Canon 5D IV + Wired Elinchrom Strobe

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Have been enjoying the 5DIV for a few months now without the need for strobe. Last night I decided to use it with my ancient, but decent Elinchrom 1000 head. I have a lead and hotshoe adaptor. The setup works fine with my other camera, a Nikon D7100. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the Canon to fire the Elinchrom... Oddly, it did fire it once (after a few attempts), but not again. When I go into the speedlight / flash menu, I don't seem to get any options at all - whatever I do I can't get deeper into trigger options.

I most likely am doing something stupid... Any comments appreciated.

NB - I ought to get a remote adaptor i know. But I use strobes so rarely and the Nikon is happy.

Thanks in advance!

It should work fine - if it’s just a central pin fire.
Were you perchance shooting live view or tethered?

T'was in LV - but not tethered. Can't recall if I tried in VF mode (think I did but not 100%)

Thanks!

T'was in LV - but not tethered. Can't recall if I tried in VF mode (think I did but not 100%)

Thanks!
There’s a menu option to enable flash in ??
Check your manual.

I dont know if it'll work, but I had problems with a canon and my then studio flash some years ago, it turned out the polarity of the camera conflicted with the flash sync. I made a lead that reversed the polarity and bobs your uncle (you could buy one ready made then) it was only one model that did it, others worked fine. I'm afraid I cant remember which model it now, (not a 5d) but it's possible it's the same issue.
EDIT it's the sync lead you reverse

Last edited:
@WD40
On the 2nd live view menu, you’ll find Silent LV shoot, it needs to be set to disable, Canon seem to think that by default we want to be stealthy if we’re in Live View :thinking:

And consequently they switch off the flash firing.:bat:

@WD40
On the 2nd live view menu, you’ll find Silent LV shoot, it needs to be set to disable, Canon seem to think that by default we want to be stealthy if we’re in Live View :thinking:

And consequently they switch off the flash firing.:bat:
The Olympus Pen F is similar - silent mode disables the flash :banghead: Won't make that mistake again.

Thanks! Haven't had a chance to confirm yet, but this might well be the case.

Back