Canon 40D or Nikon D90. Help needed

well i guess thats life, when we have doubt at time we miss chance. Should check on MPB on used items, they all live stock and they are helpful and quick response as well.

Shops can be bad places for advice ... they tend to offer what the want/need to sell. or what will make them the most money/commission.

Thats why a forum such as this is always good to turn to. Some great advice on here from people who know about photography. (y)

well i guess thats life, when we have doubt at time we miss chance. Should check on MPB on used items, they all live stock and they are helpful and quick response as well.

Looked on there lots of times and i do like the idea of the 6 months warranty as i guess that will be the time when i would be using the camera quite a bit.

Is 20,000 actuations too high a number for a 2nd hand camera these days or is it only just started its life? I as because i haven't a clue.

their is one on MPB that have 2-3k shuuter actuations. Thats a good buy. 20k is not too high but not too low, but when a camera break it breaks so is not something that you can control.

But having the 6 months warranty can be good. Unless it breaks after the 6 months warranty!!

their is one on MPB that have 2-3k shuuter actuations. Thats a good buy. 20k is not too high but not too low, but when a camera break it breaks so is not something that you can control.

The camera's you are looking at are generally rated at around 100k. Obviously that's not gospel, but it should give you an idea. It also depends how the camera has been looked after.

you will be fine lol. My mate use his canon 20d from the first day the camera release, he still using it, so the camera can last ages. I won't worry about it. Hope you can buy your camera soon man.

Hope i can. I would have if the shop had sold it! Thats me dithering too much i guess. Thing is though, even now i have a little voice in my head shouting 40D to me all the time!!!! lol

I have exactly the same problem when spending a lot of money. I just keep reading reviews and user opinions and end up coming to the conclusion that both options are as good as each other all things considered, so the choice doesn't really matter. But there's always a nagging little voice saying that if you don't choose the right one I'll regret it.

In the end, the easiest way is just to leap on a good deal as soon as you find it, then you have the satisfaction of paying less than you expected which cancels out any unsubstantiated doubts that you went the wrong way ;)

But there are awesome deals to be had buying privately like in classifieds in good forums such as this (when i am eligible) but the only thing is the matter of being stuck if something goes wrong with no warranty to turn to.

Guys, a friend of a friend of a friend!! Has a mint D90 that he no longer wants. Apparently it has the kit lens, 18-105VR and he said has done less than 1,000 shots. It comes boxed with all bits.

He wants to know how much i am willing to pay for it. Obviously he wants as much as possible and i want to pay as little as possible!!

What would the going rate be for it in the condition described? Ta

Well, guess what?

I had the chance to try out a D90 today with the 18-105 lens for approx half an hour and i am glad i did!!! After half an hour i knew it wasn't for me. The ergonomics were all wrong for me. It didn't feel right in my paws!

I handled a Canon, all be it a 1100D and boy, that felt perfect!! Plus all the buttons felt like i had come home. The 60D felt awesome but i can't afford another mortgage!! lol.

I also tried a G2 and was very surprised by the clarity of the EVF as i hated it on others i have tried. Also the NX10. That felt great too.

So, back to drawing board for me.

Ideally i would love a 40D but can't find any within my price range etc (Can't wait to look on here when i qualify). The 1100D was lovely to hold and use. It was fast and clear and a good range on the ISO. I can see myself using one with a 50mm 1.8. If not, i may consider a G2 as it was small but handled really well. Slow AF yes but i liked the shots it took.

Getting a D90 has gone out the window. The handling was not right for 'me'.

Last edited:
You do know you 'qualify' for the classifieds don't you?

You're well over the 25 post limit!

Need to be here for 60 days i think

Anyway, been looking at Canon and Panasonic as they both feel 'right'.

Looked at 1100D and that feels awesome in the hand. All the buttons etc are in the right place. Guess the 500D has the same feel!! The G2 from Pany looked nice too. EVF strange to get used to though. I do prefer an Optical thingy anyway.

Not sure if spending X amount on an 'Old' 40D with lots of actuations is a good investment. Thought a 500D might be a better option.

Last edited:
Nope. Most 500d's will be used anyway as canon no longer make them. A used 40d is a far better buy.

The G2 isn't comparable. Titally different canera. It has a tiny sensor and will give you lots of noise at high iso.

Last edited:
Not sure if spending X amount on an 'Old' 40D with lots of actuations is a good investment. Thought a 500D might be a better option.

You've got to remember that the 40d was retailing at around £1k in its day. And also that the xxd series is built sturdier than the xxxd series.

Totally get what you're saying. I'm very much the same. I research things for ages until I take the plunge, and I rarely buy anything secondhand, especially when the price starts running into the hundreds. There's always that 'what if'..

I just got a 30d from the classifieds to replace my 350d, and I was reluctant because of the age...because the 30d is not meant to be much of an upgrade over the 20d (which uses the same sensor as the 350d!)...and generally because I wasn't sure if it was an upgrade at all.

After playing with it. It's a completely different camera. Very noticeable difference in size and build quality. Much more flexible controls. And even the colours seem to pop a little more.

There's certainly pros and cons to each. Having used the 350d for about 6 years now, I thought there'd be barely any transition. Fact is I had to get the instruction manual out to work out how to change the shutter speed... And whilst it's not completely intuitive at first, I'm impressed with Canon's layout on the controls. So much easier to use once you know what you're doing. But you can see why things are designed that way on that camera, and not designed that way on my 350d. The xxxd series is a lot more intuitive for a novice. The xxd series could genuinely confuse a novice. But what a great bit of kit.

I certainly wouldn't say one is better than the other. It just comes down to what you'll be happier with.

As above as well. I'm in the market for a second camera and have reached apoint where it's a choice between two and have been hesitant incase I make the wrong choice. However I expect that any of the choices are going to present me with a piece of kit that will more than match my ability for now so it's just making a choice and going for it and think you need to do the same.

The 40D is my choice (unless I can find a 50D for similar money as I think the higher ISO handling might be worth it when photographing gorillas) so it's just a case of grabbing the bull by the horns and buying something. The longer you spend wondering and looking the more options you present yourself to add to the confusion, and the more options you miss out on.

I have the chance to buy either of the following cameras but have decided to go with the Canon

Nikon D90 with the kit 18-105 lens £470

or

Canon 40D with a 50mm lens £375 (Lens newly bought)
Both are from private sales

Have i made the right choice? :thinking:

Only you can say, once you've been out and taken some photos.

You've honestly worried about this too much, I think you are the sort that would never be happy making a solid decision and keeping by it!

Just enjoy the camera when you get it.

I did the same as you when choosing my first camera - I dithered and read and stalled...and finally on a spur bought a D40. Upgraded a year later to a D90 because although the camera felt right and everything, I wanted more control, I wanted the bracketing feature, I wanted more megapixels. Love the D90 now - wish I'd bought more sensibly in the first place. You'll get on great with your new camera - just get out and start snapping. Play around with settings and you'll soon have the hang of it!

Going to buy a 2nd hand 50D from my local camera shop for £480, body only, 12 months warranty!! Yikes

Last edited:
Lol thought you had already ordered a 40d??!

Good choice though, stick by it and let's see some pics from it!

Going to buy a 2nd hand 50D fro my local camera shop for £480, body only, 12 months warranty!! Yikes

(y)(y)(y)

edit:
if you can stretch to a 7D, it will be better...LOL

Last edited:
Really? I would have said a 1dmk4 myself but hey!

Last edited:
Yea, got the 50D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12months warranty too! 2nd hand. Paid £495 for it in the end

50mm 1.8 coming tomorrow. £65

Changed my mind on the 40D as it was without a warranty and anything could happen after it is bought with nowhere to turn.

Going to order a Lexar reader for it now.

So, will try the camera out and see how i get on. Just need the lens now.

Last edited:
Any hints and tips about the camera? Can't wait to get the 50mm 1.8 tomorrow!!

Last edited:
My tip would be to make use of the C1 and C2 modes.
They're really very useful once you set them up, they allow you to store a set of camera settings so you can move to those settings just by turning the mode dial.

And make sure you turn off Highlight Tone Priority (HTP) and Automatic Lighting Optimisation (ALO) off in the menus. This can create more problems than it solves!

And make sure you turn off Highlight Tone Priority (HTP) and Automatic Lighting Optimisation (ALO) off in the menus. This can create more problems than it solves!

What are they?

Also, is AF the best to learn with

Technical things that get in the way, and can induce noise (the manual will explain them better than I can!).

Use AF, that's what you'd shoot with 99.9% of the time, not sure why you wouldnt want to 'learn' without it?

william1980 said:
absolutely, D90, I love it and i'am now using it. Its great! u can check my photo out in my blog Here

Bit late!

Technical things that get in the way, and can induce noise (the manual will explain them better than I can!).

Use AF, that's what you'd shoot with 99.9% of the time, not sure why you wouldnt want to 'learn' without it?

Didn't get the manual but have it on PDF and CD. What page?

Lol don't know, I havnt picked up the manual since I bought it!

I'm sure it's in the index though?

What would the heading be? Ta

Edit: Found them!!

Just disabled them. Ta

Last edited:
Back