Canon 580EXII question :)

Ant

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, i have the above flash, and have been playing with it over the last few days.

problem i get atm, is that i cannot use the ETTL flash other than when i'm using fully automatic shooting, then if i want to use AV, P, TV or M i have to use the fully manual flash or the multi setting.

now forgive me if i'm missing something huge, but in the manual it's saying that i can use ETTL shooting with the appropriate lens (I've been using my 70-200L @70mm) when using AV, P, TV and M. Just i can't seem to get the flash to fire, leaving very dark images for when i wanted a flash.

Anyone got any ideas to what could be the cause, or am i overlooking something.

i did however, only get my first flash last week, and i'm only just learning.

Could be something simple like shutter speed, try setting the camera to M the at iso 100 set 1/60 shutter speed and f4 and take a picture @ 70mm and see how it comes out.

make sure the flash is set to ettl there is no compensation set.

Not sure but shouldn't they sync at 1/200

Paul

Not sure but shouldn't they sync at 1/200
1/200 is the maximum sync speed you can use without enabling high speed sync, which is an option on the 580EX I/II. You can use any shutter speed you like that is at 1/200 or slower without any special settings anywhere.

There is a custom function to disable the flash on the 30D and 40D and I guess it's the same on the 400D too. Many (all?) of the customs functions are ineffective in the basic zone. My guess is that a custom function has been incorrectly set. I can't think of any other reason why the flash would work in the basic zone but not the creative zone.

EDIT : Scratch that last bit. I checked the 400D manual and can find no mention of a facility to disable the flash. The facility to disable the flash definitely exists for the 30D and 40D.

1.Without sounding rude, did you also set your flash to autozoom?

2.The flash can only normally sync to 1/200 (400D) or 1/250 (40D). Obviously if your camera requires higher speed then you will get underexposure.

i've tried it with the kit lens that i have, and it's the same, and i did set the flash to autozoom.

The other lenses i have are primes, not zooms part from the kit lens,

Even in P, i get no flash, nor do i get a flash in TV mode, even if i set the shutter speed to 1/200, as it is a 400d that i am using.

when i take the camera off full auto mode, the flash stops saying ETTL in the display, and just changes to E.

this is also the same with my kit lens, the 18-55mm lens, only fires and says ETTL when it's on fully auto.

Just cant get the flash to fire at all apart from on fully auto...

Clutching at straws....

- Make sure the contacts on the flash and the camera hotshoe are clean.

- Make sure the flash is properly locked into position and clamped down. i.e. you must swing the locking lever round to the locked position. It's no good just resting the flash in the hotshoe.

- If that doesn't work, try putting some light pressure on the flash to help push its contacts down onto the camera.

- If that doesn't work then I suggest you clear all camera settings and clear the custom functions as well.

- Make sure that Flash CFn:5 is set to 0. In fact, until you get this sorted you may want to make sure all Flash CFns are set to 0. If your camera has a flash control dialogue then you can clear the flash settings in one hit from the camera. See page 32 of the flash manual.

- Make sure the flash is not set to slave mode. I don't see why this would affect only the creative zone but it is a long shot, just like all the others.

Beyond that I have no idea what is going on. Maybe you can try another camera to see if you can isolate the problem to the flash, or another flash, to isolate the problem to your camera.

Have you tried posting on the POTN Small Flash Forum? - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35 - maybe someone there will have a better idea. There is also the Strobist Forum on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/ - maybe try asking there.

Nice one.

Somehow, my personal settings had stopped the flash from firing, now it works properly.

dunno which one it was, as i reset everything.

It all works now, so i'm happy.

Thanks everyone :)

Back