Canon 550d serial # query ...

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
As a newbie I hope you don't mind me asking a question so quickly.

I recently bought via ebay a Canon 550D. No problem with the camera except that when I checked the number stamped on the plate at the bottom of the camera it was different to that shown in the exif details/firmware ?

Is this normal or should they both be the same. The camera works perfectly except I need the numbers to log with my insurance company. Before I send in the details I hope someone might have a suggestion or is there a site I can go to to check the serial numbers.

Thanks in adance.

Dave :)

They should basically match. Canon UK tend not to touch them if there is a mismatch.

Someone is attaching counterfeit labels and serial numbers to camera bodies, possibly to hide the true origin of them.

Search for other threads on the subject, here's one for starters

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=464954

People have had it with 7D, 5DM3 and 650D recently too.

When I checked the serial number on the base of the camera with the exif details within I found they were different. I then contacted Canon UK and was shocked to find that my camera, although genuine was infact a 'grey' market product. Obviously I am aware that the initial one years guarantee from Canon has now expired but my main worry is that if and when I decide to sell the camera in the future. I have tried contacting the seller and sent him details of what Canon say but as expected heard nothing back from him. Maybe he was unaware of the problem ? but my main question to him was where did he buy it from ... not too much to ask and might help me get to the bottom of this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*The camera was bought via EBay/paypal from a private UK buyer.

COPY OF E.MAIL I RECEIVED YESTERDAY FROM CANON UK :

Please be advised that both the internal and external serial numbers on our DSLR cameras should match. The camera itself appears to be genuine, however the external serial number is counterfeit.
Please be advised that we would not repair counterfeit products as they have been tampered with.

We would advise to forward our original email onto the seller to request a refund. This seller can then approach their retailer with the same correspondence to request a refund.
Please enlist the help of trading standards to seek a refund from the seller.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited:
As I said in your other post, your chances of forcing a refund from a private seller after 6-9 months are pretty non-existent.

If it's a counterfeit sticker, just remove it, it's not like the camera needs it for future warranty service. There is nothing wrong with the camera, the genuine serial can be read in the firmware, what purpose is the fake sticker going to achieve? Other than to create confusion.

When you sell, make it plain that its a grey body and that the original external sticker is no longer on the camera.

Thanks guys for your prompt answers and I think that I will remove the sticker as suggested by Dave1.

Back