Canon 500D

Name
Owen
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of buying a Canon 500D but have heard the AF in movie mode can be quite loud therefore ruining the movie? anyone had handsome experience with this camera? don't really want to spend anymore that £500, Jessops currently have a deal with 75-300mm lens and smaller lens for £469.99 they also are selling the 1100D... is this a better camera as its newer? i do want the bigger lens but can't afford to buy it separately, although my girlfriend does have this lens, am i better off getting the 1100D and using my girlfriends lens or getting the 500D and putting up with the loud AF.

Moving from a Nikon J1 by the way, thanks for your help.

Owen

The lens has the af motor built in. Some lenses are noisier than others. The better ones are USM where the motor is ultrasonic so you don't hear it.

In movie mode the camera won't refocus unless the mirror can flip back up which causes a 1second or so freeze in the recording. All slr cameras are like this apart from some sonys which have a translucent mirror.

The 500d is older but still a better camera than a 1100.

Ok thanks for that... would i hear any motor noise if i use MF? also, since i put the first post up i have been looking at the 550D is this a much better camera than the 500D?

In MF you will probably still hear he IS if it's turned on but that's pretty quiet and is more of a whirring noise.

For video the 550d is better than the 500d as you get more control. 500d is completely automatic, the 550d you get control over some settings. Of course, if you use magic lantern software you can get full control over the 550d and more control over the 500d.

The MF should be fairly quiet as mentioned above.

I have the 500D and the kit lens in AF, in video mode is really quite noisy. It's fairly quiet though when using MF but still not the quietest in my opinion.

With a non IS lens and manual focus you wont hear any noise from the lens, in autofocus mode you will hear noise, more so from kit lenses.

As for buying, look in the classifieds for a good secondhand one with a kit lens and buy a tamron 70-300 for now, that lens is sharper than the canon 75-300.. you should be able to pick up the lot for £500

NB.. just looked at prices online, you can pick up the 500D + 18-55mm for between £320-£390 or body only for around £255 if you shop around, the tamron will set you back about £120 so all within your budget

ok thanks guys really appriciate your comments, people with a 500D... is the video in 1080p 20fps that bad?

My dilemma is... buying the 550D (better & newer camera) and being able to buy a bigger lens at a later date, or buy the 500D (older not as good camera) with the lens, i think im swaying more towards having to upgrade the lens in the future and not the camera, if you guys where in my shoes what would you do?

Generally you would always buy the better lenses first for best performance.

However as your emphasis is on video and the 500D doesn't allow manual control or take an external mic, I would recommend you buy the body that first meets the video requirements.

I don't shoot any video, but from what I have tinkered with on the DSLR would make me believe that manual focus is really the only way to go at the moment.

I think Jessops just made up my mind for me... the 500D has now been terminated! therfore leaving me with only 1 option... the 550D which seems the be the better camera, cant wait to get it tonight and have a fiddle! anyone got any tips for me as a first time DSLR owner?

Apart from the obvious 'read the manual' responses and depending on what you already know about shooting modes, composition and exposure.

I would say try and learn the 'feel' of the camera, learn how to hold it efficiently and steady, learn where the buttons are and what they do so when the camera is at eye you can adjust the settings whilst still looking through the viewfinder.

I think Jessops just made up my mind for me... the 500D has now been terminated! therfore leaving me with only 1 option...

Well except that Jessops are far from being your only option!

500D is a very capable camera. Dont brush it to one side in your choice.

If I'm not too late, you can order the 500D from the Canon Ebay outlet store at the minute (as I did in February, very happy with it). It's £330 with the kit lens, which leaves you enough money to get a longer lens with your change (I got the Canon IS 55-250 which is a great lens for the money, around £140 on amazon).

The Ebay store sells Canon refurb models, but they come with the same model as a brand new camera. Mine arrived without a scratch, works perfectly, and I have had no problems as of yet!

EDIT: aaaand I forgot the link, check it out here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outl...?_fsub=3&_sid=114950978&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Thanks for the link but unforunatly you are too late, i went to the Jessops store last night... they had both cameras in stock but i evetually went for the 550D very pleased with it so far, will be taking it out for some shooting tonight, if theres no rain!! the reason i went for the 550D, i have a 75-300mm of my girlfriends that i can use until i buy myself one in the very near future, i also have my eyes on a very nice bag that can hold lens, camera, accessories, MacBook Air and all your other junk only £50!! i am going on a 8 month trip to Australia and New Zealand next month so will be buying all my kit before it go.

Thanks,

Owen

Back