800, which is quite a bargain in my view...very tempted to get one to test out and maybe replace a few of my lenses!

Delighted to, Joe, could you wait till next week as this weekend is a bit busy?.....best if I get your email address and send the RAW files via "we transfer" perhaps?

Ok, Joe, got it......will advise you when I get a chance, prob Mon if that's ok?....they'll be with a 1 Dx if that's ok.

Would you say the IQ is noticeably different to the 500mm along with the AF speed? I'm highly tempted I must admit to get a Canon 300mm f/2.8IS II or Canon 400mm f/4DO IS I as I mostly shoot now 70% of my stuff abroad I just admit so would be a dream to travel with... l've just had a look at his flickr, some good sharp work on there dropped him a follow aswell. No doubt the 500mm is a great lens as you say but I think it comes down to future planning with me, When I'm going to be stuck in a city for 3 years the only wildlife I'm going to photograph is trips abroad or somewhere I will fly too so that makes the 300/400mm look the sensible route to go down if that is the case.

I think the image quality edges my 500 Joe. AF is very fast and i used it hand held all week with absolutely no problem. I've used 500 MkI, 500 MkII, 600 MkI and the 300 MkII and I in my view the 300 was the best of them all. If I didnt have the 500 I would consider the 300 or, after reading George's comments the 400 DO.

I've been using my 100-400 MkII quite a lot and its a lovely lens for the money and with the high ISO handling of the 1DX isnt too much of a compromise in low light with the 4 stop IS.

The 300/400 would make a nice retirement present though!!

I think the image quality edges my 500 Joe. AF is very fast and i used it hand held all week with absolutely no problem. I've used 500 MkI, 500 MkII, 600 MkI and the 300 MkII and I in my view the 300 was the best of them all. If I didnt have the 500 I would consider the 300 or, after reading George's comments the 400 DO.

I've been using my 100-400 MkII quite a lot and its a lovely lens for the money and with the high ISO handling of the 1DX isnt too much of a compromise in low light with the 4 stop IS.

Interesting to hear pal, I think the 300mm would be nice or the 400mm to the collection but that would raise questions about the 500mm value in my kit bag, all food for thought at the end of the day...

Thats a good reason for getting one, I can't use that excuse for many more years yet damn! :D

Just as a small (and fairly irrelevant) aside on this, I've really, over the last 18 months rationalised my lenses to the ones I use.....as follows..

11-24 f4
24-75 f2.8 mk2 (and I don't envisage needing IS on this even if it was available!!)
100-400 mk2
400 DO mk2
2x 1.4x extenders
1x 2x extender.

Reason?...can be carried most places, good reach if necessary, and can take silly ones with the 11mm!!..and I've more money for travelling!!

George.

Out of pure interest George could you share a couple of shots with the 400mm f/4 DO Mark 1? Seeing loads online for sub £1800, which is quite a bargain in my view...very tempted to get one to test out and maybe replace a few of my lenses!

Delighted to, Joe, could you wait till next week as this weekend is a bit busy?.....best if I get your email address and send the RAW files via "we transfer" perhaps?

Would it be possible that the shots could be shared in here too? I am super interested in this lens as well and like Joe has already pointed out, quite rightly, the mk1 of the 400 DO seems to be sub £1800 now which seems like good value for a longer tele these days. Many thanks in advance if this is ok :)

OK, Antony, of course I will, if you PM me your email address I'll do it early next week to both of you, but a word of caution...I was very happy with the one I had, but I'd try and test any one you buy before committing as there seems to be a discrepancy in individual lenses particularly in the earlier ones.

Don't blame me if you have a problem!!

George.

OK, Antony, of course I will, if you PM me your email address I'll do it early next week to both of you, but a word of caution...I was very happy with the one I had, but I'd try and test any one you buy before committing as there seems to be a discrepancy in individual lenses particularly in the earlier ones.

Don't blame me if you have a problem!!

George.

Most kind of you, thanks! :)

Email address sent :)

Last edited:
...and both received, will do ASAP!!

Files gone now, guys, you should have an email with the link.

Must say looking at the images I'm fairly impressed with, Until I looked at the data I didn't realise that the first shot of the otter was taken with the 2x III mounted to the camera, second shot without the converter is lovely and sharp I must say, I think for the price the lens sells at now this is something I will have to have a good think about...

Thanks again

Joe

Must say looking at the images I'm fairly impressed with, Until I looked at the data I didn't realise that the first shot of the otter was taken with the 2x III mounted to the camera, second shot without the converter is lovely and sharp I must say, I think for the price the lens sells at now this is something I will have to have a good think about...

Thanks again

Joe
..and the comparison with the 300 mk2 both with converters is interesting, I think, Joe.

Sorry meant to say that 300 2.8 mk2 hadn't been MFA on my body, it wasn't mine, belonged to a friend I was staying with..

Back