Canon 50mm 1.8

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I now this info is possible to find online but maybe someone could break it down faster here. There are two AF 50mm 1.8 lenses by Canon? Because I see there is a II version. Have you had both and how do they compare? Thanks

Hi all,

I now this info is possible to find online but maybe someone could break it down faster here. There are two AF 50mm 1.8 lenses by Canon? Because I see there is a II version. Have you had both and how do they compare? Thanks

I've owned a few copies of the MK2 over the years. Never owned the MK1 version but I believe the only differences are cosmetic rather than in IQ. The MK1 version is more solidly built with a metal mount, as apposed to the MK2's plastic mount and I believe the MK1 also has a focus window on the outside fo the lens.

Because of all of the above the MK1 tends to go for double the price of the MK2 but if I was to buy another I'd try and find a nice example of a MK1 - mainly due to it having a metal mount.

Mk1 is very slow and noisy focusing wise. The new usm version is miles better

The new STM version of the canon 50mm F1.8 lens has been getting good reviews, has a metal mount and appears to be made to a better standard than the MKII lens. It may be worth a look.

I've had the 1.8 II, 1.4 and 1.8 STM. The 1.8 STM is definitely a big improvement over the old 1.8 II. Unless you need 1.4, I'd definitely opt for the STM. I was very impressed with it for the money :)

And if you need the 1.4 don't buy the canon it is naff wide open.

I'm not sure about the mk1 but the mk2 will fall apart if a dandelion seed happens to strike it whilst being blown along on a gentle breeze. :D

Loads seem to say that. I found mine was ok. Was certainly sharp where I was focussing.

I wouldn't buy another though now you have the STM. It is a really good improvement.

It wasn't just the lack of sharpness the contrast fell off a cliff wiser than 1.8 can't believe canon are still selling it in this day and age!

Hi.

I could not tell you differance as I have only owned the mark 2.
All I will say is it sits on my 6d more than any other lens. It's small light and quick maybe it's plastic but I use it all the time and i'm not that careful it can stand a bit of rough and tumble.

Gaz

I'm not sure about the mk1 but the mk2 will fall apart if a dandelion seed happens to strike it whilst being blown along on a gentle breeze. :D
Granted, its plasticky, but I've had mine for 10 years now and with regular use its still as new and pumping out great images! I've had a couple of much more expensive lenses fail before then :)

That said, I do want to swap it for the STM version...

Canon 50 mm ÌI is an excellent lens for the money. Do not put off by its look and noise.

Canon 50 mm ÌI is an excellent lens for the money. Do not put off by its look and noise.

The new STM version is better in every way. It's a good lens, full stop. Not a good lens, if you're lucky, and with-hit-and miss focusing. It's even more of a bargain - currently £87 on Amazon.

The new STM version is better in every way. It's a good lens, full stop. Not a good lens, if you're lucky, and with-hit-and miss focusing. It's even more of a bargain - currently £87 on Amazon.
I was comparing with the previous MK1 version. I haven't used the new STM version. I currently use 1.2 version.

I bought the stm lens a few months ago & i am delighted with it.:):banana:

If you get a good mk2, you're quids in :)

Thinking about picking up the STM today though...

It's simple.
If you want a cheap 1.8 - the new STM version is a no brainer. If you want something faster - the Canon 1.4 doesn't offer enough of an improvement in my book - you'd have to get the Sigma.

Back