Canon 50mm f1.8 discontinued?

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
Rumours of the above on DPReview forums, Jessops saying stock is marked as discontinued etc. I doubt they'll get rid of such a good selling lens so maybe it will be upgraded but just in case, if you want one go get it now.

I doubt they'll get rid of such a popular lens format. They'll bring a Mk. III I'm sure.

Saying that, obviously the Mk. I is the best one to get.... lol

Yeah but how much will the MkIII be?

Trust my luck :icon_eek:
I've got my second order for it in after 7dayshop pulled the Canon plug.
Been waiting 2 weeks now

7 day are no longer carrying any Canon lenses mate

I would cancel your order and buy elsewhere while you can just incase they (Canon) are stopping production.

Yes that is what I meant. The new order is through the company I work for via Sangers, who don't stock it so they wait until they have a sufficient quantity order to order from Canon.

Ain't looking good is it?

Sorry, my bad.

No I must admit it is not looking good...if you really want one of these great lenses then I would pick one up at the first chance you get even if its a little more expensive than you have seen it elsewhere.

onestopdigital seem to have them, reasonable price too.

Warehouse Express are showing it still but the price is a little steep...

Canon EF50mm f1.8 II (52mm) £73

EDIT Onestop is probably a better bet ;)

Steve is right, Onestop look the best option at the moment

Reading this makes me glad I picked up a Mk1 when I did.

regards

Yeah its feels quite small and insignificant in the flesh, after seeing all the pictures and reading the hipe I was quite dissapointed when mine arrived, luckily the quality it produces lived up to all that I had read. :)

I am glad you finally managed to get one Bachs, especially after all the hassel you had with 7dayshop.

As soon as I saw this thread I searched high and low for some but none seemed to be in stock, just on the off chance the girlfriend phoned the local Jessops and they had a MKI 2nd hand (perfect condition) for £43, lets just say I'm happy :D

I've had a very quick play with it tonight and my kit lens will be going in the recycle bin with the rotting cabbage and teabags.

Great for indoor shots, back it off a couple of notches to it's sweet spot and it's tack sharp.

Hunts around on the old focus in low light but I'm becoming a bit of a fan of manual focus anyway and the lack of USM doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think this is going to be a great indoor portrait lens :banana:

Bachs said:
Hunts around on the old focus in low light but I'm becoming a bit of a fan of manual focus anyway and the lack of USM doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think this is going to be a great indoor portrait lens :banana:

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a general trend eschewing the alleged benefits of AF and AE.

It seems to me that these days most people try as much as possible to use the manual functions of their camera? I can understand it with AE as certain situations will fool even the most advanced AE system, but surely AF is far better? I've never used an AF SLR, only the Contax and the Kodak compacts have AF and I've never once had a problem with them.

Somebody explain? Please?

gandhi said:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a general trend eschewing the alleged benefits of AF and AE.

It seems to me that these days most people try as much as possible to use the manual functions of their camera? I can understand it with AE as certain situations will fool even the most advanced AE system, but surely AF is far better? I've never used an AF SLR, only the Contax and the Kodak compacts have AF and I've never once had a problem with them.

Somebody explain? Please?

When you have cheap gear and it lets you down sometimes. it's a viable alternative....no other reason!

ah, ok then!

What construes cheap? Sorry for all the questions but I have an inquisitive mind! As far as SLR's go I've only ever used manual focus, bit tricky when you're very short sighted but I've managed. Do Dslr's work in the same way? I.e. you have a split screen centre and the 2 halves match when it's focused?

Cheap was the wrong choice of words... I meant 'lower end' or 'entry level'

which most of the time can produce stunning results, but sometimes under testing circumstances it can let you down.

I fell I'm digging myself a hole :icon_eek:

gandhi said:
ah, ok then!

What construes cheap? Sorry for all the questions but I have an inquisitive mind! As far as SLR's go I've only ever used manual focus, bit tricky when you're very short sighted but I've managed. Do Dslr's work in the same way? I.e. you have a split screen centre and the 2 halves match when it's focused?

As far as i am aware, NO most DSLR do not have a manual focus screen, but for some, they are available to buy as an aftermarket option

Some of the pro DSLR cameras are available with split screens from the manufacturers(1D,1Ds,5D etc), and you can get third party addon screens to fit just about every DSLR for very little money.

One of the more popular third party ones is made by Haoda, more info from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/screen4DSLR/

Back