Canon 580EX off-shoe cord - help needed!

Edit My Images
Yes
Im after an off shoe cord for a Speedlite 580EX (not the mark 2). I cant find one listed on the canon web site. In my the manual which came with the camera they list 'off camera shoe cord 2' but this seems virtually impossible to buy now yet plenty of places list OC-E3 which they say is suitable for the 580EX Mk2. Will this fit my model as well?
Im really confused!

Kerso does the OC-E3 for £39, I've just ordered one with my new flash.
Found a cheapy on Ebay for £20 which I'm going to have a go at extending.

Here's a cheap one . Is this the one you bought markp? Is it any good? I suppose you can't go wrong with this type of thing, can you? It's only a few wires and a connector at each end isn't it?

I'm interested even if he's not!

markp, I guess it should work OK, or they wouldn't be selling it. Just want to know if it looks like it's going to break in a week!! And how it compares to the OEM, as you've got one of those too.

mmcp42, if you want to go for that one, go ahead. I'm still umming and arring here ...

Yeh I'll compare the two leads. I'm guessing the guy's got a few of them since I've bought one from him already.

If you want one extended then I can probably do that for you. I'll see how I get on with mine this weekend - it won't be a "black electrical tape" and twisted wires job by any means! I intend to make it reliable and look good.

we'll be expecting the full monty with pics at every stage!:nuts:

oh, ok then!

Well, the moment you've all (not) been waiting for...

(Sorry this is so brief, I'm a bit pushed for time)

The box:
IMG_5794.jpg

Canon lead top, Ebay lead bottom.
IMG_5795.jpg

The Camera-end of the Canon connector:
IMG_5799.jpg

The Camera-end of the Ebay connector:
IMG_5801.jpg

It definitely looks and feels cheaper, although fits well on both the camera and the flash without any movement.

Cable is a bit thinner so puts up less resistance when stretched, but may also be a bit more prone to damage/wear.
Canon lead has a locking "switch", where the Ebay one just has a twisty dial to clamp down on the camera.

The Canon has metal brackets on both ends, while the Ebay jobbie has a metal bracket on the flash end, but a plastic clip on the camera end, which will probably wear down on the camera's hotshoe bracket over time. Also note the pins that connect to the hotshow on the camera are more pointed than the round ones of the Canon - this too could cause more wear on the camera's hotshoe.

Alright for £20 I guess, and fine for what I need it for, but you do definitely get a lot more for your money with the build quality of the OC-E3.

Thanks for that Mark.
Still undecided whether to get one or not, as I'm not sure how much I will use it (hence looking for a cheapie).

Does both cords allow use of E-TTL?

I am new to flash photography and want everything automatic for now as I am not confident in my abilty to use manual flash.

Back