Canon 40D or 50D as first DSLR

Name
Gary Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
I hope I have posted this message in the correct forum sub group apologies if not.

Over the last few month I have grown in interest in photography. My current camera is a Panasonic DMC-LZ30 bridge camera which upto this point has been a good little camera for me but I want something more customisable to learn the various setting and experiment with and actually develop as a photographer(no pun intended).

The two cameras that sort of fit my budget and needs best are the Canon 40D or Canon 50D. I appreciate these are old cameras and I could probably get better with a beginner model of a more modern camera, but I want something cheap but decent quality but without being all singing and dancing so I can learn without the automation of a more modern camera.

From what I have read from various reviews is the 40D and 50D are not that much apart in specification(more MP and better processors on the 50D) but for what I am looking for that isn't really that important in real world terms and although both cheap to buy the 50D is around twice the price of a 40D which that extra money saved could be invested in an extra lens or a battery grip.

What my thinking is that I will learn on a cheaper older camera whilst I'm learning and my photography won't be the best standard, but once I have learnt more then upgrade to a better camera where the improvement in hardware will be more noticeable.
Anyway after a long first post on here my main question is the Canon 50D that much better than the 40D that it is worth paying more for or will a 40D be an ok camera to learn on?

*I have found several Canon 40D cameras with a shutter count of around 12-15k and cost around £40.

*The reason I am going for Canon rather than another brand is my Dad has several Canon cameras and he said he will sort a couple of his older lenses out for me to use and also my Grandad has had canon Cameras for as long as I can remember(I'm 39yo), originally a Canon film SLR and he now has a Canon 400D which he has owned since it was released, so in A me being me sort of way I have some loyalty and fond memories of Canon cameras.

I had a 40D for a number of years and it was and probably still is a very good camera.

Yes modern cameras are much better now in terms of low light performance but the 40D is an excellent choice to learn on.

As for the 50D, I've never used one but did consider upgrading to one but decided the difference between them wasn't worth the money.

I eventually upgraded to a 6D full frame camera which was a significant jump in both performance and quality.

I had a 40D for a number of years and it was and probably still is a very good camera.

Yes modern cameras are much better now in terms of low light performance but the 40D is an excellent choice to learn on.

As for the 50D, I've never used one but did consider upgrading to one but decided the difference between them wasn't worth the money.

I eventually upgraded to a 6D full frame camera which was a significant jump in both performance and quality.
Thank you for the reply.
That was my thinking in regard to the difference between a 40D and 50D they really do seem very similar especially for a beginner like me who probably wouldn't notice much different.

Just a personal “ick” but I hate low resolution screens on the back so I would opt for the 50D which has a higher resolution. Is it worth the extra money is only something you can decide.

Some years back I was considering an upgrade from my Canon 350D to a 50D, about that time the 7D was launched and was so much of an advance over the 50D I splashed out and bought one which I still use. Often there is not a lot of difference in prices of older models so depending on your budget perhaps consider a 7D

I loved my 40D, wish I still had it. I often look at used ones but I'm being nostalgic too.

I 'upgraded' to a 7D, which was a big upgrade, except for the sensor. The 40D's was much better IMHO.

The 50D though has to be a logical upgrade to the 40D.

You have not mentioned what subjects you like to photograph
At the moment I don't even know what subjects to be honest, up to now it has mainly been pictures of my kids, days out or pretty random photos. I like B&W photos and street photography takes my fancy but I'm not sure I'm confident enough for street photography!
I loved your photos by the way, from a camera point of view the image quality is brilliant which I am pleasantly surprised with.

You are on the right track looking at an X0D, rather than one of the lower models. My advice would always be to prioritise lenses, so I'd go for a 40D then keep some money back for a lens. FWIW I have never been a fan of battery grips, it is easy enough to keep a spare battery in your pocket and to swap it over.

You are on the right track looking at an X0D, rather than one of the lower models. My advice would always be to prioritise lenses, so I'd go for a 40D then keep some money back for a lens. FWIW I have never been a fan of battery grips, it is easy enough to keep a spare battery in your pocket and to swap it over.
Thank you, the main reason I was looking into battery grips is purely for ease of holding with my big daft hands I'm 6ft 5 and clumsy(I mean ridiculously clumsy, I broke my finger and cut it pretty deep about 2 month ago slamming it in my car door when I was getting my daughter out of the car ).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the older XXD models IMHO.

My first DSLR was a 600D which i got new. I subsequently bought a used 20D from a friend for £50 and I really liked it.

For whatever reason, even though it was an older camera, I thought it took much 'cleaner' images.

The advice about worrying more about the lens is good, I think. I did it the wrong way around and tried investing in 'better' cameras, but keeping the same old lenses. It's much better to get decent lenses and a not-so-good camera body.

Even the 18-55mm kit lens is a good starting point to give you a wide(ish) range if you like street photography and taking pics of your kids. I was lucky in that when I got my 600D, it came paired with the 18-135 STM lens. Which gave me more reach at the long end, while still being quite wide. It was a very good tarter lens.

The only thing I'd add to that is a half-decent flash. The pop-up ones on most cameras are not worth the bother in most instances. When I got a flash for my camera, I felt it transformed what was capable indoors. Still not 'pro' quality, but so, so much better than the pop-up.

Here's a link to my 20d album if you're at all interested. https://www.flickr.com/photos/119343618@N08/albums/72157706364663034 Most of these were taken with the 18-135 lens. And a select few with the very wide 10-22.

The only caveat I'd add to that is that when I sold my 600D, I figured that the latest version of the XXD cameras would be a significant step up - based on my experience of the 20D. SO I got the then new 80D, but I couldn't see that much difference between the 600d and the 80D to be honest. in some ways I preferred the simplicity of the 20D. I've not owned either the 40D or 50D, but I thought you might like to see that an EVEN older camera (2004) is still capable of taking decent shots. (Even if I'm not.)

Last edited:
A 40D or 50D is still a capable of taking lovely photographs. I had both. for a while. When I ugraded and got the original 7D, the 50D became the second / backup camera and my wife took over the 40D. Now I have an R7, the 7D2 has been taken over by my wife. Yes, the megapixel count is smaller than a modern camera, and the high ISO performance isn't as good as more modern cameras - but in good conditions they will take lovely photos.

I did a lot of sports photography with 40D and 50D. A battery grip made shooting marathons a bareable experience.

Last edited:
I have never owned a 40D or 50D, however I have watched many YouYube videos on people using both and the 40D, and 50D. With the 40D being a very popular DSLR and not much difference between the two with the 50D having 5mp bigger sensor, and a much higher res rear screen.

As mentioned above the 7D which was released I believe in the same year as the 50D and a much, much better DLSR all round. I have checked some price and the 50D in twice as expensive as the 40D and the 7D being over three times more expensive than the 40D. So I can see your appeal for buying the 40D.

However what really counts is the glass, you mentioned your father and grand father have canon glass, which is a big bonus for starting out.

What type or interests are you hoping to photograph as these lens choice will be relatively important ?

The only thing I'd add to that is a half-decent flash. The pop-up ones on most cameras are not worth the bother in most instances. When I got a flash for my camera, I felt it transformed what was capable indoors. Still not 'pro' quality, but so, so much better than the pop-up.

I wouldn't worry about flash just yet. Not until you decide what it is you like shooting.

When I was going through my phase of shooting anything and everything I thought I needed a flash and bought a 600EX-RT flash. I think I've only used it a few time and it now spends it's time languishing in a drawer.

I keep it as I know if I sell it, I'll need it for something.

I ‘ve had my 50D since 2010 or 11. Still a very capable camera (though it’s been a backup for my 7D2 for while now).

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about flash just yet. Not until you decide what it is you like shooting.

When I was going through my phase of shooting anything and everything I thought I needed a flash and bought a 600EX-RT flash. I think I've only used it a few time and it now spends it's time languishing in a drawer.

I keep it as I know if I sell it, I'll need it for something.

I was going off the fact the OP said 'pictures of my kids'

Many of my pics of my daughter were taken indoors. A cheap flash would help. Doesn't have to be a Canon version. But as you say - worth seeing if the need arises.

After I bought my flash I bought four others of varying sizes/outputs as I found it very useful.

Last edited:
What type or interests are you hoping to photograph as these lens choice will be relatively important ?
I live a few minutes drive away from Epping Forest(Essex, England)which I will most likely do a fair bit of photography in especially until I have my confidence up with photography. I like the idea of urban and street photography but I'm not sure I have the confidence for that or at least at the moment. On a more personal level the camera will be used a lot for taking photos of my kids, my daughter has just started primary school so sports days or such events, days out and holidays(normally head of to Cornwall one a year). For a lens I was thinking something along the lines of 18-55mm kit type lens and then possibly something along the lines of sigma 35-135mm? Which I think would be a good start and have quite a few scenarios covered(without going to crazy).

I had the 50D and rated it as one of canons best ,preferring it to my lads 7dmk1.. however for the same sort of money you might be better looking for a 1D.mkiii which was my favourite camera in the canon range at the time . I had four in total as each time I decided to upgrade I was lost without the mkiii and bought another to replace it .. if you can find one in GWO it will put you straight into pro level picture taking

I had the 50D and rated it as one of canons best ,preferring it to my lads 7dmk1.. however for the same sort of money you might be better looking for a 1D.mkiii which was my favourite camera in the canon range at the time . I had four in total as each time I decided to upgrade I was lost without the mkiii and bought another to replace it .. if you can find one in GWO it will put you straight into pro level picture taking

And it's big...

Although currently about 6 times the price.

Thank you, the main reason I was looking into battery grips is purely for ease of holding with my big daft hands I'm 6ft 5 and clumsy(I mean ridiculously clumsy, I broke my finger and cut it pretty deep about 2 month ago slamming it in my car door when I was getting my daughter out of the car ).

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your advice and help. I will certainly keep my eyes open for A 50D if it comes along within my price range if not then I am not as worried about A 40D been too dated as plenty of here seem to rate it highly. I'm hoping to buy one in the next week or so, I will try to keep you updated on what I manage to get hold of and give some feedback from my point of view once I have tried it out. The DSLR world is a bit intimidating entering from the outside, but the advice on here has pointed me in the right direction so thank you very much.

You will hardly be able to see any difference between a 40d and a more modern canon on prints up to A3 when using iso settings below 400. It is when you push things that differences begin to show. A 40d or 50d would be a great starter camera.

I had a 40D, in fact I still have it. I loved it and the results were very good if taken at lowish isos. It is well built and should stand up to your clumsiness! No hesitation in recommending it, but I am biased. I do not have a battery grip but if you can find one I expect they are relatively cheap.

I had a 40D, in fact I still have it. I loved it and the results were very good if taken at lowish isos. It is well built and should stand up to your clumsiness! No hesitation in recommending it, but I am biased. I do not have a battery grip but if you can find one I expect they are relatively cheap.
The battery grip on MPB is about £11.

In all honesty though a £50 starter budget is a tad low .. I presume you have a computer and the ability to process the files which is often overlooked

I live a few minutes drive away from Epping Forest(Essex, England)which I will most likely do a fair bit of photography in especially until I have my confidence up with photography. I like the idea of urban and street photography but I'm not sure I have the confidence for that or at least at the moment. On a more personal level the camera will be used a lot for taking photos of my kids, my daughter has just started primary school so sports days or such events, days out and holidays(normally head of to Cornwall one a year). For a lens I was thinking something along the lines of 18-55mm kit type lens and then possibly something along the lines of sigma 35-135mm? Which I think would be a good start and have quite a few scenarios covered(without going to crazy).
The lens available to you 18-55 & 35-135 are not bad selection really.
At Epping forest will this be woodland photography, perhaps some macro i.e glowing mushrooms ( watch YouTube videos for this, great fun ) or are you going after wildlife, ie birds, rabbits, deer etc ! ?

For family portraits the 18-55 is OK, though I believe from memory it has bad distortion. However, LightRoom or similar editing software will sort that out.

To really get the best from the camera just watch a lot of YouTube videos on your choosen theme and try to apply your camera &

I had a 40D that I bought new and sold when I bought a used 50D. I was glad I did.

15 MP is a lot more than 10, and the 50D already has Live View with improved autofocus, which is an advantage when shooting from a tripod.

This macro was taken with the 50D:

Last edited:
A Canon 18-55 IS kit lens and the 55-250 lens make quite an effective entry level combination
I was also going to suggest this combination - in fact I have been looking to pick up these lenses to go on my old 20D for my son to use.

Either camera will serve you well, at the time of these cameras digital imaging was still very much in its infancy as can be seen in the spec sheet, but once you understand their limitations and work within those limitations great images can be obtained.

I used a 40D for many years with either a 70-200/f4 or 100-400/f4-5.6 attached and used it very successfully for photographing athletics meetings, with images going in the local paper and on the club's website, the same camera/lens combination was also used for kids football just as successfully.

Buy the best quality camera you can afford, learn how to use it and then have fun making lots of memories.

I bought a 40D when it was launched and used it for aaaaaaggggesss. I just upgraded 2 months ago. I found the 40D very capable and printed at 16"×20" on a number of occasions and was quite happy with the results. I would go for the 40D and save for some good glass the lens quality make a difference ans there are plenty of good ef lenses on the second hand market check out the companies that include a warrenty may cost a little more but worth it imho
Which ever you choose enjoy it.

Last edited:
Just a little update, I today ordered a 50D online. I am now hunting the second hand market for a lens or two. I'm thinking A 18-55mm standard kit lens and possibly a shorter telephoto something along the lines of a sigma/tamrom 80-200mm(ish) with that as a start I can then get a better idea of how I will go from there and save for better quality lenses in a range that suits how I use the camera once I know fully what subject I enjoy using it most on(I hope that makes sense). Obviously that range leave a bit of a hole between 55mm-70/80mm range but my thoughts are that I can try a few different styles.

There's not necessarily a problem if there is a gap between lenses. I have heard good things about the Canon EF-S 55-250 regarding cheaper Canon telephoto lenses.

As above; the best bang for buck telezoom for Canon crop is the 55-250. And the best version of it is the STM.

But I never would have worried about a gap from 55-70 or 80. That’s a total non issue.

There's not necessarily a problem if there is a gap between lenses. I have heard good things about the Canon EF-S 55-250 regarding cheaper Canon telephoto lenses.
Agree, the 55-250 is a very capable lens. My wife borrowed one to use with her 80D for our trip to Zambia, got some nice shots with it.

Last edited:
Agree, the 55-250 is a very capable lens. My wife borrowed one to use with her 80D for our trip to Zambia, got some nice shots with it.

I bought one for travel with the M5 and it was perfectly acceptable. But it went the way of all my canon crop gear when I got the R6.

Just a little update, I today ordered a 50D online. I am now hunting the second hand market for a lens or two. I'm thinking A 18-55mm standard kit lens and possibly a shorter telephoto something along the lines of a sigma/tamrom 80-200mm(ish) with that as a start I can then get a better idea of how I will go from there and save for better quality lenses in a range that suits how I use the camera once I know fully what subject I enjoy using it most on(I hope that makes sense). Obviously that range leave a bit of a hole between 55mm-70/80mm range but my thoughts are that I can try a few different styles.
If you are not bothered about constant aperture look for the Canon 15-85 or the sigma 17-70 they are better than the 18-55 kit lens ( or they were )

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice on here. As with the camera I'm not in a major rush to purchase the lenses(although it will be frustrating having a camera without a lens lol) but I would rather buy the right equipment after doing my research than rush and buy the first thing I see. The help on here has been great and has been a huge part of my research on which camera(and now lenses) will fit my needs. Thank you all again.

Back