CANON 40D VIDEO?

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
Yes
Heard that you can film on a 40D with some custom firmware , 24fps just without sound :confused:

Has anyone actually tried this custom firmware?
And where to get it from!

Nope, it's supposedly and ongoing project from CHDK. They develop firmware hacks for canon cameras, and it's theoretically possible to record on a 40D since it has live view but according to their website the 40D firmware is particularly hard to hack for some reason and their last post on the subject was 3 or so years ago saying they were still looking for a way in. So I'd be surprised if we'll ever see CHDK for the 40D now.

However, it is possible to record with the 40D tethered to a computer, here is a link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/

You need EOS utility installed to run it, and it basically just takes the output that goes to EOS utility for computer controlling the camera and records it.

Last edited:
Ah I see ,

Really wanted to get into some videography! , was looking at upgrading to the 7D if There wasn't any custom firmware coming out soon... :/

Thanks for the help anyway :)

could always pick up a cheaper option as a second body - like the 550D

or even a video camera ;)

Or a Canon 50D which is only about £150 more than a Canon 40D.

So it does - cheers.
We've a 40D, 50D, 400D and 600D in the family at the moment. Magic Lantern looks like a big learning curve, so I might just stick to the 600D :D

Back